RL MiG-17 Pilot Comments

tkairshows

I was fortunate enough to own and fly a MiG-17 (Lim-6R) in airshows for a few years. I also hold an authorization for MiG-15 as well but I only flew the MiG-15UTI twice for my -17 check-out.

In DCS I started with a cold start and let me tell you the sounds for this aircraft are very accurate. I found the engine in all parameters of ground and flight were VERY forgiving. For example in the real aircraft you have to carefully modulate the fuel control during start to not have a hot start, and if you are below 7000 rpm you can forget about having full power quickly without overtemping the engine.

Aircraft handling: I flew a -17 but I WISH I had the roll rate that this model has. During a show I would be 100' off the ground at 450 knots pull about 5.5-6G into the vertical and only get about a roll and a half before pulling inverted and rolling out at 13-14,000 feet. The pitch seems accurate. In the actual aircraft the pitch was very nicely tuned and all without hydraulics! The ailerons were the only powered flight control.

Ground handling, great job modeling the turning braking process!:smilewink:

The two other aspects of flying the MiG that are not modeled is the defrosting system and cockpit size. If you rapidly come out of altitude >30,000 the canopy always fogged up. I can imagine in a dogfight this might be a real problem! When ever I flew the MiG it was a very claustrophobic experience. It is a tight cockpit (I'm 6'2" and 200lbs) and you had to make sure you could reach everything by feel. The fuel control is a good example. Its cramped and the only way to move the fuel control was by feeling (and the stop at the bottom!)

Thanks Belsimtek for a very enjoyable experience! I really enjoy the fuel burn of the sim over paying for 380 gallons of jet per hour (without burner in the -17)!

1767898623_MiGairshow.jpeg.b4e2c870d0c3d1f1a38060f6f39e60ee.jpeg

1249286105_Mig17frontview.thumb.jpg.b00e851dc4a54942c1a4cba0f8593b67.jpg

1890937199_Mig17takeoff2.thumb.jpg.174c8492a432a49e32c857bf8de513fd.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Sir,

It's a real honor for us, I would like to thanks you for these comments it's very cool from your part.

It's not all the days that we can have a feedback because you're a real Mig's pilot.

I've read your comments and it's incredibly enriching, a great thanks for your comments and best regards, Skull.

I noticed the same - no fog in the cabin in high alt. i hope it will be modelled. Thanx!

Good to see Polish Lim-6 in tha air still. :)

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hopefully the engine management gets some more work if it indeed isn't getting the correct overheats and associated problems. This is one of the things with the DCS ME 262 development that I hope get alot of attention because early jet engines had alot of problems especially when handled improperly.

Is roll rate limited by force on the stick or is it that low on full stick? Current roll rate is tuned according to TO book 1.

"Я ошеломлён, но думаю об этом другими словами", - некий гражданин

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

IIRC canopy fogging/icing is simulated but there is no graphical tepresentation yet. Fingers crossed it will be present in DCS 2.0!

As to forgiving engine management I'd like it to be possible to hot start... I've never managed it even when bring rough with the startup.

Roll rate I can't really comment other than there is a very pronounced step in roll rates. It suddenly reaches a speed where roll authority reduces significantly... I'd have thought it would be more gradual.

It suddenly reaches a speed where roll authority reduces significantly...

This is plot from the TO, wxmax - maximum roll rate in radians/sec vs TAS at H = 5000 meters. This is also how it's done in the game.

527786591_MiG-15rollrate.png.6449d487cf39952e89bbad353c08922d.png

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

What does the second plot (tnep) mean, just interested.

Time to roll from left 60 degrees bank to right 60 degrees bank.

Ноет котик, ноет кротик,

Ноет в небе самолетик,

Ноют клумбы и кусты -

Ноют все. Поной и ты.

The -17 had more sweep and and three flow fences (instead of two) and that could account for the difference in rate (or my 50 year old brain/memory! :)). All of my shows were near sea level (more air density) and that could also be a factor. The ailerons were hydraulically boosted and did not have a lot of resistance. Boost off was a different story.

I am really enjoying the module, I never had guns in mine! We used the gun tray, which winches down, to store batteries.

From the picture you can tell it was a tight fit:

194843987_Tomwithhelmetincockpit.jpg.842eac5225271b657e8d5b5f7d247e68.jpg

The -17 had more sweep and and three flow fences (instead of two) and that could account for the difference in rate (or my 50 year old brain/memory! :)). All of my shows were near sea level (more air density) and that could also be a factor. The ailerons were hydraulically boosted and did not have a lot of resistance. Boost off was a different story.

I am really enjoying the module, I never had guns in mine! We used the gun tray, which winches down, to store batteries.

From the picture you can tell it was a tight fit:

Tkairshows,

The Mig-17F is the jet I want most in DCS World. It is so cool that you are a real life Mig-17 Fresco pilot. Thank you for sharing your experience and insights, not to mention all of your neat Mig-17 pictures, too. :notworthy:

:thumbup: MJ