HUD problem on F15C and A-10A and a-10C

146ti

HUD problem on F15C and A-10A and a-10C.

Please reduce the angular size of HUD indication to real volumes for USA aircraft.

When move the eye point back, i see all the cockpit frame and mirrors, but the words of the hud is to big for the frame of the hud.

If use FOV instead of move eye point, all is view how fish eye.

Thanks. Pilot from Argentina.

By your description, you're seeing the way a real HUD works. It is focused on infinity, so if you lean in closer the size of the symbology remains constant as compared to objects far away but it will appear smaller as compared to the HUD frame.

Conversely, if you lean back the symbology becomes bigger as compared to the HUD frame and will eventually not fit on the HUD combiner and you will not see the entire HUD picture.

In real life, the pilot's eye position is very carefully specified. You can't move your virtual head away from this position and expect the HUD to keep working correctly. Instead, you have to use FOV to see more of the cockpit. When you try to squeeze a 135 degree field of view into a screen occupying 30 degrees of your actual field of view, you will get a fish-eye effect - no way around it I'm afraid.

Find a FOV setting you're comfortable with, as a good compromise between lack of fish-eye effect and field of view.

Cheers,

/Fred

146ti is right, the default view positions look weird.

Default A-10A viewpoint is very close to the instrument panel:

attachment.php?attachmentid=96558&stc=1&d=1396984258

Probably more realistic viewpoint has HUD projection spilling over the HUD frame:

attachment.php?attachmentid=96559&stc=1&d=1396984258

While the HUD symbol angular size and the HUD frame dimensions might be to real world specifications, I think the problems come from a lack of binocular vision. Binocular vision allows for more viewable HUD area than monocular vision, therefore the HUD projection was scaled accordingly in the real thing. On the computer we have a single viewpoint only, so the HUD projection is larger than the reflector glass when viewed from the correct head position:

attachment.php?attachmentid=96560&stc=1&d=1396984258

ED "solved" this issue by moving the default viewpoint closer to the HUD frame, therefore increasing the angular size of the glass while the angular size of the projection remains constant (due to being focused in infinity). The result is that the A-10 and the F-15 have very unnatural looking default viewpoints. For some this might be a minor issue. And I say: good for them. For me unfortunately it is quite a big immersion breaker. Hundreds of man-hours were spent to create this beautiful cockpits that look like the real thing, and then we are supposed to sit in it with the head on the dashboard? One of the biggest reasons I don't like to fly the A-10 and F-15, it simply kills the suspension of sitting in the cockpit for me.

• 3 years later...
Hundreds of man-hours were spent to create this beautiful cockpits that look like the real thing, and then we are supposed to sit in it with the head on the dashboard? One of the biggest reasons I don't like to fly the A-10 and F-15, it simply kills the suspension of sitting in the cockpit for me.

-------I have the same feeling. If you compare the A-10 and F-15 in Lockon 2, you may find the hud glass is much wider, but in Lockon2, dunno know why they became so narrow, so we have to move our head closer to view all the info on the hud. Bad feeling. And ED seems forgot to check and review this for 3 years.:doh:

HUD problem on F15C and A-10A and a-10C.

Please reduce the angular size of HUD indication to real volumes for USA aircraft.

When move the eye point back, i see all the cockpit frame and mirrors, but the words of the hud is to big for the frame of the hud.

If use FOV instead of move eye point, all is view how fish eye.

Thanks. Pilot from Argentina.

The real problem is that you need to get a VR headset! You're used to flying from a certain view point, but DCS is designed to work more like a real aircraft. Get a VR headset and you'll see that!

Edited by mytai01

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...