Flak in Caucasus

hey there, just a quick question. i'm playing around with the WW2 assets in the causasus map. i've thrown down some new german Flak guns and are running around trying to dodge them in my shiny mustang. when i zoom in on the flak they sure are firing away at me, however i don't see any trademarked puffs of smoke all over the air like in the movies.

but they are working as if i fly too straight i'll get messed up quickly. is this not implemented yet or is there something wrong with my install?

thanks!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

You mean the funny looking explosions scripted to occur randomly in the air?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

You mean the funny looking explosions scripted to occur randomly in the air?

No, not scripted. The time of flak scripts should be over now that we have real flak. Seems like we still have to wait a little for them to actually work as they should though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

No, not scripted. The time of flak scripts should be over now that we have real flak. Seems like we still have to wait a little for them to actually work as they should though.

I got nothing better to do than wait :megalol:

New explosion effects are still WIP.

Hope we could see them demo'd.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Flak explosions are in dire need. The Flak scripts are awesome but they have unavoidable consequences of low FPS associated. What would be a better design from ED would be to not use explosions, but to generate a visual-only flak so we can abstract their 'effect on hit' more cheaply and thus have Flak that was not shared in multiplayer with resulting network and CPU load. A bit like random clouds and civ traffic are now in live.

Unfortunately, using explosions is a server sided affair. The xyz of the explosion is transmitted to all clients and its possible effect calculated, which is costly if there are many at once, of which flak is definitely "many at once".

In testing, on a server side script with 6 bursts a second, I massacred client FPS in half. That resulted in an unpopular outcry from my friends and Flak is no more. And it is one hell of an immersion to be missed.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Flak explosions are in dire need. The Flak scripts are awesome but they have unavoidable consequences of low FPS associated. What would be a better design from ED would be to not use explosions, but to generate a visual-only flak so we can abstract their 'effect on hit' more cheaply and thus have Flak that was not shared in multiplayer with resulting network and CPU load. A bit like random clouds and civ traffic are now in live.

Unfortunately, using explosions is a server sided affair. The xyz of the explosion is transmitted to all clients and its possible effect calculated, which is costly if there are many at once, of which flak is definitely "many at once".

In testing, on a server side script with 6 bursts a second, I massacred client FPS in half. That resulted in an unpopular outcry from my friends and Flak is no more. And it is one hell of an immersion to be missed.

That is indeed an important aspect you mentioned there. I hope they find a way to make synced flak explosions work in MP without too much impact on cpu and especially network performance, because unsynced flak explosions would really suck :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You could try the vecflak form Pikey. It's a bit less expensive for frames than the burst of 4 times however many gun batteries you get for the addtgt variety.

Also tends to be more survivable when the first lot arrive, I've often seen the first shots of the addtgt (which is in groups of 4 explosions) take out half the aircraft. Which is kind of realistic as you don't know the first shots are coming until they arrive so if they are accurate they are deadly. After that you can take avoidance action. Anyway I guess what I was trying to say is the vecflak is somewhat kinder for those first shots. Particularly if instead of setting up vecflak with large numbers of guns you set up multiple vecflak calls with small numbers of guns on the same trigger. So instead of

Do

vecflak('blue' 'redflak1' 'low', 6)

End

You might do say 3 vecflak calls for 2 guns all on the same zone's trigger action or some combination that suits rather than a single call. If you do it all on the one call then that is the number of explosions you get chasing 1 target. Doing a lower number will more likely get a few explosions and spread across multiple targets. Same idea also does hold true for addtgt but I tend to end up using vecflak in preference for the very reasons you state.

I've been a long time user, I'm sure the network impact can be lessened, but this wasn't a problem in live builds at least a while back and suddenly FPS became a massive issue in Normandy for which every single impact people have tried to optimise. Especially those playing, or attempting to play in VR (I've since given up on that for now).

It's not the scripts themselves that cause issues in Normandy, they are run server side and the client never sees the script, it's the resulting effect on a client when he syncs via network. You don't need more than a few bursts to kill frames. I'm not sure if that is because they are close together in time or not, we've become more FPS sensitive in Normandy, for live I imagine it's still the same, but haven't flown the last two patches, i'm pretty much hibernating until things get more stable and optimised.

You could try the vecflak form Pikey. It's a bit less expensive for frames than the burst of 4 times however many gun batteries you get for the addtgt variety.

Also tends to be more survivable when the first lot arrive, I've often seen the first shots of the addtgt (which is in groups of 4 explosions) take out half the aircraft. Which is kind of realistic as you don't know the first shots are coming until they arrive so if they are accurate they are deadly. After that you can take avoidance action. Anyway I guess what I was trying to say is the vecflak is somewhat kinder for those first shots. Particularly if instead of setting up vecflak with large numbers of guns you set up multiple vecflak calls with small numbers of guns on the same trigger. So instead of

Do

vecflak('blue' 'redflak1' 'low', 6)

End

You might do say 3 vecflak calls for 2 guns all on the same zone's trigger action or some combination that suits rather than a single call. If you do it all on the one call then that is the number of explosions you get chasing 1 target. Doing a lower number will more likely get a few explosions and spread across multiple targets. Same idea also does hold true for addtgt but I tend to end up using vecflak in preference for the very reasons you state.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *