Taking VR to the Next Level!

Ive been flying DCS in VR for the past year. At first I got 4 weeks of flight training (based on FAA Manual) in the L-39 by a fine teacher. Then I flew the F-5 Tiger for a while to get a feel for really flying (no fly by wire). After a while I craved working with more advanced avionic and computer systems so recently I started training in the A10C. Flying in VR is still a "HOLY S***" experience, But I was ready for more. So I added the Jetseat which added a lot.

THEN...

After extensive research Ive decided to really up the realism by getting a Motion System from Next Level Racing. It will consist of ...NEXT LEVEL RACING MOTION PLATFORM V3 which responds to DCS telemetry.

http://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-motion-platform-v3/

The NEXT LEVEL RACING SEAT which is light and easily installed.

http://www.nextlevelracing.com/next-level-racing-seat-add-on/

And the NEXT LEVEL RACING FLIGHT PACK which will allow me to mount my CH HOTAS on the seat. So they will move along with me.

http://www.nextlevelracing.com/next-level-racing-flight-pack/

The system supports DCS and tons of other flight and racing sims. Its based around the Motion Platform which is made for Next Level Racing by a Polish company that makes motion systems for business and industry. So far Ive read nothing but rave reviews of the V3 model by sim pilots and sim race car drivers. It is just a seat mover, but when I tried it out with the Rift and the DCS A10C, my brain was convinced I was flying in the real thing. Just waiting on the next shipmet tbefore the fun can start. SWEET! :pilotfly:

Edited by lasvideo

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

It goes from Poland to Australia to the US or back to the EU again. No wonder it‘s kinda pricey ;)

Actually it most likely goes from China to US, like everything else these days. Just designed in Poland and promoted by Australian company. ;)

Edited by lasvideo

I purchased a 2dof chair from dofreality.

Great bit of kit and cheap

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192995

I did look into Igors product but...

1. It was to big for my space.

2. To many reports of folks getting damage goods incurred by worldwide shipping.

3. Software requires to much tuning for my taste.

4. I can buy this on Amazon and very easily exchange it or get a refund if there are any issues.

So its worth it to me to pay more for the NLR Motion System . YMMV ;)

Edited by lasvideo

• 3 weeks later...

I’m using the V3 in VR and it’s actually surprisingly good. Far better than l thought it would be.

I thought it would not really do that much. Have done time in real helicopters including the Heuy and it actually brought back lots of memories once l started using it compared to stationary VR, and was so much better than without. You know when your doing takeoffs esp step takeoffs, you feel it when your not hovering properly, and when your doing turns (esp high angle turns), and you even get those little bumps like you hit an air pocket every so often. And landing can be so much more fun and you feel it, sometimes with a good thud if too hard a landing. Crashes are awesome and when going in nose down, actually a little scary as it feels like your falling forward. When out of control, you are literally tossed around by the device. And all on a 2DOF motion platform that only moves a little.

But best of all, no more motion sickness. Truely, its resolved it. The motion of the V3 in VR really seems to help so l’m getting more flight time and doing more hair raising flying and the nausea is no more.

It might only be 2DOF, it might only be minor pitch and roll (and heave - the bounce), but if your not used to anything better, then its a great low cost start.

My set-up actually has all controls on the V3 including the pedals that are attached by a base board so its full body movement (even if only minor). And that l think makes the difference as the whole body moves with the V3, not just the torso, so movement sensation is further enhanced under VR. Forget about just the chair moving, build a lightweight base with the chair, controls and pedals all attached onto it and its far better (l’ll post a picture tomorrow). But weight has to be centred directly under you so you dont break the V3 it as its not actually advertised for how l have done it, but weight it properly, balanced correctly, and it works safely and within the limits of the V3’s parameters.

So its expensive for what you get, its cheap as a motion platform, but no way will l fly without it anymore. And no more recovering from wanting to vomit post flying.

So lasvideo, if your not used to motion platforms, and not spoilt by a full 6DOF, you will enjoy it and it will definitely change your flying enjoyment in VR. Although without VR, maybe not so much as the large movement perceptions will be gone.

Have fun.