Getting real tired of extreme FOVs in different modules

AbortedMan

Who plays this game at 150 degrees of FOV? Seriously.

I'm getting frustrated with having to go through various different .lua files to find which setting limits FOV so I can play modules without having to worry about turning my cockpit into a fishbowl.

I just bought the Gazelle and found the view.lua that edits the FOV limiter to a suitable 110 degrees, but that change does not pass integrity check. Wtf?

All other modules seem to use one localized file, but there are a few out there that do not (apparently?). Why is this not a uniform standard across the entire game?

How about not zooming out that much?

I usually have the Warthog Slider mapped to the zoom and use the custom axis settings to limit the FOV so center gives me an 85-90° FOV and maximum out 110°...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I zoom in and out dynamically depending on the situation and purpose to simulate actual function of the human eyeball, so having it on my joystick is paramount for easy access. When returning the FOV from zooming in after looking at a panel or long-distance target it's extremely annoying to have to find that sweet spot of normal gaming FOV.

Doesn't it seem a little strange that such extremely wide FOV limits are the default in all of DCS?

How about not zooming out that much?

I usually have the Warthog Slider mapped to the zoom and use the custom axis settings to limit the FOV so center gives me an 85-90° FOV and maximum out 110°...

I may have to resort to this, which is a bummer.

This is a very long standing issue for a lot of people. Generally, it seems to work well if you have a standard single monitor setup, but can be a bit tricky to get right if you are using very wide screen, or multiple monitors.

You can use the curves on your control as mentioned above, but they cannot alter the minimum or maximum FOV settings, just where the centre is.

Unfortunately, on a wide screen, the FOV is usually wrong, so there is not much you can do about it imo, except edit multiple lua files and use Generic Mod Enabler to load them in after each update.

Ideally, each module would have a min/max fov slider in its settings page.

Just use 'zoom in slow' 'zoom out slow' on a hat switch, so you can adjust it on the fly. It's annoying but not too serious. Add the move back and forward command for extra 'comfy spot' finding :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Who plays this game at 150 degrees of FOV? Seriously.

People with three monitors.

Do this, adjust it so the default position is where you like it. No lua editing required.

mQZnAxD.png

• Like 1

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Just use 'zoom in slow' 'zoom out slow' on a hat switch, so you can adjust it on the fly. It's annoying but not too serious. Add the move back and forward command for extra 'comfy spot' finding :p

I'm using exactly this already. After zooming in it surprisingly takes a lot of cycles to get back to the normal FOV in the heat of flying.

In any case, there should be a FOV option slider for DCS as a whole or at least for each module.

I have three monitors and still don't use the default extremely wide FOV. It's like novelty joke wide!

Thanks for the axis tip.

Perhaps because you use the triple viewport instead of a single viewport. Except for the Mi8 with it's FOV slider option, I had to take the FOV to 160 for all the other modules, default is 140 IIRC, and was certainly not wide enough. I do agree with you though, all modules should have an FOV slider like the Mi8. You can get around the integrity check by adding the view info for each aircraft to the server.lua file, but often servers are running missions that force you to use the server side server.lua (and often the host has no idea they're doing it) and it disables your mod. It's one of the reasons I went to a single ultrawide, triple monitors sucks online since the integrity check.

A proper view like this was not possible with the default FOV all the way zoomed out.

hPF1neS.jpg

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.... Setting the curve in your profile does NOT alter your min and max FOV.. it can only move the centre point nearer to one end or the other.

If the default is FOV as set by default in the lua files is not within the range you need to cater for your monitor setup, then you will not be able to get a good range without editing it.

If you use a slider, you ideally want the min to equal the min fov, the middle to equal the ideal fov, and the other end to equal the maximum fov.

In my case, the min is about 110 degrees, the mid is about 140 degrees, and the max is around 170 degrees. With a bit of leeway on all 3, but 140 is about right on my setup.

The default min/max in the luas is usually 20 to 140 degrees, with a default fov around 80 to 90 degrees, which means that you have to fly zoomed right out the whole time if you have a wide triple screen, and all you have is a really big zoom IN on your slider, so not much point to it.

I just wish those people who claim that you dont have to adjust your lua files would just do the math.

I set my desired FOV in-pit by simply doing the following:

Press RCtrl + Pause x 2 so i can see the FOV in the top left corner of the screen, i gently tap the cockpit zoom in/out so i get the FOV i want (i like 95 degrees for my setup)

I then centre the view and press RAlt + Numpad 0 and it stores it for good.

I just wish those people who claim that you dont have to adjust your lua files would just do the math.

I don't care what the math says, it works, and it works fine. If you want to reduce your ability to see enemies by reducing your min FOV to 110º, that's your boggle, everyone else wants that zoom.

The curve? No, but if you adjust the saturation points you can set hard stops.

And this.

I set my desired FOV in-pit by simply doing the following:

Press RCtrl + Pause x 2 so i can see the FOV in the top left corner of the screen, i gently tap the cockpit zoom in/out so i get the FOV i want (i like 95 degrees for my setup)

I then centre the view and press RAlt + Numpad 0 and it stores it for good.

I'm with you mustang, I use the save snapview controls to set the default FOV / zoom level for all my aircraft.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

We are indeed in a post factual society. :/

You can save the sanctimonious attitude for another time and place.

The *only* time you *need* to modify the luas is for single viewport triple monitor setups to increase the max FOV beyond what they allow, as 140º is not enough.

If all you want to do is change the default FOV to a value that's available from the stock luas, the slider tune method is a completely valid way to do that and many people are happy with it.

If you *prefer* to do it another way, good for you, but it doesn't make you better than me.

No, not sanctimonious, I'll leave that to the preachers and the converted. I'm just frustrated that I can't get across the simple facts of my particular problem: I don't know where you think I was saying that I was better than ANYONE, and apologise if thats what you took it to mean. This is a forum where discussion takes place, and I'm too old to care if people get upset when I disagree.

A: If I need a 140 degree FOV, (not to zoom, not for any advantage, since I'm not using it online anyway), but to just get the widescreen forward view looking close to how it does on a single screen.

B: Using a slider on the throttle as zoom lever, I wand fwd to be Min FOV, Middle around 140 degrees, and back to whatever the Max FOV is set to. Currently, as I explained, to get 140 somewhere near the middle, and not have silly wide angles like 170+ at the Max end, then the Min end has to be at some not ideal fov, giving less "zoom", to keep 140 near the middle.

C: The reason for keeping normal FOF near the middle of the range? The slider is more stable in the middle and at eaither end, anywhere else, and wobbles creep in.

Your *only* & *need* points are exactly what I am having to do, so I can't see why you are arguing against it. I clearly don't think everyone has the same setup as myself, and If I use the defaults on ly single screen laptop then they are perfectly fine as you describe out of the box.

As long as people say they are happy with the current setup here, then it seems to me to be less likely that any adjustments will make it into the GUI. Why bother adding features that no one wants after all?

PS. Looking at your rig, which seem to be pretty nice, I notice that your main screen aspect ratio looks like the key to why you are more satisfied. I'm using 5760x1080 on the main screen, and I think that is where the problem arises. The sim just doesn't liike things too wide and shallow. If I could justify the expense, then clearly 5760x1280 would make life easier.

Edited by mkiii

This is exactly the issue I have problems with. 3x 27inch monitors 5760x1280 and Nvidia surround. modules the FOV is just right for me: eg. the F5E others I have edited lua files in the past eg: Mig 21

However, online server integrity checks, get me kicked from joining. So I have set up a 'vanilla' install to fly online.

The Mil 8's slider is the way forward. All modules should have one. Especially now with so many different types on monitors.

Cheers for the suggestions I will try a curve. BTW the are many times I cannot see targets while in the cockpit view but F2 to just behind your plane and you find them easily. Deezle do you find this?

The two screen shots below clearly show the problem. Inside the incoming plane is almost invisible. From the outside it is a formed graphic.

2075921824_insidecockpit.thumb.jpg.2e6e9f4e66a15bd68dfb9ee4f00567f4.jpg

outside.thumb.jpg.a861a53d4a0b32c4042d0cfda9a97315.jpg

Edited by Trubshaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

The Magnification system seems to be a bit of a bone of contention atm for online players especially, considering the differences it shows between different screen resolutions, and other threads have argued the toss over this at great length. ATM I can't see anything much beyond half a mile, in the air or on the ground, even with enlargement set to max, so there is obviously still something wrong with either my setup or the enlargement system in general. Just tried the SU25T Target practice Quickstart mission and was unable to see the massed targets on the ground until I was well into launch range for a/g weapons.

Edited by mkiii

No, not sanctimonious, I'll leave that to the preachers and the converted. I'm just frustrated that I can't get across the simple facts of my particular problem: I don't know where you think I was saying that I was better than ANYONE, and apologise if thats what you took it to mean. This is a forum where discussion takes place, and I'm too old to care if people get upset when I disagree.

A: If I need a 140 degree FOV, (not to zoom, not for any advantage, since I'm not using it online anyway), but to just get the widescreen forward view looking close to how it does on a single screen.

B: Using a slider on the throttle as zoom lever, I wand fwd to be Min FOV, Middle around 140 degrees, and back to whatever the Max FOV is set to. Currently, as I explained, to get 140 somewhere near the middle, and not have silly wide angles like 170+ at the Max end, then the Min end has to be at some not ideal fov, giving less "zoom", to keep 140 near the middle.

C: The reason for keeping normal FOF near the middle of the range? The slider is more stable in the middle and at eaither end, anywhere else, and wobbles creep in.

Your *only* & *need* points are exactly what I am having to do, so I can't see why you are arguing against it. I clearly don't think everyone has the same setup as myself, and If I use the defaults on ly single screen laptop then they are perfectly fine as you describe out of the box.

As long as people say they are happy with the current setup here, then it seems to me to be less likely that any adjustments will make it into the GUI. Why bother adding features that no one wants after all?

PS. Looking at your rig, which seem to be pretty nice, I notice that your main screen aspect ratio looks like the key to why you are more satisfied. I'm using 5760x1080 on the main screen, and I think that is where the problem arises. The sim just doesn't liike things too wide and shallow. If I could justify the expense, then clearly 5760x1280 would make life easier.

My previous setup was indeed 5760x1080, I know all about editing the view LUAs to get 160 degree max FOV.

I think you've completely misunderstood what the slider tuning does. It's adjusting your "default" FOV to where you want it in the middle of your axis's range, so you can quickly move your zoom lever back to it's center position and get it back to where you like it, so you don't get any jitter from the pot by not being in the center. Near as I can tell, that's exactly what you want, however you keep dismissing it.

The above picture of my rig is with 20min/160max FOV and my zoom slider in the middle detent, you can clearly see it's not zoomed in to 70 degree FOV. You don't *have* to limit your min FOV to get the middle of your zoom axis to an ideal FOV.

Edited by Deezle