Curious about Windows 10

I also know people who kept their black and white TVs with the screen toward the back wall because they considered they were spied. (imemorial times)

Now seriously, what so important data are you people keeping on your PC? Secret service, geological critical info, Schindler's list? C'mon people :))))

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Ah the memories of creating DOS boot disks specific for games..

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am actually related to someone that has tape over his laptop camera. :cry:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Now seriously, what so important data are you people keeping on your PC? Secret service, geological critical info, Schindler's list? C'mon people :))))

There is truth in your point. On the other hand, I decide who gets access to my data. And some companies seem to think it's more and more okay to take that decision away from me, or at least make it very tempting to let them handle it.

Ah the memories of creating DOS boot disks specific for games..

Yeah, bad old times. :D

I am actually related to someone that has tape over his laptop camera. :cry:

What's so weird about it? It's an incredibly simple way to keep the camera from doing stuff without the owner's express consent. I recall reading about a case where a script-kiddie infected computers of people in a chat room or something like that and watched them do whatever private things they did at home, until some of the victims wondered about the camera-indicator coming on at seemingly random times.

The number if critical soft- and hardware vulnerabilities that were made public this month alone is scary like hell. I'd feel much safer if we could actually secure vital parts of our computers by a simple bit of duct tape just as easily as the camera. :thumbup:

Ok, if so - would you mind to give me access to you PC then?

I promise I will keep this data with me, except cases when I provide this data to third parties who I think is trusted (like that strange nerd living next to me). Please enable all "save password", "save cookies", "remember me" in you browser before enter to your online banking server, as well as in to google and ms accounts. Please also make sure that your microphone and web-camera are always connected to your PC, and there is no insulation tape on camera lens.

Thank you in advance and please enjoy your privacy! :)

• Like 1

Всех убью, один останусь!

So Necroscope... what OS are you running to get DCS working?

If it's any Windows version, what's your point anyway?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Paranoia is a terrible thing to waste.......

All new versions of Windows are met with the same temporary resistance by relatively few people. Most of whom eventually end up taking the plunge in the end as well.

Windows 10 is actually a pretty good OS from my experience with it so far. It does everything I need it to do for work and gaming and it does so very reliably.

I personally use a local account and not an MS account. I do not find the personal data integration aspects of this OS that I do not currently use any hindrance at all. That these features are there for me if and when I choose to use them I see as a positive.

What's to complain? :joystick:

Out

• Like 1

I personally use a local account and not an MS account. I do not find the personal data integration aspects of this OS that I do not currently use any hindrance at all. That these features are there for me if and when I choose to use them I see as a positive.

This! :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hmm I have always just used my Hotmail account to sign into Windows 8.1, and as suggested by this thread am about to pull the trigger and upgrade to Windows 10. I wonder if I should have any concerns using my Hotmail id to sign in...

Have been gathering all the Windows 10 drivers for all my hardware and have them downloaded. Going to copy them to my external USB hard drive so I know I will be able to access them. According to the latest report dated today by Win 10 upgrade advisor, I " should " have no conflicts with my software or hardware. I also will do a complete system image just before upgrading so I can easily restore it if needed.

Also I am going to just try the ugrade and see how it does, normally I change motherboards around the same time as an OS upgrade so I end up doing a clean install, this time though I am about a year or two away from my next motherboard upgrade and I would really like to avoid a clean install if I can.

Just matter of when now, I still am in no big rush but may go ahead and give it a try here very soon.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So Necroscope... what OS are you running to get DCS working?

If it's any Windows version, what's your point anyway?

It's win7. Just because we have no other options.

My point is not against MS or Windows in general, I'm speaking about the policy adopted by MS starting Win8 and extended in Win10 - "Add more commercial mandatory crap, collect as many user-data as possible, force user to live our rules no matter what he want." New generation of update-happy users with "update just because it's newer and newer is always better" successfully grown (look on iphone users f.e.).

And as far as I can see - MS succeeded in this.

I've ask a lot of Win10 users - "Why do you think win10 is better?" 70% said - "It's new", 20% - "it's looks nice", 10% "it was the way to get rid of update notification". No one pointed something technical like advertised pseudo-virtual desktops, security features (is there any new?), performance grow or anything else valuable.

Keeping in mind "no-pluses" and "some not clear things regarding data collection, mandatory updates and interface infested with Ribbon" - this is definitely no-go.

This is my point.

Всех убью, один останусь!

Well I have been making a lot of preparations, downloading all the drivers I might need, doing some housekeeping on my current system, will be imaging my system just prior to trying the upgrade route to Windows 10. Have created bootable rescue media so I can easily restore my Win 8.1 should anything go south.

I think I have about got everything ready. but going to hold off until after the holiday I think so I will have plenty of time to focus on it and nothing else. We will have a lot of folks here on Friday and will be spending a lot of time preparing for that.

Don B

Well I have done about all the prep work I can do, have two complete system images of my 8.1 install, have restore media on a usb thumb drive in case I need to restore 8.1, cleaned up my system as best I can. Upgrade advisor tells me I am good to go with my apps and programs.

Got my new MFG pedals in yesterday, decided to go ahead and get this win 10 upgrade over with and running before installing them, and I am anxious to use them, so here I go.

Hopefully everything will run smoothly going the upgrade route. As I am not changing motherboards at this time would rather try this first than going through the clean install.

So here goes nothing... fingers crossed!

Don B

I have Win 7/64 on my gaming rig and both Win 8 and Win 10 on my work machines. I won't update my gaming rig until someone either points a gun to my head or Dx12 becomes mandatory. Win 8 is the WORST invention since Subprime Mortgages and Win 10 isn't far behind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

The upgrade went very smoothly, really it was done in about 30 minutes. I have been grabbing and installing Windows 10 drivers for some hardware to be sure I have the latest.

Everything remained intact, nothing seems out of place and everything is working very well. I think I am going to like this better than Win 8.1.

Don B

The upgrade went very smoothly, really it was done in about 30 minutes. I have been grabbing and installing Windows 10 drivers for some hardware to be sure I have the latest.

Everything remained intact, nothing seems out of place and everything is working very well. I think I am going to like this better than Win 8.1.

Excellent.

Windows 10 is a pretty nice OS indeed. I think you will be happy.

Out