Help Please

dokken1212

Hi guys,

Being new to DCS I am keen to explore WW2 flight simming with the P51. I am keen to purchase the Normandy Map and Assets pack plus the P51 aircraft. Is this all i need to buy to get started? Will there be missions I can use with this or do I need to buy other modules?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any help.

All the very best

Computer Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Thermaltake 360 AIO Water Cooler

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RGB RAM

GeForce RTX 2080 Super [ NVIDIA]

512GB Adata M2 NVME (boot drive)

1TB Adata M2 NVME

1TB WD Blue SSD

Corsair RM850x Power Supply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Case

Samsung 43" 4K Smart TV (used as monitor)

TRACK IR 5 + Wireless DelanClip Head Tracker

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

Well, if the choice was on me, unless I was a real P51d fan, I would pick a different ww2 module - either the 2 available Axis aircraft, or the mighty Spitfire, because when you install the DCS 2.1.1 Open Alpha you already get a TF-51d which you can use in cargo and reconnaissance flights.

The P51d is pretty much the same, less the armament...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Hi guys,

Being new to DCS I am keen to explore WW2 flight simming with the P51. I am keen to purchase the Normandy Map and Assets pack plus the P51 aircraft. Is this all i need to buy to get started? Will there be missions I can use with this or do I need to buy other modules?

All the very best

There's not all that much to explore to be honest, because the whole WWII part of DCS is still an early work in progress at the moment and the other Russian-developed simulator on the market is a better offer in this regard. I would wait if I were you for more fleshed out experience in DCS.

That being said, products you mentioned are enough for getting briefly started. There's a few in-game Normandy missions for P-51, plus probably a couple of user-made ones available on this site. Plus, of course, a powerful mission generator if you're not shy of making missions yourself. No campaigns for P-51 now, altough we know from newsletters that there is an official, payware one being worked on. The only Normandy campaign available now it the "Epsom" one for the Spitfire, also available in the ED store.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi guys,

All the very best

To add to what the others have already said, there is a "P-51D High Stakes" campaign which runs on the default Caucasian map and is quite nice.

You can also simply download DCS 1.5 for free, which has this Caucasian map and the TF-51D, this will give you a pretty good idea. The P-51D is of course more polished and has the weapons system.

Regarding the Normandy map and the Epsom campaign for the Spitfire, make sure you have a top-notch PC, currently it's almost impossible to play otherwise (I'd actually wait a bit for this one). Among others, a fast SSD is mandatory to help with the long loading times and especially the stuttering.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Firstly, to clear some things up, DCS World is free to download and use for as long as you wish. No try-n-buy license. DCS World is currently on version 1.5.7, and includes, also completely free, the Caucasus map, the TF-51D trainer aircraft, which is basically a two seater P-51D with no weapons and a rear jump seat which is basically for decoration as it cannot be used, and the SU-25T Frogfoot '80's era Russian ground attack aircraft (you might call it the East Block Thunderbolt II/Warthog).

The Caucasus map is currently being updated to a new map-building technology, which will make it much more realistic visually. Look here for some work-in-progress screenshots: New caucasus map. I it will probably be released, as far as we can tell, this year. Once it is released, DCS World 1.5.7 will be merged with the current alpha pre-release version of DCS World (2.1) as DCS World 2.5.

DCSW 2.5 will be free and include the new Caucasus map, the TF-51D, and the SU-25T as previously, but will also be capable of using the DLC WWII-era Normandy map, the DLC modern era Nevada NTTR (National Test and Training Range) map, and the coming DLC modern Strait of Hormuz map.

As the Normandy and NTTR maps are not publicly release yet --they are either still in their beta or alpha stages-- there is very little in missions available of yet on those maps, especially for WWII era aircraft. There is a DLC Operation Epsom campaign for the Spitfire Mk-IX LF, but nothing else, So, no training or tutorial missions on the Normandy map; not even for modules you have purchased, like the P-51D. They only exist for the Caucasus map.

What can you expect running DCSW on your PC? It WILL eat as many graphics computing resources as you allow it to use. Disregarding VR (Virtual Reality: Oculus CV1, etc., which is an unbelievable resource eater) you can turn up graphics details until it will reduce all but the highest-end PC's with over-clocked CPU and GPU, with water cooling, into an over-heated whimpering mass of silicon and gold. Well, actually, it will just stutter your face off. And the very highest-end PC will actually run DCSW on the highest graphics settings and still maintain good FPS. But those are really highly tuned and OC'ed systems.

That being said, when I started out with DCSW, two and a half years ago, my CPU was very mid-line (i7-920 @ 2.66GHz native, w/ overboost to about 2.8GHz), my GPU was mid-line (HD-4780), my whole system was very mid-line. But I was still just able to run DCSW in single-player, without other aircraft or vehicles, just me learning to fly, and still got around 40-50FPS most of the time. On the ground it was closer to 20-25, but hey, I was trying to get away from that anyway :). Maybe you can extrapolate how your PC will run DCSW from my experience.

I also flew multiplayer a few times after having the feeling that I could at least take-off and land fairly reliably, but every time an enemy got close to me, my system started to stutter and nearly freeze-up, so it will rather futile, and lead to my first HW upgrade. I've gone thru 3 others since then, not including just controllers, but including building an entirely new PC, which I also upgraded since building it. I might yet upgrade my CPU again, and I designed my system to have a lot of room to go upwards at the least investment, but I think you get the picture.

The Normandy map is still a huge resource eater. We are all hoping that ED will be able to tame it some more, but being very flat means your visual horizon is almost always the geographical horizon, and the huge number of trees and buildings means the player will probably have to tweak down his graphics considerably compared to the current Caucasus map, and probably the new one as well.

If you already have some experience with a realistic sims and you already know how to fly, just download DCSW 1.5.7 and try it out with the TF-51D. It should probably not be too much work for you to set up your controllers and get down to flying and gather enough experience to decide what you want to do.

If the most challenging virtual-flying you've done is more akin to Battlefield jets and helicopters... you have a lot to learn; not just in flying, but in getting everything set up to fly. How far you go, will depend on how ready you are to put in the initial work, because there will be a lot of it.

One thing I can say for certain, if you show readiness to put in the effort, this community has always been willing to help out with information and assistance where it can. They are a great bunch of guys (and gals, but that might just be an urban legend ;) ).

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thank you very much everyone, really appreciate the information and advice. Very kind of you all :-). I have downloaded DCS World and bought FC3 and will use this in the meantime until both DCS versions 'merge' and becomes one unified product as it were. In the meantime to satiate the WW2 itch I got IL2 Stalingrad and Moscow and will await developments on the WW2 era with DCS. I went IL2 as they are bringing out a career' update in the next few months which will make the game feel a little more interesting. So right now I have the best of both worlds I think and will await DCS getting WW2 up and going in a serious way :-). Thanks everyone :-)

Computer Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

Thermaltake 360 AIO Water Cooler

32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz RGB RAM

GeForce RTX 2080 Super [ NVIDIA]

512GB Adata M2 NVME (boot drive)

1TB Adata M2 NVME

1TB WD Blue SSD

Corsair RM850x Power Supply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Case

Samsung 43" 4K Smart TV (used as monitor)

TRACK IR 5 + Wireless DelanClip Head Tracker

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly: