Can we get some life into these warbirds? ( Engine management)

hazzer

All the aircraft in dcs are missing a very important part of operating an aircraft. Engine management is so important, older jets you get compressor stalls etc but not modeled here.

The prop aircraft are pretty lifeless, they start up the same each time, there could be some variety and dynamics to the engine. Mag checks are usually important and if you sit at idle you will feel the plugs or the engine will cut out, this is all stuff that could make the sim so much better!

I think it could be more important to have aircrafts turbolence......:music_whistling:

I think it could be more important to have aircrafts turbolence......:music_whistling:

turbulence is present you have to set it in weather options

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I always like whenever in a complain thread you guys discover features that were there but you thought there weren't or were just bugs :lol: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

All the aircraft in dcs are missing a very important part of operating an aircraft. Engine management is so important, older jets you get compressor stalls etc but not modeled here.

The prop aircraft are pretty lifeless, they start up the same each time, there could be some variety and dynamics to the engine. Mag checks are usually important and if you sit at idle you will feel the plugs or the engine will cut out, this is all stuff that could make the sim so much better!

All the jets model compressor stalls afaik. I have had the engines cut out multiple times on me in the Frogfoot and also had it happen in the C-101 (this just recently under hard maneuvering). On maintenance related stuff, You need to enable random failures or yeah... you don't get failures @@

@Ala ManOWar

That's probably because 90% of them only play on clear skies, no wind, summer flights, and/or spend most their time putting around in landing patterns or touring @@

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

i fly 99% online so i got weather which is set in server so cant do much about it

its kinda pity that most servers have no wind no turbulence on

maby becouse clouds are broken i dont know

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I'm just going to say that the start-up is way too linear in DCS. I could start the Mustang blindfolded and sound muted every time. We need some dynamics there that actually make you have to pay attention, and doesn't make start-up so easy all the time.

I heard A2A did a good job on theirs, hopefully if ED and A2A pair up, we can get some changes done to our carbureted engines.

I'd also love to see more visual effects, like cold start smoke, and fire (where appropriate out of the stacks), like when overpriming for instance.

As I posted above, there are also NO coolant and aftercoolant vents in the DCS Mustang. They're not even minimally textured.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 1 month later...

I've played around with ancient motors in backyards and my daily driver is an old Daimler 3.0 litre I put a 30/70 cam in (with the hand machined flow benched rebuild, should be good for 270hp+ but I'll have to MS piggyback the CIS/E to get past 240 looks like).

To get full realism from the engine side would be awesome but I can see right off the bat the protraction complex evolutionary diversity will want to play in a genuinely realistic simulation, ie. we'd be talking about a full simulator dedication to the engine model because to get the personality that really characterises each one of those engines, well you couldn't replicate the engine I built in my car and consistency isn't exactly the strong suit of an old Daimler, my plugs are fouling and being blown off again all day long and this kind of old school street racer style engine building is basically exactly the same tech as those WW2 fighter engines except they tune for throttle altitude and we tune for sea level horsepower.

So they're a real high performance engine just like a car race motor from past decades and old tech, the same way pretty stressed out just being there, designed to operate normally within an inch of breaking in half and mate, every time I start my kind of annoying but super fun engine in my car it has a completely different personality until I blow the weeds out. You can actually watch the idle degrade over a few seconds sitting in traffic, until you have to rock the throttle just to keep it running, but within a second of taking off it's all good again. This is all the sort of behaviour you'll see in these high performance engines, you just think in terms of operating in a range of air densities instead of a range of engine speeds, a sort of 3d performance graph represented by altitude instead of engine speed like a car race engine, but same tech, same basic build protocol and behaviour as an old drag racing engine. Sodium filled, piston skirt oil cooling, etc. A lot of stuff AMG started doing with Mercedes engines. The Gullwing 300SL capable of 170mph used a direct injection system adapted directly from a Daimler Messer engine.

Pilots who flew Merlins and Daimlers will recognize the personalities of those particular engines with an entire series of engine-specific quirks and routines. I suppose it's the flavour of operating those particular aircraft, just like an oil blackened face was part of operating a WW1 vintage aircraft.

Just lending my support for this thread. Or running for office. Nope, lending support.

This kind of engine simulation would be fantastic, and make operation of the warbirds just that much better. Dedicating a chunk of ED probably wouldn't be very efficient though.

I hear that A2A did a good job on their Mustang. And there is HOPE for an ED and A2A collab (based off a Facebook post months ago). I think A2A would do good at recreating simulations of the engines, particularly the temperamental carbureted ones

At least that's my wish

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

This kind of engine simulation would be fantastic, and make operation of the warbirds just that much better. Dedicating a chunk of ED probably wouldn't be very efficient though.

I hear that A2A did a good job on their Mustang. And there is HOPE for an ED and A2A collab (based off a Facebook post months ago). I think A2A would do good at recreating simulations of the engines, particularly the temperamental carbureted ones

At least that's my wish

All the aircraft from a2a have amazing simulation, the aircraft actually feels alive.

Unfortunately nothing from them for DCS, they put that to bed on their forums

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

All the aircraft from a2a have amazing simulation, the aircraft actually feels alive.

Unfortunately nothing from them for DCS, they put that to bed on their forums

By that, do you mean there will NOT be a collab, or they just aren't commenting on it?

• ED Team

Hi all

ED are working on cooling systems at the moment, I will ask if we can get an update soon on other progress.

As the thread has 1.15 violations I will close. When we have more news we will share it.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2