Can anyone explain why load times are so long after a reboot of windows?

imacken

Always noticed that DCS load times are horrendous after a reboot of Windows, yet fine when doing a DCS restart (or load after sleep) without a reboot.

To get to main screen:

v2.1 - After reboot: 2'35", After DCS restart or from sleep: 0'23"

v1.5.7 - After reboot 2'05", after DCS restart/sleep: 0'11".

To get to mission from main screem:

v2.1 After reboot: 3'15", After DCS restart or from sleep: 0'42"

v1.5.7 - After reboot 2'15", after DCS restart/sleep: 0'17".

So, it takes 4 or 5 times longer after a reboot. Why is this? Is there some sort of caching going on? If so, why would the cache disappear on reboot?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Also when you start dcs for the first time, it will load longer then when your start it for the second time. Also Windows keeps a cache, on disk level, in memory etc.

So when you reboot, it takes longer...

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Also when you start dcs for the first time, it will load longer then when your start it for the second time.

That was my point!

Also Windows keeps a cache, on disk level, in memory etc.

So when you reboot, it takes longer...

OK, so it's a Windows cache thing not a DCS one. That makes sense then in terms of the rebooting of Windows.

Thanks.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

As a modder I have found sometimes changing textures of models in 3Ds Max would prevent DCS from starting.

I just log off then on again and this clears the memory cash.

DCS starts fine afterwards.

Easier than rebooting and a quick way to clean up the memory.

DCS then takes longer to load the first time.

Each DCS restart will boot faster from then on till logging off or rebooting the pc.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

When you launch DCS, it loads a lot of things in RAM from you disk.

When you leave DCS, these things are not unloaded, but tagged as removable so if windows need this RAM space for something else, it will overwrite what was used by DCS.

So if you close DCS and relaunch it, all these things still in RAM won't have to be loaded from disk again, reducing loading time.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

Thanks for all your replies, guys. At least I know it's a Windows thing and not something ED could fix.

Well ED has the hand on the first loading time, which they could maybe optimize a bit, I remember it was much faster few patches ago (till the loading bar got removed).

Anyway, if you have a SSD, it really helps.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."