How to prevent over-cooling? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Nealius
Veteran

Default How to prevent over-cooling?

I've run into a problem of engine failure while RTB on mission 2 of the Big Show campaign, and I suspect it's due to over-cooling of the engine.

I'm less than 10 minutes out from Ford on my way home cruising 220mph at 2,500' RPM 2650 Boost 0. I dumped my external tank during the engagement, main fuel cock ON, fuel gauge indicating 100% fuel.

RPM suddenly drops to 2200. Oil pressure 100, seems okay. Oil temp 60. Rad temp is around 40-50, which doesn't seem right. OAT on the mission is 18C, and the engine just quits on me so I have to ditch in the water.

I don't see any carb heat or engine heat anywhere, nor do I see a way to manually close the radiator. So how do I keep the thing warm?

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10

Last edited by Nealius; 09-17-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
philstyle

Make sure you are on auto radiator, which you should be by default.
Also, ensure the fuel pressure valve is in the "on" position. You might be loosing fuel pressure, rather than suffering from a cooling issue.

I have not experienced this issue at all in Misison 2.

Incidentally, when you get to mission 3, can you adivse if it is playable for you. I can't complete mission 3 due to FPS losses when the bombers spawn in.

i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Nealius
Veteran

Radiator was on auto. Fuel pressure was fine as indicated by no warning light lit, and I was at very low altitude. I understand the fuel pressure valve to be only necessary when the fuel pressure warning is lit--which it was not.

Mission three is playable for me, but I got torn to shreds because my lack of rearward visibility and no one is kind enough to tell me if a bandit is on my tail.

That said, running VR with everything on low and I disabled wake turbulence. Wake turbulence kills fps for some strange reason.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
Radiator was on auto. Fuel pressure was fine as indicated by no warning light lit, and I was at very low altitude. I understand the fuel pressure valve to be only necessary when the fuel pressure warning is lit--which it was not.

Hmm, odd.... I'm out of ideas on that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
That said, running VR with everything on low and I disabled wake turbulence. Wake turbulence kills fps for some strange reason.

interesting, maybe I need to try the mission again, with WTurb turned off.

i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Nealius
Veteran

I just flew Mission 4 and didn't have any problems. My RAD temp dipped down to about 50-55 while RTB, and during descent I saw it drop a little more so I maxed the RPM and ran +8 to keep the temps around 70.

Thing is, how can I heat up the engine like that without increasing my speed?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
razo+r
Veteran

Do maneuvers. It is not possible to descent with high power settings while maintaining lower speeds.
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Nealius
Veteran

Even in level flight though, I'll get up somewhere between 250-300. If I'm following AI (as you frequently are in the Big Show) it's not practicable.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
hazzer

Think there are issues with the coolant in all piston aircraft in dcs
Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
grafspee

Cooling in planes are done quite different than in cars.
Temp is regulated via coolant doors,cowl flaps etc, So in ww2 planes you just simply regulate amount of air passing through radiators.
As you noticed even fully closed radiators arent real closed completely, Fully closed position is often the lesser drag position for those things.
So you cant cruise at too low settings it will over cool engine if you run on low boost.
Same thing with descending, just cant cut throttle and dive in those planes.
Im not sure what to say about higher oil temp than coolant temp but i would say if coolant radiator is first in row and oil radiator is behind it can be possible but i dont know how this is aranged in spitfire.
I would say stick to engine chart limits and cruise at +4 if its still too cold cruise ad higher boost.
I noticed that spit has its radiators even if closed they look still quite open, this may lead to overcooling at low power settings.
If any one has any drawings about oil/ coolent system i would happily look at it
Oil system has thermostatic valve which prevent ovecooling so it maby be possible that oil temp will hold up even in low power setting.
Coolant system has thermostatic valve which will cut radiators off if temp will go too low
I have flown in very coold temps in spit in dcs looks like this is not modeled in DCS becouse i bearly could reach 40 celcius at coolant temp and 40C is way too low.
Acording to dcs manual, whne coolant temp is below 80C thermostatic valve is direcing coolant to pump inlet bypassing radiators completely so its not possible drop to 50C at cruise power even +0 Lbs boost is equivalent of 30inch for p-51 which is more than ok for cruise. By look of that, thermostatic valves arent modeled in dcs at all.
By looks of this Cooling is wacked in spitfire by great deal.
So in that case 80C should be rock steady in crusing settings
In that case you would have to cut power completely for quite long time to see temps below 70C

Last edited by grafspee; 09-18-2019 at 10:44 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
borisbarzotto

Maybe set Carb air filter in operation?
borisbarzotto is offline   Reply With Quote