How many of you regularly fly medium/heavy bombers?

Geronimo989

How many of you regularly fly medium/heavy bombers?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you regularly fly medium/heavy bombers?

• Almost all the time
    • Most of the time
    • As often as other types (fighters, fighter/bombers, attack aircraft)
    • Rarely/ when something new comes out
    • Never

I adore the Blenny in cliffs of Dover, I'd love a light or medium bomber in DCS. Bring on the mosquito!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

The results of this poll were not what I was expecting. I don't want to seem scornful of fellow aviation enthusiasts' choices, but I can't for the life of me understand what people see in bombers. Objectively speaking, that role involves a minute fraction of the stick & rudder skill that the fighter role demands. It's like the difference between a truck driver and a racecar driver, but amplified by the extreme (and beautiful) complexity of the art of dogfighting (which neither bombing nor automobile racing can approach). I simply can't imagine why one would choose something so relatively one-dimensional and static, compared to something so very three-dimensional and kinetic. What's the appeal that I can't see?

Edited by Echo38

I don't want to seem scornful of fellow aviation enthusiasts' choices, but I can't for the life of me understand what people see in bombers. Objectively speaking, that role involves a minute fraction of the stick & rudder skill that the fighter role demands. It's like the difference between a truck driver and a racecar driver, except amplified by the extreme complexity of the art of dogfighting (which neither bombing nor racing can approach). I simply can't imagine why one would choose something so relatively one-dimensional compared to something so very three-dimensional. What's the appeal?

I've seen many a would be virtual fighter pilot that can regularly make aerial kills without ever having a clue about the technical aspects of flying. You know, the basic things like being able to fly at a constant speed, altitude and bearing. Delivering ordnance on time and on target is an art in itself and gives a tremendous sense of accomplishment when executed to perfection. As for complexity, have you tried hitting targets by bombing from high altitude? It's damn hard. Also, it's very satisfying getting in to the target and back out again despite the best efforts of the yankers and bankers.

Besides, fighter pilots make movies (cheap B rate homo-erotic movies), and bomber pilots make history. :smilewink:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

The results of this poll were not what I was expecting. I don't want to seem scornful of fellow aviation enthusiasts' choices, but I can't for the life of me understand what people see in bombers. Objectively speaking, that role involves a minute fraction of the stick & rudder skill that the fighter role demands. It's like the difference between a truck driver and a racecar driver, but amplified by the extreme (and beautiful) complexity of the art of dogfighting (which neither bombing nor automobile racing can approach). I simply can't imagine why one would choose something so relatively one-dimensional and static, compared to something so very three-dimensional and kinetic. What's the appeal that I can't see?

you clearly lack imagination, that's all; why you cant imagine it..

I like fighters for being fighters and I like bombers for being bombers.

and above all else I like helicopters.

we have a whole forest of aircraft types to fly, why only focus on a tree known as fighters? and miss the forest?

all the intricacy you find in fighters can be found in other aircraft types.

a truck driver is racing to unload his load just as much as a race car driver is racing to win a race for instance. why I have asseto corsa and European truck simulator..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Hmm. Still not seeing it. I guess it's similar to why some people prefer bread to pizza, except for a more complicated part of the brain than the part that deals with taste buds. No point getting angry 'coz one guy likes mushrooms on his pizza and the next guy likes anchovies on his, I always say, but I sure think a lot of people have baffling tastes!

Hmm. Still not seeing it.

like I said, without sounding scornful. lack of imagination :)

it has nothing to do with preference.

we don't want bread OR pizza, we want bread AND pizza. when we choose.

its you being one dimensional and only wanting fighters. and cant even imagine wanting anything else.

and I don't hate you for it...

bomber pilots need fighter jocks to keep them safe...

and fighter jocks need bomber pilots to make the game more than airquake..

helicopter pilots just need all other pilots to stay out of their way :)

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

like I said, without sounding scornful. lack of imagination :)

it has nothing to do with preference.

we don't want bread OR pizza, we want bread AND pizza. when we choose.

its you being one dimensional and only wanting fighters. and cant even imagine wanting anything else.

and I don't hate you for it...

bomber pilots need fighter jocks to keep them safe...

and fighter jocks need bomber pilots to make the game more than airquake..

helicopter pilots just need all other pilots to stay out of their way :)

:thumbup: I almost never fly bombers. But I realy love when others do and I can be on comms with them protecting them from other human oponents. One moment you are flying casually talking on the way to the target, when suddenly a gunner calls "FW190 1 o'clock high, he's comming for us!", and you suddenly break to engage and they see how you blow him to bits and say "Thanks, that was a close one, only a minor fuel leak, already self-sealed".

These are the best :D

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I like fighters for being fighters and I like bombers for being bombers.

and above all else I like helicopters.

we have a whole forest of aircraft types to fly, why only focus on a tree known as fighters? and miss the forest?

I enjoy helicopters, but to a much lesser extent than fighters. Helicopters are more complex than fixed-wings, for the most part, and require greater stick-and-pedal skill in many areas outside of combat (e.g. entering & maintaining a hover), but I eventually determined that it takes less overall stick-and-pedal skill to fly a helicopter to its maximum potential than it takes to do that with a fighter during a dogfight.

Thus, I prefer dogfighting in a fighter (maximum possible stick-and-rudder skill ceiling of all) to even the most demanding types of helicopter flight (e.g. flying NOE). The latter is still fun and challenging, but not so much as the former. I might want to take a helicopter for a spin every now and then for some variety, but I could never fool myself into thinking that flying a helicopter (even with all of the difficulty & complexity of hovering, flying NOE, avoiding VRS and G-load problems, etc.) matches the sheer intimacy with the air that is required for dogfighting.

Simply put, it takes more stick-and-rudder skill to dogfight in a prop fighter, than any other type of flight takes in any type of aircraft. And stick-and-rudder skill is what it's all about, right? It's that intimacy with the airflow, that tactile connection from air to control surface to cable to hand to mind, which only dogfighting can exercise to the fullest possible extent.

Not to say that it's easy to perform manual bombing, but it takes a small fraction of the stick-and-rudder skill to do that as it does to dogfight. A relatively simple machine can be (and was) devised to automatically calculate the comparatively simple mathematics of gravity, velocity, and altitude involved in bombing; I don't think anyone can objectively claim that the amount of total skill (much less stick-and-rudder skill) involved in high-altitude bombing / impact prediction approaches that required to grok the immeasurably complex art of dogfighting.

One can truly devote a lifetime—tens of thousands of hours—to studying & practicing dogfighting, and still have much to learn about it. But one can effectively master level-bomber piloting with only a few hundred hours, no? This is why I can't understand how people would be so enamored of it, compared to dogfighting. I don't think it has anything to do with my imagination (indeed, I'd expect that it's the train-operator types who tend to be unimaginative, not the fighter-pilot types). I'm just puzzled that someone would ... value a chip of granite as highly as a sapphire, I guess. Or maybe "a grouse as highly as a parrot" is a better metaphor. I suppose it doesn't matter.

As for your question about focus: you are familiar with the phrase, "jack of all trades, master of none"?

Edited by Echo38

I enjoy helicopters, but to a much lesser extent than fighters. Helicopters are more complex than fixed-wings, for the most part, and require greater stick-and-pedal skill in many areas outside of combat (e.g. entering & maintaining a hover), but I eventually determined that it takes less overall stick-and-pedal skill to fly a helicopter to its maximum potential than it takes to do that with a fighter during a dogfight.

Thus, I prefer dogfighting in a fighter (maximum possible stick-and-rudder skill ceiling of all) to even the most demanding types of helicopter flight (e.g. flying NOE). The latter is still fun and challenging, but not so much as the former. I might want to take a helicopter for a spin every now and then for some variety, but I could never fool myself into thinking that flying a helicopter (even with all of the difficulty & complexity of hovering, flying NOE, avoiding VRS and G-load problems, etc.) matches the sheer intimacy with the air that is required for dogfighting.

Simply put, it takes more stick-and-rudder skill to dogfight in a prop fighter, than any other type of flight takes in any type of aircraft. And stick-and-rudder skill is what it's all about, right? It's that intimacy with the airflow, that tactile connection from air to control surface to cable to hand to mind, which only dogfighting can exercise to the fullest possible extent.

Not to say that it's easy to perform manual bombing, but it takes a small fraction of the stick-and-rudder skill to do that as it does to dogfight. A relatively simple machine can be (and was) devised to automatically calculate the comparatively simple mathematics of gravity, velocity, and altitude involved in bombing; I don't think anyone can objectively claim that the amount of total skill (much less stick-and-rudder skill) involved in high-altitude bombing / impact prediction approaches that required to grok the immeasurably complex art of dogfighting.

One can truly devote a lifetime—tens of thousands of hours—to studying & practicing dogfighting, and still have much to learn about it. But one can effectively master level-bomber piloting with only a few hundred hours, no? This is why I can't understand how people would be so enamored of it, compared to dogfighting. I don't think it has anything to do with my imagination (indeed, I'd expect that it's the train-operator types who tend to be unimaginative, not the fighter-pilot types). I'm just puzzled that someone would ... value a chip of granite as highly as a sapphire, I guess. Or maybe "a grouse as highly as a parrot" is a better metaphor. I suppose it doesn't matter.

As for your question about focus: you are familiar with the phrase, "jack of all trades, master of none"?

There are different challenges. I tried He111 lately and I couldn't make it fly fast enough, it was very heavy, impossible to gain altitude and overstressed my engine and crashed into the woods.

Indeed it is like driving a truck but you have to admire people who get to their target and drop bombs and get back. It is a different kind of challenge. Especially going back with damage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I remember doing the odd "Deathstar" run as a gunner in Air Warrior and it usually only took about 10 minutes to remind me why I rarely did them. Nothing to do while grinding up to 25K and then waiting to see if anything could come into range without spinning away below us...

Nope, not entertaining IMO.

YMMV... To each their own.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com