Gazelle Flight Dynamics... Again. - Page 23 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #221
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
Generally speaking, coding an helicopter FM is an order of magnitude more complex than a fixed wing. Imagine coding one big fix wing versus 2 or 4 (or 6 for the Ka50) rotating ones constantly changing Aoa and flexing. Add to that a propeller that pushes sideway (tail rotor). This adds some interesting consequences: vortex ring state, settling with power, loss of tail rotor effectiveness, dynamic rollover, retreating blade stall, in ground effect, effective transitional lift,... And of course a permanent unstability and 4 controls (cyclic, collective, thrust, rudder) that are intricately correlated. Things that FW pilots don't really need to worry about. Also the reason why there are so few (serious) choppers developments in flight sim. Very complex and people are a bit reluctant to spend weeks just to learn how to hover when you can be a maverick in a few days shooting missiles at migs.

Some explanations of Polychop here:

I corrected your post, the link was between the FB marks and no between YT marks.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #222
BaD CrC

Thanks!

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 AM   #223
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
Is it so difficult to make a correct flight model for a helicopter?
Um... look up the term dunning kruger bro...
Old 12-03-2019, 04:37 AM   #224
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Um... look up the term dunning kruger bro...
maybe you're right, in any case i hope the pilots' feedback can help them especially for things like helicopters and ww2 airplanes
The Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #225
Holbeach

Quote:
maybe you're right, in any case i hope the pilots' feedback can help them especially for things like helicopters and ww2 airplanes

French airforce Pilots feedback has been recieved regularly, since the module came out, all stating it's exactly like the real thing.
Commercial pilot feedback has also been recieved, stating the oposite.

Who do you want to believe?

Demonstrating flying the machine inverted, or without a cyclic, had no effect on the argument.

You don't need to be a pilot to understand the physics involved in aircraft flight.

Holbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #226
rrohde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbeach View Post
FYou don't need to be a pilot to understand the physics involved in aircraft flight...
Understanding physics involved is not the same as being able to develop an verifiable, accurate, professional flight model and then evaluate it.

@Harlekwin - I never knew about this Dunning Kruger principle; how enlightening this is.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter /w SCG-R Premium (side mount)
rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #227
CHPL

One thing is for sure.

The real Gazelle has a unique flight model that can't be compared with the Huey.

I also asked a french army pilot about the collective behavior in forwarding flight which is very unusual and get the same answer. It is as correct as a simulator can be.

So I am a commercial pilot, but never flown a Gazell in real life, and even if I find the flight module unusual and in some cases extreme, I have no reason to doubt it in his core.

The only thing I can't believe in DCS is, the Gazell seems to overcome the inertness of his mass. This leads to unbelievable und impossible maneuvers by very aggressive control inputs and to very abrupt reactions during hover to even the smallest inputs.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #228
Sephyrius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbeach View Post

Demonstrating flying the machine inverted, or without a cyclic, had no effect on the argument.
Funny thing is, with the current "if you're not a military pilot of that exact model your argument is moot" going on we'd might as well argue that if you're not that AND have flown inverted you have no reason to doubt it.

My viggen flew just fine after losing a wing the other day, but hey, what do I know.

Edit: Nothing personal, I just meant in general.

Last edited by Sephyrius; 12-04-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #229
Oldahpilot

Default Flight model

I have to say that in my opinion the flight model is pretty good, the in game controls axis settings benefit from some serious tweaking thought to tame the beast. I'd advise getting the joystick between the knees if at all possible, that's where it is in the real aircraft after all. I've set my axis fine tune to 50% in the Y axis for roll and 80% for pitch., that seems to be more of a representation of the real control reactions when using a short throw joystick rather than a real floor mounted cyclic.

My experience in the real gazelle is limited to less than a thousand hours so I'm no expert and that was a lot of years ago! I moved on to Lynx which was child's play to handle compared to the gazelle. The gazelle was a real feel aircraft, ie......you think about changing direction and it's done, real on the edge handling, often described as balancing a bowling ball on a golf ball.....always trying to fall off in one direction or another.

For those new to rotary aircraft please bear in mind that students in the real aircraft are introduced to the three controls one at a time, then using two at a time, with an instructor ready to catch it when it falls. After a couple of hours your using all three controls trying to maintain a hover in a 'hover square' measuring 30m. First solo would be after 8 hours of take off....hover....fly the circuit. .....approach. ....hover and land. So don't be too hard on yourself or the developers if it takes time to master.

We had a saying in the British Army, .....After 50 hours you think you'll never know it all.....After 500 hours you think you know it all....and after 5000 hours you KNOW you'll never know it all!

Happy flying
Oldahpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #230
Scarecrow84

Quote:
Is it so difficult to make a correct flight model for a helicopter?

Yes, it is.

Helicopter aerodynamics are insanely complicated. For one thing, the machine isn't grounded or "on rails" in any way like you could (sort of, minus wind, etc.) say about a fixed wing craft moving at high speed.

I've even heard that due to some gyroscopic effect I don't understand, the rotor head wants to fly something like 45degrees off heading, so this effect has to be compensated for in the hub design.

It's amazing to me that they can model autorotation...just look up a flight training manual on that subject.

Until we can have flight models based on fluid dynamics (i.e. just model the aircraft body surfaces and mass distribution as in real life, and let it fly based on calculated interactions with modeled air particles, gravity constants, inertia calcs, etc.), the Huey flight model is as good as we can expect in my opinion. I think its fun as hell myself.

Don't forget to look up Dunning Krueger...It explains a great deal of the modern world.
Scarecrow84 is offline   Reply With Quote