New computer set up

I was hoping someone might tell me best way to configure new computer to best run DCS I have a new Aurora 7R with 256 GB boot and a 2 TB storage 32GB memory 1070 dual cards i7 8700 processor. What i need to know is with limited space on boot drive were should were do I put DCS.

Thanks for any and all help

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

It runs fine on D drive. Just remember to make/name a folder DCSWorld so it doesnt install all over the drive.

what is installing allover the drive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Your load times for DCS will be affected (a fair bit slower) if you use the HDD. I'd check to see how much room you have on the SSD and try my best to get DCS on the SSD. I however doubt you'd get 1.5 and 2.1 on the SSD so you might need to decide on priority.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Your load times for DCS will be affected (a fair bit slower) if you use the HDD. I'd check to see how much room you have on the SSD and try my best to get DCS on the SSD. I however doubt you'd get 1.5 and 2.1 on the SSD so you might need to decide on priority.

Yes, definitely, especially the loading time of textures with more demanding maps in 2.1 and later 2.5. With an HD you will most probably endure severe stuttering during missions.

I don't think an extra SSD should impact the price of this system very much ;) It's best to have a fast SSD, but it doesn't need to be a PCIe SSD. Typical transfer rate are 530 MByte/s for read operations.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

By all over the drive I mean that if you access 'D' you will find all the files and folders right there in front of you. I guess that's fine if you don't mind mixing them up with whatever else you might have loose on that drive. Ie; photos, docs, folders, etc.

Both my drives are SSDs and I find no difference in gameplay. Yes, old style HDs are slower.

Edited by MoToad

By all over the drive I mean that if you access 'D' you will find all the files and folders right there in front of you. I guess that's fine if you don't mind mixing them up with whatever else you might have loose on that drive. Ie; photos, docs, folders, etc.

Both my drives are SSDs and I find no difference in gameplay. Yes, old style HDs are slower.

I see. So if I get a SSD should I set it as DCS exclusive drive? OP, sorry not hijacking your thread.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I see. So if I get a SSD should I set it as DCS exclusive drive? OP, sorry not hijacking your thread.

No, it's not necessary, just create a D:\DCS folder in which you install DCS. Or even better, a D:\sim\DCS1 for version 1.x and D:\sim\DCS2 for version 2.x, for example.

And if you want to store something else, use other folders at the root like D:\documents and so on.

Don't forget that DCS also stores some files in the %PROFILE% directory, most usually in C:\Users\<name>\... so this will takes some disk space on the C: as well, though much less than the installation directory itself (files such as screenshots, the logbook, track files, configuration files, shaders and so on - for me it takes about one GB, against 81 GB for the DCS 2.1 main directory).

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

No, it's not necessary, just create a D:\DCS folder in which you install DCS. Or even better, a D:\sim\DCS1 for version 1.x and D:\sim\DCS2 for version 2.x, for example.

And if you want to store something else, use other folders at the root like D:\documents and so on.

Don't forget that DCS also stores some files in the %PROFILE% directory, most usually in C:\Users\<name>\... so this will takes some disk space on the C: as well, though much less than the installation directory itself (files such as screenshots, the logbook, track files, configuration files, shaders and so on - for me it takes about one GB, against 81 GB for the DCS 2.1 main directory).

All clear now Redglyph. Thanks man.

You can use junction links to re-direct where a folder is

eg you can link your C:\Users\<your username>\Saved Games folder to a different hard drive if you want

junction link magic is a handy uitil for doing this

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

it says all but 85 GB and that's odd since next to no programs and a 32 GB windows old that is also strange and its only 3 days old with a Windows update since setting up. DCS 1.5 is in D:/program files/eagle dynamics/DCS worldand 2.5 is in D:/program files/eagle dynamics/DCS World 2 open alpha

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

It's probably full of Dell crap. I'd start deleting programs your not using from the control panel.

I have an old R3 that I use as a secondary computer and it initially came with a bunch of useless software loaded on it. Its really too bad Alienware was bought out.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Build my own. Win 10. My laptop came with 8 (old). But I'm pretty sure I remember a clean up/ storage suggestion from Win 10 a while back saying make more room by deleting old windows. Anyhoo, long gone.

You may also consider going to a site like Kinguin and getting a completely legit (been working for me for the last couple of years) Windows 10 key for 20 or 30 bucks and installing clean of everything else.

no just did the Windows update after setting up on day one hour one My old lap top had a 500 GB SSD and after having for 3 years and DSC Ocuilus and Steam Main as well as a host of other programs only used 300 GB and the storage drive were I kept things like Steam game only had 400 GB

Edited by RePhil
forgot some thing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]