The future of F-5E in DCS?

ThorBrasil

First, I like to fly aboard the Tiger :thumbup:

Secondly, it would be really appreciated to develop an export version including some options such as the refueling boom, the INS navigation center (the versions used in Switzerland have them).

This would make the F5 even more interesting for missions, more precise navigation, increased carrying capacity and longevity ...

I understand that this may require a lot of extra work, why not make it an add on module? Like the gazelle for example.

These "small" improvements would make the F5 a little more competitive in the modern DCS sky. No ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Only sixteen? :book:

I may confused you by refering to "original", I meant "made for US use, not for sale", something like this.

As you may know, we now are busy with ED on Hornet production, but after some degree of it's completeness we will discuss about adding new options to F-5E, though I can't promise that any will be added. And IF any new option will be added, it will be optional :music_whistling:

keep getting busy with the F18 please :D

Only sixteen? :book:

I may confused you by refering to "original", I meant "made for US use, not for sale", something like this.

As you may know, we now are busy with ED on Hornet production, but after some degree of it's completeness we will discuss about adding new options to F-5E, though I can't promise that any will be added. And IF any new option will be added, it will be optional :music_whistling:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

F-5 is one of my favourite module, you guys put nice stuff together. But as an user(sorry brezilian friends ;)) I would rather see the module full fixed in his actual version before adding new feature. I know that you guys at BST are busy with some other work for the moment, but i'm sure that you will fully fix the module in a near future :smilewink:

P.S: You know that swiss put some love to the f-5 as well, right?:music_whistling::surrender:

Have A Greate Week End

O FAB!

Member of the Virtual Patrouille Suisse Since 2010. High and slow, fast and low.

Intel i9-12900k | 64GB RAM | RTX4090 | HP Rerverb G2 | T-50CM3 Base | WinWing Set

Through the forums, I saw a lot of "me want this" and "you can do this" kind of threads and reply but there is one thing most members failed to understand; Without proper documentation, nothing can't get done properly. Early in this very specific thread, Belsimtek mentioned they had some blind spot regarding the requested modifications. Then many of you came forward saying it was done BUT none of you came up with facts and proof (written documentation explaining functionalities and designs).

So while you were all asking, Belsimtek never got help realizing your fantasies.

In reality, any request made to a 3rd party developer should include documents, photos and/or any other facts....but that is only my 0.02cents.

My systems:

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-8700k

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Asus ROG 2080ti

HP Reverb

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70Ghz

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Nvidia Quadro M4000M

TrackIR 5

...Usually the sub number indicates a specific config. At least I'm used to that. ...

I would expect it to be so too.

Not to open the proverbial can any wider or to stir up the worms inside, but to illustrate my confusion:

I can find two versions of the T.O. 1F-5E-1, one is 'Original', change 0 and the other is Change 9, 1978 and 1990 respectively.

The original, under Main Difference Table, Section I, 1-3, Figure 1-1 has the E-3 with the AN/APQ-153 radar and AN/ASG-29 optical sight. Change 9 has it with APQ-159(V)-3 radar and ASG-31 optical sight.

If we check the Aircraft Designation Codes for both revisions of the T.O. we find different batches described as E-3. I would not know if some batches were retrofitted or if the definition of E-3 changed over time, or if the info we can find available for the public is wrong?

*EDIT: The -34 differentiates radar models by flags (1, 2) rather than referring to the sub number.

The T.O. also states that "Aircraft equipped with systems and/or equipment not included in this manual are covered in supplemental flight manuals" then proceeds to list the batch numbers and applicable T.O.s I think it is fair to guess said documents are still not available for public consumption.

As a side note, there are more than one country that did/does use the F-5E with refueling probes. Not that it matters much.

Very happy to read people are busy with the Hornet. Now someone must go and make a Switzerland map too, with the Axalp range included. Kidding. No, not really.

As for the Swiss love for the F-5, I think it was rewarded/acknowledged by BST with the radio call plate in the instrument panel? That is not an US reg for sure. Hoping for a Beast callsign for the Hornet. But that belongs in another thread.

Edited by dolfo

if you want a nonfunctional addon boom, just have someone make the 3D Shape and Load it as a Store.

A functioning addon boom will require cockpit panel and fuel systems code.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

F-5 is one of my favourite module, you guys put nice stuff together. But as an user(sorry brezilian friends ;)) I would rather see the module full fixed in his actual version before adding new feature. I know that you guys at BST are busy with some other work for the moment, but i'm sure that you will fully fix the module in a near future :smilewink:

P.S: You know that swiss put some love to the f-5 as well, right?:music_whistling::surrender:

Have A Greate Week End

O FAB!

:pilotfly:

Ok we understood that.

The community expresses its desires. We just say it would be nice to have these various options or improvements available on the F5E. For documentation I think (maybe I'm wrong) that it's easier for a professional to find it than for a particular one?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Beautiful ;)

AGM-65 Maverick Loaded on Weapon Pylon under the Right Wing of ROCAF F-5E

800px-AGM-65_Maverick_Loaded_on_Weapon_Pylon_under_the_Right_Wing_of_ROCAF_F-5E_5272_20130601.jpg

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Beautiful ;)

AGM-65 Maverick Loaded on Weapon Pylon under the Right Wing of ROCAF F-5E

800px-AGM-65_Maverick_Loaded_on_Weapon_Pylon_under_the_Right_Wing_of_ROCAF_F-5E_5272_20130601.jpg

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Both Mavericks and Refueling Probe would be amazing adds to the already current "best-in-game" aircraft (my opinion, of course).

I understand the difficulties with both.

Personally, I would prefer the AAR capability.

It would be great if Belsimtek decided to add a second version of the F5 (similar to Polychop's various SA-342 models) and have an export AAR version. I'm not sure the additional sales would justify the work, though. At the very least, I'd be in for an additional copy to send to my dad (trying to get him started on DCS soon).

nothing wrong with the f-5 as it is. you keep up the feature creep and we'll eventually arrive at a f-35.

So you're saying that you don't want to see a potentially expanded module to include additional capabilities? :huh:

Some pilots suffer from Maverickophobia (fear of Tom Cruise in Top Gun movie), some people suffer from Mk82-missophobia (fear of missing the target using iron bombs). :-D

TBH I don't want Mavs in F-5, it's good in current shape. But if they are good simulated, why not? Just for fun... ;-)

Some pilots suffer from Maverickophobia (fear of Tom Cruise in Top Gun movie), some people suffer from Mk82-missophobia (fear of missing the target using iron bombs). :-D

TBH I don't want Mavs in F-5, it's good in current shape. But if they are good simulated, why not? Just for fun... ;-)

The way I see it is, I'm happy with the F5 right now, i'll be even happier with maverick, if the developer plan to add it, it's awesome. If not I'm enjoying it.

The more weapons, the merrier!

No need to make fun of guided weaponry,y that give it more depth to use as a additional option. keep in mind due to lack of realistic splash damage Mk82s are really only effective against softer targets. you pretty much need direct hits against Mbt's.

because even the 21 has a guided missile. tell that to the mig21 pilots.

Besiides that model shouldnt evne have grom given the RL BIS never was armed with it, becasue RP22SMA radar couldnt guide it.

OFC a maverick is overall better given its a TV guided fire and forget missile. A AGm12 bullpop would be fun to use, and and closest counterpart, but given F5E's never used them though.....

Keep in mind that these would only be the early Agm65A/B series and not rocking with AGM65D or H series.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD