Will the dedicated servers need to purchase the Normandy map?

ViFF

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I searched but could not find any discussion or request on the subject.

Will the dedicated servers need to purchase the Normandy map?

For example the server DCS ISRAEL is not a PC in somebody's home but on a dedicated root server sitting in a data center. This server has been financed every year since 2013 by the Israeli community and friends when we transitioned to DCS from IL2.

We have been hosting missions on this server for the benefit of the whole DCS community as well as our own, and you find the server on the public list 24/7 with it being 99% of the time open without password for anybody to join and have fun on mission setups like the "Training for All" and the "Ace of Spades" Air to Air engagements with exports to statistic pages that was created by Xcom.

Similarly I imagine that there are other data center located servers that have been a long time with DCS World, with involved people creating missions and hosting for the benefit of the whole community, like TAW and STP and some others I apologies in advance for not mentioning, but the list isn't that large.

In short I am asking here of the community managers here (Sith, etc) please ask on behalf of us who have been actively hosting DCS World dedicated servers for several years now to make some kind of arrangement that we won't have to buy an additional key of the Normandy map just for having it run on our dedicated server that sits in a data center.

I hope we can reach some sort of trust based arrangement similar to what was done for the IL2 BoS/BoM dedicated servers who did not need to buy an additional copy of IL2 BoS/BoM just for the sake of them being able to run a dedicated server host.

S!

Edited by ViFF

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

If you can afford a rental server in a data center...well the cost of a map is not that much.

So I can do the same thing at home with a second PC. I would not expect a free copy just because I run a dediserv.

Its great these servers run 24/7 with missions for all to enjoy. Surely everyone appreciates that.

Ive seen orgs take donations to defray the cost of servers etc. maybe a webpage that accepts donations would be helpful to help pay down cost and purchase the maps...

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

All servers are hosts, I or you can host a server 24/7 from your house if you wish, There are no dedicated servers, Hosts need to buy the map to get the key to host that map on there server.

One day (Maybe) ED will get dedicated server, But me or you would rent them, And therefore would still need to buy the map :)

Don't freak out people. Last time someone asked about this (like last week? :music_whistling:), some mod and/or dev said they are fully aware of the problem and they will take care of it, just they are thinking out a solution.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Why would ED make stuff for free? ;)

Good question! I totally agree with you, ED should not make "stuff" for free, but I think that some "stuff" is real content like 3d art and textures and systems modelling and some "stuff" is code that enables the product to run that content better/bigger/faster/smoother in multiplayer sessions.

The interesting thing here is that many people who join multiplayer end up buying more modules from ED as a result of them having a good experience in those sessions. The existance of the multiplayer session is in part the result of content created by mission designers. So in fact ED is benefiting from this partnership of giving "stuff" for free (mission editor, free hosting, etc) for the community to create a synergy that becomes to the benefit of ED .

DCS World is similar in that respect: you can host missions with all the paid content (aircraft modules) without having to own a key for all the modules available to be flown in the mission you are hosting.

Similarly, a dedicated server shouldn't need any user content such as 3d art and textures, only the code necessary to host a session, and a command line or window based form of console / UI to manage it without any question of having this key or that key for an aircraft or for a map.

The common practice of other developers is the same, they offer free dedicated server able to do hosting sessions for users that have all or partial content of the product.

IL2 1946 - free dedicated server

IL2 COD - free dedicated server

IL2 BoS/BoM - free dedicated server

ARMA 3 - free dedicated server

Sorry, I'm from IL2 so other then ARMA this list is just off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more examples.

Cheers

Edited by ViFF

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

• 11 months later...
  • ED Team

Dedicated Server has been stated as planned, but probably wont get a lot of activity till we are well into the Great Merge (2.5 and beyond). Many things are coming that will change the core game, all those have to stabilize in order to add on features like this.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

pretty much everyone else apart from ED gives you a free dedicated server for

hosting and none of them require you purchasing any DLC to host (not actually playing on the host copy)

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• ED Team
I would have hoped a multiplayer dedicated server was high on the list / a core feature, there is a huge amount of gamers that ONLY play multiplayer like myself. singleplayer just isn't that interesting

I cant go into details, but there are some core changes coming that would impact how it works, those need to be laid down before *I believe* they can move forward with options like this. It's easy to forget that ED is building a new game on top of an old one, so not just the surface needs to be polished, but the foundation as well.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Dunno about you guys, but I am all ready and set for an "Early Access" server

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests