If you mastered DCS A-10C, could you hop into the real thing, run it up, and fly it?

kingneptune117

Scabbers, that's not the question that this thread seeks an answer for.

Read my first line.

The hypothetical scenario is someone telling you "here's a fully prepped A10C, get in, start it up and fly". Would you be able to do it based on the simulator?

The answer is: yes. The question mark is whether you'd be able to do it safely enough to be reasonably certain of returning the plane in a repairable state or, for that matter, survive the flying part and most specifically the landing part.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Sure it can be done!

Harris-Moore AKA "Barefoot Burglar" is suspected of being responsible for approximately 100 thefts in Washington, Idaho, and Canada, including bicycles, automobiles, light aircraft, and speedboats. It is believed that he learned how to fly small planes by reading aircraft manuals and handbooks and by playing flight simulator computer games.

Mind you, all the aircraft he allegedly stole were found pretty wrecked. :D And yes, Cessna 182 and 400 are not A-10C.

I think most people would PIO themselves to death on takeoff, personally ...

Scabbers, that's not the question that this thread seeks an answer for.

Read my first line.

The hypothetical scenario is someone telling you "here's a fully prepped A10C, get in, start it up and fly". Would you be able to do it based on the simulator?

The answer is: yes. The question mark is whether you'd be able to do it safely enough to be reasonably certain of returning the plane in a repairable state or, for that matter, survive the flying part and most specifically the landing part.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I was approached about F-18 mod for lock on way back when to do some tech assist on but at the time i couldnt because of my active duty status. Wish to hell I had so i could be flyin with you fellas

;)

Now where is that speed brakes control again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Scabbers, you're under-estimating DCS' accuracy with respect to aircraft controls a little I think. Yes, you have to push the throttles off the idle detent to fire them up ;)

I think most people would probably get nailed - especially on landing - by the engine spool time when you change throttle. They'd probably accordeon their speed like crazy, try to land al ALL costs like they do in the sim, and fall out of the sky. Though the A-10C features engine spool time too so, who knows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

No understimation in sim accuracy. I am just saying that doing it for real is different. ofcourse i have only seen a producer note so please take it at the base level and i mean no insult. I reserve final judgement until i get hands on

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No worries; this argument is often repeated from both sides, and sometimes it is funny to watch. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I think what you said was a perfect example why a kick-ass DCS: Hog simmer would NEVER be allowed near the real deal anyway, though :)

(never-mind selection criteria, training times etc).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....I think most people would probably get nailed - especially on landing......try to land and fall out of the sky.....

You just described my first Hog-Landing in-SIM.....100m short of numbers :music_whistling:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

You just described my first Hog-Landing in-SIM.....100m short of numbers :music_whistling:

You break em we fix em.... AND I STILL SAY ITS NOT EEEGGGEEEEE. IT's Eee-Gee-I (Aye):mad:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I may chime in with my personal experience....

I was ten years old when I took my first flight lesson. I progressed at a rate of about one one-hour lesson per month. Later, during high school, I had to take a break from flying, for various reasons. I ended up being out for at least two years. On the first hour of instruction after two years of not even touching a real plane, the instructor didn't even come close to taking the controls, including the landing. I maintain that my proficiency stayed high because I simmed the entire time that I couldn't fly. I've also read extensively about different topics, so I am aware of phenomena such as spool time/lag associated with turbine engines, among other things.

To get more specific to the Hog, it may be easier to fly than some other frames, given the thick airfoils and rectangular planform of the wing, which give it a nice, low landing speed. Personally, I'd tune up an ILS and hand fly raw data, using the AOA caret. I'd also have the speedbrakes out some, and be carrying some power, for faster response. Over the numbers, close the throttle, put the brakes all the way out, and raise the nose gently. This method works for a lot of planes, with some modification, and I believe the A-10 would be no exception.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Very interesting Avilator :)

I think what you describe is correct, but what I notice is that most people ar simply out of parameters for landing to begin with ... ie. aproaching the runway at 300kt, then making a hurried landing (touchdown at more than 150 or even 180 kt), on the last 1/3rd of the runway, if that.

No one bothers doing a proper aproach, and no one seems to know any landing techniques, including AOA+Glideslope just to start with ... if you don't have just that to begin with, you are essentially guaranteed to perform a sub-standard landing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Agreed, GG.

I'm guilty of a few out-of-parameters landings in FS, and who isn't? But I know how to fly an ILS in the sim and a real plane. I think knowing, and having experience with, the fundamental principle of pitch controlling speed and power controlling altitude would help a lot of people out. Lots of people dive for the strip near Vne, put the gear down 0.5 mile from the numbers, and expect to stop in time. It just ain't gonna happen!

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

Then I have to kick your ass for the hard landing inspection I have to do :P

What hard landing inspection?:pilotfly::D If that's all you're good for on the A-10, go find yourself another job, buddy.:D

-Robert Goddard

Now that would be awesome GG. Funniest gripe I ever saw, "Smoke came out of control box" So I signed it off "Put Smoke back in. Unit checks RFI IAW MIMS" (Ready For Issue In Accoradnce With Maintenance Instruction Modules)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well that and then telling the squadron CO to get the !@#$ off of my airplane when I was sweating my arse off fixing a gripe that had been on the plane for a year. I earned my callsign that day. A pat on the back for a good job and an arse chewing for telling the CO to get the !@#$ off of the plane. True story. in my defense I didnt know it was the CO and it was 130 degrees inside the tube and I was laying in a pool of my own sweat. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Put aircraft aside for a moment. Anyone ever needed to call some emergency services over the phone? Like police, or firefighters. I'll tell you, I use the phone every day, but the first time I needed to call the fire brigade for real - I couldn't do it. It's not that I was scared, I wasn't in any danger, and it was a small fire on a nearby roof, but I just couldn't dial the right number. I ended up trying three times, always pushing the wrong buttons, and trying again from the beginning, becouse I couln't rembember, at that moment, where the button that deletes just the last digit was!

And the thing is, you never know it it would happen to you, until you experience it! Overshooting the numbers? Hell, you'de be lucky if you remamber to bring the landing gear down ;)

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Now that would be awesome GG. Funniest gripe I ever saw, "Smoke came out of control box" So I signed it off "Put Smoke back in. Unit checks RFI IAW MIMS" (Ready For Issue In Accoradnce With Maintenance Instruction Modules)

Those "gag' write-ups and corrective actions are cute on the internet, but I've never seen anything of the sort in real life.

The maintenance logbook (or the equivalent thereof) isn't something to be messed around with...at least not in the airline world. Would a mechanic really sign off potentially arcing wires and smoke in the cockpit as being flightworthy? I sure hope not.

The closest thing to a funny write-up I've seen in 12 years was something to the effect of:

Discrepancy: Aft lav toilet seat cracked.

Corrective Action: R/R aft lav ass-gasket IAW MM 25-40-11. Ops checked good.

The mechanic in question got suspended and we had to self-report the improper procedure to our FAA PMI (Principal Maintenance Inspector) to avoid an $11,000 fine.

I'd hate to be the victim of some SNCO's wrath after I blew off a write-up about smoke in the cockpit.

Edited by BlueRidgeDx

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

:megalol:

-Robert Goddard

Overshooting the numbers? Hell, you'de be lucky if you remamber to bring the landing gear down ;)

That's what checklists are for. Plus, the AOA caret doesn't work with the gear up. And there's a gear horn.

-Robert Goddard

Well that all depended on who was in maintenance. Usually those got as far as the analyst and then it was kicked back to be fixed. But occasionally they went up. I only ever saw one guy get in trouble for that and that was because he called the pilot a friggin idiot on the Form and used the not so nice words.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]