Creating Mi-8 module for DCS-BIOS

ArturDCS

And do you mean fire as in hot "ouch ouch" or ignition?

Fire as in 'a process in which substances combine chemically with oxygen from the air and typically give out bright light, heat, and smoke; combustion or burning.'

MA-3000_APU_Fire_Edmonton.jpg

Thanks I will try that code and see if it works.

Unfortunaelty it seems the mission editor doesn't allow you to choose 'APU Fire' as a failure option.

So I will have to get shot at until the APU catches fire hehe

If some indicator does not have any interaction with the mouse (not even a tooltip), its argument number may not appear in any Lua file at all.

If that is the case with this indicator, post a screenshot where the offending indicator is pointed out.

I have found an efficient way to find argument numbers with the ED Model Viewer a while ago. I could then make a video tutorial about that method using this indicator as an example.

That sounds good Ian. This one seems solved going by the documentation.

Flight Manual:

ПОЖАР РЕДУК. АИ-9 (ROTOR TRANSMISSION FIRE АI-9) lamp indicates about a fire in the units of the main rotor transmission, the fuel consumed tank and the АИ-9В (AI-9V) engine
So I think "LMP_REDUC_AI9_FIRE" is the correct one. Isn't reduction = transmission? And with the APU being AI-9V.

• 2 months later...

I remembered this post. Now we have a new problem. The AJS37's FR22 radio dials are default_axis => define_potentiometer and I can't get the frequencies by reading their values.

So can the method you mentioned be used here to read the frequency set? I am posting a screenshot of the indicator.

Ian;3244484']If some indicator does not have any interaction with the mouse (not even a tooltip), its argument number may not appear in any Lua file at all.

If that is the case with this indicator, post a screenshot where the offending indicator is pointed out.

I have found an efficient way to find argument numbers with the ED Model Viewer a while ago. I could then make a video tutorial about that method using this indicator as an example.

fr22.jpg.d0e35d3b2500b62f12fffade489214ba.jpg

OK, I selected "Cockpit View" and managed to get all controls in view.

That gauge is PNT_171 (left side) and PNT_173 (right side), don't know whether this helps at all. And I am suspecting it just shows those values when hoovering over the gauge because the mouse is too close to the dials.

Those are the

elements["PNT_171"] = default_axis(_("Radio Manual Frequency Setting Knob Inner Left"),devices.FR22,3003,171, 0, 1,false,true)
elements["PNT_173"] = default_axis(_("Radio Manual Frequency Setting Knob Inner Right"),devices.FR22,3005,173, 0, 1,false,true)

So doesn't this gauge have any values by it's own?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ArturDCS,

I just found this thread, and have copied my post to here. It seems you are the guy I need to speak to!

My name is Molevitch and I fly helicopters in DCS, mostly Mi-8, sometimes Huey. I hope you can help me.

I fly in VR, Rift, but am building a pit in anticipation of the Mi-24 (fingers crossed) which I can use for Mi-8 also, as there is so much crossover on Russian equipment.

I have been building radio panels and so far I have created R-863, R828, SPU-7 and Jadro. These are all managed through a Bodnar 64 Button board, and all work perfectly.

Now, I bought a genuine ARC-9 Radio Nav box on eBay. I want to retain the main freq dials with their original mechanical switches, as they feel great, a fantastic clunky feedback. Other tuner pots have been replaced with rotary encoders, as has volume. Mode selector was busted, and has been replaced with a rotary switch.

So I have not used DCS-BIOS.... or Arduino.... yet.

In my research into this, I have discovered Mi-8 JSON files, and am just now reading and beginning to understand DCS-BIOS and Arduino Sketch.

My question, and hope for help. Will the Mi-8 JSON script enable the correct use of the original dial-switches?

I have now rewired the originals to create simple switches on the 100Khz and 10Khz dialers on the top wafers (not shown in pic). This creates 21 switches per dial set, 10 + 11, In DCS Mi-8 Controls options, only Increase or Decrease is offered. I want the dials to select the correct frequency when switched/turned.

Wiring has been terminated with female duponts for connection to Bodnar BBI 64. This can be changed to male pins for an Arduino board. I have not yet selected an Arduino board to use.

I am not asking you to do it all for me, of course! I just want to check I am on the right path before I invest hours of time on this....

Thank you for your consideration of my question. I hope you will give me a little guidance.

Yours,

Molevitch.

1820083445_arc-9inner.thumb.jpg.96534c4a1f36b98a8642da2e0628f73b.jpg

865924659_arc-9outer.thumb.jpg.69f7fd761ae52d5f62e9f8cd2e9f08d4.jpg

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Hi ArturDCS,

I just found this thread, and have copied my post to here. It seems you are the guy I need to speak to!

:no_sad:

Sorry, I have never done anything Arduino related. I wish I could help. I guess you have to post your question to some DCS-BIOS & Arduino related thread or direct others to this thread.

I have created DCS-BIOS profiles and we use DCS-BIOS heavily in DCSFlightpanels but thats about it..

:no_sad:

Sorry, I have never done anything Arduino related. I wish I could help. I guess you have to post your question to some DCS-BIOS & Arduino related thread or direct others to this thread.

I have created DCS-BIOS profiles and we use DCS-BIOS heavily in DCSFlightpanels but thats about it..

Thanks for your super-speedy reply!

Ah, ok, shame...:( But it looks like I might be on the right track, no? Ok, so your code is for communicating with Saitek panels.... But in principle, you are able to make the Saitek panel as an Arc-9 dial give discrete frequency values to DCS, as opposed to Increade/Decrease commands, as if by mouse clicks in cockpit?

Thank you for your reply, I will try posting to the DCS-BIOS pages too.

Molevitch

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Do you know how to use the DCS-BIOS Control Reference Page?

If you look there you will see there are no such hooks or controls (discrete). You have to move up/down for the ARC-9, Main 10kHz Rotary Knob and ARC-9, Main 100kHz Rotary Knob.

DCSFlightpanels does just that, but as you set the frequency on the Saitek Radio Panel (discrete) and press "Change button" on the panel DCSFlightpanels keeps track of the cockpit frequency and manipulates accordingly the rotaries up/down until the frequencies match.

Thanks for your super-speedy reply!

Ah, ok, shame...:( But it looks like I might be on the right track, no? Ok, so your code is for communicating with Saitek panels.... But in principle, you are able to make the Saitek panel as an Arc-9 dial give discrete frequency values to DCS, as opposed to Increade/Decrease commands, as if by mouse clicks in cockpit?

Thank you for your reply, I will try posting to the DCS-BIOS pages too.

Molevitch

Do you know how to use the DCS-BIOS Control Reference Page?

If you look there you will see there are no such hooks or controls (discrete). You have to move up/down for the ARC-9, Main 10kHz Rotary Knob and ARC-9, Main 100kHz Rotary Knob.

DCSFlightpanels does just that, but as you set the frequency on the Saitek Radio Panel (discrete) and press "Change button" on the panel DCSFlightpanels keeps track of the cockpit frequency and manipulates accordingly the rotaries up/down until the frequencies match.

I have literally only yesterday started to read the DCS-BIOS pages in any detail. Now that I might have an actual need for it, I am trying harder!

I am trying to puzzle out a way the mechanical rotary can work to do the "push button A if turned clockwise, push button B if turned anticlockwise" like a digital rotary encoder. But I cannot. Maybe theres a way.

Or, each switch position is equal to a freq. eg Switch 2 on 1kHz knob = freq 20 kHz. So I need to work out how to tell that to DCS. If I can do that, great, with a Bodnar button board.... I will keep reading the Control reference pages, and figuring.

So an Arduino clone is on its way, something new to learn.

But you say you know nothing about Arduino. I thought DCS-BIOS works only through Arduino. But your DCSFlightPanels interfaces between a Saitek box, and DCS.

:book:

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Yes, DCS-BIOS is made up of several projects. The main project from my point of view is the one that exports of data from the simulator engine.

You will have to make sketches that interpret the same data that I deal with in DCSFlightpanels. It is supposed to be quite easy once you have one foot through the door. Good luck! ;)

I have literally only yesterday started to read the DCS-BIOS pages in any detail. Now that I might have an actual need for it, I am trying harder!

I am trying to puzzle out a way the mechanical rotary can work to do the "push button A if turned clockwise, push button B if turned anticlockwise" like a digital rotary encoder. But I cannot. Maybe theres a way.

Or, each switch position is equal to a freq. eg Switch 2 on 1kHz knob = freq 20 kHz. So I need to work out how to tell that to DCS. If I can do that, great, with a Bodnar button board.... I will keep reading the Control reference pages, and figuring.

So an Arduino clone is on its way, something new to learn.

But you say you know nothing about Arduino. I thought DCS-BIOS works only through Arduino. But your DCSFlightPanels interfaces between a Saitek box, and DCS.

:book:

Yes, DCS-BIOS is made up of several projects. The main project from my point of view is the one that exports of data from the simulator engine.

You will have to make sketches that interpret the same data that I deal with in DCSFlightpanels. It is supposed to be quite easy once you have one foot through the door. Good luck! ;)

Thank you, fingers crossed and down the rabbit hole I go!:thumbup:

bsd sig 2021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the main rotator switch dial working so I am pretty sure the rest will be a piece of cake!

DCS-BIOS a fantastic piece of work! Brilliant.

bsd sig 2021.jpg