night time flying looks like dust everywhere

fitness88

Off the web:

This works I tried it. EDIT: this is not correct it is a problem with Oculus not DCS It's a problem with DCS, I don't need to do this fix for similar environments in other games.

But because night flying graphics are so poor in 2.5 I don't bother flying at night. I read DCS is working on the night flight issues.

It seems since the last update when looking into darkness I see a fine film of what looks like dust particles [see attachment].

I read an online article:

"the need to disable "SPUD" (Oled Mura)"

1- Disable OVRService from Task manager (Services tab)

2- Open Regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software

3- Right click on the Software folder > New > Key and name the new folder "Oculus"

4- Right click on the Oculus folder > New > DWORD 32bit Value and name it UseSpud

5- Set the value to 0

6- Start OVRService again and put on your headset

7- (Probably) be amazed at how everything looks clean and black

Edited by fitness88

• 1 month later...

Hi all, the green haze when flying night sorties in 2.5 Stable with my Mirage is terrible.

Is the disabling of the SPUD as per fitness88 recommendation the proven solution?

I have seen "turn of deferred Shading" and also resetting NVidia specs.

Can someone say that there is a tried and tested way to remove the MURA from night flights yet?

Hi all, the green haze when flying night sorties in 2.5 Stable with my Mirage is terrible.

Is the disabling of the SPUD as per fitness88 recommendation the proven solution?

I have seen "turn of deferred Shading" and also resetting NVidia specs.

Can someone say that there is a tried and tested way to remove the MURA from night flights yet?

The registry edit took away 90% of the issue I described having. It takes 1 minute to do and if you don't feel it's doing anything for you just delete the edit.

thanks mate, really appreciate your help.

followed the steps and its a totally new game.

beautiful deep blacks, no Mura and can now night fly properly.

Glad to help. I've been in communications with the techs at Oculus. They had no idea what I was talking about let alone how to fix it...very strange!

Glad to help. I've been in communications with the techs at Oculus. They had no idea what I was talking about let alone how to fix it...very strange!

So it's an Oculus issue and not a DCS issue?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all and just to finish off my experience,

I also fly the Gazelle and struggled with the very blurred dash.

It was also due to very poor dark colours but the suggested fix has also worked to sort this out.

The Gazelle’s interior has just come to life after the changes.

Crystal clear dials, interior lights and all that you can see in the cockpit is now so much better.

I would recommend this fix to anyone wanting crisp sharp visuals in VR.

I have even noticed the changes to terrain and weather which are now beautifully clear and crisp.

I thought I would share my system if that also helps.

ASRock Z370 extreme, i7 8700K, GTX 1080ti extreme edition, 32G Vengeance 3200 Ram, cooler master water cooling, 2x250G Evo 960 SSD with one dedicated to DCS and the other for Windows etc, Windows 10 64bit OS, Oculus Rift CV1 and nothing overclocked, full Warthog throttle and joystick HOTAS.

Thanks everyone.

Hi all and just to finish off my experience,

I also fly the Gazelle and struggled with the very blurred dash.

It was also due to very poor dark colours but the suggested fix has also worked to sort this out.

The Gazelle’s interior has just come to life after the changes.

Crystal clear dials, interior lights and all that you can see in the cockpit is now so much better.

I would recommend this fix to anyone wanting crisp sharp visuals in VR.

I have even noticed the changes to terrain and weather which are now beautifully clear and crisp.

I thought I would share my system if that also helps.

ASRock Z370 extreme, i7 8700K, GTX 1080ti extreme edition, 32G Vengeance 3200 Ram, cooler master water cooling, 2x250G Evo 960 SSD with one dedicated to DCS and the other for Windows etc, Windows 10 64bit OS, Oculus Rift CV1 and nothing overclocked, full Warthog throttle and joystick HOTAS.

Thanks everyone.

What amount of pixel density are you using, also called super sampling. It might have an impact on this effect.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

SPUD was intentionally by oculus, to speed the response time of the single pixels up, otherwise black pixels would go to sleep(sounds strange, of course in milliseconds), this ms delay got people motion sick, so they changed it to this.

disabling SPUD as mentioned in this thread fixes they grey looking pixels, this is definately an intended issue on the oculus side, because its very technically and needs more knowledge of their system i would assume their employes on the support side dont even know about that.

PD does not change anything, for a better explanation google "how to disable spud oculus" which guides u to the original FIX, this threads (several) regarding dcs night lighting came up with 2.5s dark night, but spud was already enabled before, just not recognized by the people

Off the web:

This works I tried it. EDIT: this is not correct it is a problem with Oculus not DCS It's a problem with DCS, I don't need to do this fix for similar environments in other games.

But because night flying graphics are so poor in 2.5 I don't bother flying at night. I read DCS is working on the night flight issues.

It seems since the last update when looking into darkness I see a fine film of what looks like dust particles [see attachment].

I read an online article:

"the need to disable "SPUD" (Oled Mura)"

1- Disable OVRService from Task manager (Services tab)

2- Open Regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software

3- Right click on the Software folder > New > Key and name the new folder "Oculus"

4- Right click on the Oculus folder > New > DWORD 32bit Value and name it UseSpud

5- Set the value to 0

6- Start OVRService again and put on your headset

7- (Probably) be amazed at how everything looks clean and black

tried this and did not see any change.

If it is the grainy filter that can be seen in very dark scene, then it is still there.

Any ideas?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

tried this and did not see any change.

If it is the grainy filter that can be seen in very dark scene, then it is still there.

Any ideas?

Did you make sure to disable first the ovrservice and did exactly as mentioned above then restart the ovrservice?

Did you make sure to disable first the ovrservice and did exactly as mentioned above then restart the ovrservice?

Yes, thanks. Interestingly, I had an entry in the registry that starts with oculus but ends with inc something. Sorry, not at my computer currently. Is it possible this entry is no longer valid with the new version?

Yes, thanks. Interestingly, I had an entry in the registry that starts with oculus but ends with inc something. Sorry, not at my computer currently. Is it possible this entry is no longer valid with the new version?

Are you sure then that you effectively created the correct registry edit in the correct place?

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus

Are you sure then that you effectively created the correct registry edit in the correct place?

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus

Yes, but let me share the export from regedit. Look as if regedit will not export the first part "computer".

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus]

"UseSpud"=dword:00000000

But I also added the same value to the existing key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus VR, LLC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus VR, LLC\LibOVR]

"AswEnabled"=dword:00000001

Yes, but let me share the export from regedit. Look as if regedit will not export the first part "computer".

But I also added the same value to the existing key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus VR, LLC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oculus VR, LLC\LibOVR]

"AswEnabled"=dword:00000001

This is mine:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

I don't have the other 2 entries you have. Maybe its causing the non-response.

This is mine:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

I don't have the other 2 entries you have. Maybe its causing the non-response.

Wait, you tell me that you do not have the “Oculus VR, LLC” key in your registry? That was generated by oculus, not me. I only added the UseSpud in that key.

nicely done

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

• 1 month later...
Wow, never got this to work for me.

With registry edits, I find that people get the location wrong when creating the value. HKLM vs HK Current User, for example. Or not setting it as DWORD (although it's the default, I believe).

Regardless, you have you made sure your registry setting is where it should be? I would double check that first.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1