A few purchasing questions

Seaside

Hey Guys: I'm fairly new around here and have a few questions.

Right now I only have the F-15c.

I'm getting the F-18 when it comes available and have been thinking about the

Spitfire w maps & assets and maybe even the F-86 at some point.

Leaving the F-18 out of the picture as it sounds like it sounds like it won't be til next year.

I see the Normandy bundle on now however it's my understanding that I would lose Caucasus

map til 2.5 comes out next year as well ? Plus I still don't have the spitfire so no plane to fly on it :)

I believe there is normally an Xmas sale ?

Would it be cheaper/as cheap to wait for the sale if there is one to get the Spit/Assets and Normandy all at one time ?

Thanks

PS : Sorry if this is the wrong forum

There are three publicly-available branches of the codebase right now. You won't lose anything, per say, but if you're limited on disk space you may only be able to install one at a time. Modules (and asset packs) you buy work on all branches.

The "stable" and "beta" branches only includes the Caucasus terrain for now.

The "alpha" branch includes NTTR and Normandy.

Once the updated Caucasus map is ready, it would likely be available first in the alpha branch alongside NTTR and Normandy.

Alpha does not "include" any maps. You have to buy Normandy and/or NTTR if you want to run the open alpha version. There is no Caucasus map for alpha, but it has been promised for 2.5 and I don't remember whether it has been announced whether you will need to buy it separately.

But you can install all three of the current versions for free. They each include some free planes, and any flight modules you have or buy will work on all three and any map. (The only exception I've heard about is the Harrier, which just came out, but that should be available on all three platforms soon.)

There are three publicly-available branches of the codebase right now. You won't lose anything, per say, but if you're limited on disk space you may only be able to install one at a time. Modules (and asset packs) you buy work on all branches.

The "stable" and "beta" branches only includes the Caucasus terrain for now.

The "alpha" branch includes NTTR and Normandy.

Once the updated Caucasus map is ready, it would likely be available first in the alpha branch alongside NTTR and Normandy.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

The new Caucasus terrain is going to be free, sthompson. Also, the Harrier is available on all branches, and has been for several days. There is typically only a delay of a week or two between versions.

@OP

For right now, you should stick with the stable branch, unless you want to buy Nevada and/or Normandy. The alpha does not have a "free map" yet. The new Caucasus terrain will be available within the next few weeks, it's nearly finished.

As one of the above posters mentioned, you won't "lose" anything, but you currently have to have multiple installs. You can buy Normandy, and install the 2.0 alpha alongside the primary branch with the Caucasus. Then you can just switch between them depending on which one you want to use. As mentioned, this obviously takes more harddrive space, but also as mentioned, this situation will not persist very much longer. THE GREAT MERGE IS AT HAND! THE END IS NIGH! And so forth.

So really, the only question is "do you have enough harddrive space to install DCS twice?" and "What plane do I really want?"

Both are easily answered ;)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Even though Normandy has WW2-era scenery, you can use any plane in any map, so you are not limited to flying your Spit in Normandy. You can fly the Spit in the Caucasus and the F15 in Normandy without problems.

Even though it maybe kills some of the immersion there are no limits.

Actually I like what-if scenario's, such as B-17 hunting in a MiG-15. :pilotfly:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Thanks for the info. Will wait to see about Xmas sale and get at least the F-86 &

might get the Spit/assets & Normandy then as well.

Not much point in doing more with 2.5 almost here :)

Will get the F-18 later when pre-order is up next year.