Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I find also changing the IPD on the original rift had little impact until I got down towards the lower ranges. Looking forward to the rift s. After the pimax, I realised ease of use, good software, minimal distortions, and good frame rates are more important than increased resolution and fov.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering reviews are posted for it I'll tell you what my source told me. His results in DCS were good. He had an opportunity to compare it directly to the Vive Pro and prefered the image in the Rift S to the Vive Pro. I'm unsure of his IPD so results could vary, but overall impression was enough to choose that over the vive pro. I can only imagine it had to do with the impact full RGB makes on clarity.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

I find also changing the IPD on the original rift had little impact until I got down towards the lower ranges. Looking forward to the rift s. After the pimax, I realised ease of use, good software, minimal distortions, and good frame rates are more important than increased resolution and fov.

So at least I'm not alone.

I had some rather high hopes for the Pimax but those where clearly dashed.

I can barely squeeze 40fps out of it on the smaller fov and that's with a 1080ti and graphics settings set to "mud".

After three years with the cv1, having something just work is something hard to give up.

And looking forward to not having to bother with the cameras.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Rift S Setup, Unboxing, and Tips:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The ipd adjustment exist via software...the lenovo explorer had the same and worked quite well....i preordered the rift s...sure the index seems more innovative, i had preordered it if i were a vive user...but having to buy also controllers and base stations i choose the rift s.

I am sure (having tried rift, lenovo explorer and odyssey +) that the slightly less resolution won’t be noticed, while the bigger clarity of the rgb screen will be noticeable

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I'm hoping I'll be able to use old Touch with Rift S - my Rift CV1 will remain installed, so I don't think it should be too much of an issue. I really enjoy archery games and I foresee a problem with the new touch when knocking arrows - I currently have my index finger right up to my cheek, with the new Touch that would put the round bar through my cheek!

Don't want to use Touch for sims, though - I feel it lowers immersion.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I'm hoping I'll be able to use old Touch with Rift S - my Rift CV1 will remain installed, so I don't think it should be too much of an issue. I really enjoy archery games and I foresee a problem with the new touch when knocking arrows - I currently have my index finger right up to my cheek, with the new Touch that would put the round bar through my cheek!

Don't want to use Touch for sims, though - I feel it lowers immersion.

I read an article yesterday (can't find the link right now) and it said that you can use the old controllers with the Rift S.

I read an article yesterday (can't find the link right now) and it said that you can use the old controllers with the Rift S.

If so I may well do the same.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I wonder how that works, as the tracking system is completely different... Would you have to keep the sensors set up for the controllers? You wouldn’t be mixing up the ability to use Vive controllers with the Index, possibly?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Ah thanks - that is good news.

***I've just spent a while searching and haven't found anything but people saying it won't be possible. I'll keep looking, though - I'm thinking they are talking about using the current Touch with the new tracking and of course that is very unlikely to work - but if we have the sensors all set up, I don't see why it should be an issue at all.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

sure the index seems more innovative

Well it's maybe more innovative as an headset itself and maybe the controllers, but It uses an old tracking method (of course very precise, but old) with external sensors. In this field I see the Rift s more innovative with 5 cameras inside-out tracking.

Well it's maybe more innovative as an headset itself and maybe the controllers, but It uses an old tracking method (of course very precise, but old) with external sensors. In this field I see the Rift s more innovative with 5 cameras inside-out tracking.

For flight simming I am sure it will be fine, but for overall solid tracking the "old" method is very solid and hard to beat from both Oculus and Vive.

Obviously they are all going for ease of setup as priority.

Don B

And the extra cost, which is obvious when looking at the price of Index base stations.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

For flight simming I am sure it will be fine, but for overall solid tracking the "old" method is very solid and hard to beat from both Oculus and Vive.

Obviously they are all going for ease of setup as priority.

Well, we don't know yet, if we get similar flowless tracking with lack of external sensors that would be great. Looking forward for it. I have some issues with the sensors now:

1. I am already short on usb ports having already 12 in use with 2 additional usb cards. So 2 free usb 3 ports are very welcomed.

2. Sometimes I can get out of Sensors coverage especially with the hand controllers, but happens sometimes for the hmd as well. Moving my head down my front panel with mfds and ufc get on the sensors way.

Overall two devices with their cables less in the already cable spaghetti mess is always good :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree. Maybe vive / index tracking system Is Better, but cv1 with 3 sensors Is absolutely enough for me; if we'll have the same tracking quality with Rift s I prefer a slightly less precise system than steam but without cameras hanging on the Wall and a ball of cables behind the PC. I'm not a cat!

Well that’s another point of view...i mostly we’re thinking about the lens setup...

Anyway i preordered the rift s, so i put bug faith in it

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I've ordered a Rift S, I always thought the weakest aspect of my CV1 was the tracking as I had to sit quite close to the sensors due to lack of space on my desk. Second to that is image quality, so the inside out will probably work best for me as I rarely do anything other than flying and driving sims. Price and image quality seem to be a strength of the S, but my biggest worry by far is sound quality.

I can see a cobbled together solution with a small but decent pair of headphones, a hacksaw and some araldite looming in the crystal ball.

Anyway, that gives me three weeks to find how the Reverb performs in sims, I'm not 100% sure about the WMR platform, but Oculus software is tried and tested. If the Reverb is as good as I dream of, then I'll cancel the Rift S and go with HP.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I've ordered a Rift S, I always thought the weakest aspect of my CV1 was the tracking as I had to sit quite close to the sensors due to lack of space on my desk. Second to that is image quality, so the inside out will probably work best for me as I rarely do anything other than flying and driving sims. Price and image quality seem to be a strength of the S, but my biggest worry by far is sound quality.

I can see a cobbled together solution with a small but decent pair of headphones, a hacksaw and some araldite looming in the crystal ball.

Anyway, that gives me three weeks to find how the Reverb performs in sims, I'm not 100% sure about the WMR platform, but Oculus software is tried and tested. If the Reverb is as good as I dream of, then I'll cancel the Rift S and go with HP.

Someone at work told me the rift S has audio through an audio band around the headset above your ears, but just no headphones. You can definitely connect any headphones to it. I'm curious how loud this audio band may be.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The problem is that Sumo wrestler's jockstrap of a headband that looks to me like putting decent headphones on will be a clumsy experience. It may be no big deal, and I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, so we'll see.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I think the long-term plan is to offer a headphone setup for the Rift S . I recall a picture showing a slide latch inside the headset backplate that apparently is used to detach the entire halo , leaving the possibility of attaching one with speakers connected via the jack .

That makes sense , given the difficulty of getting headphones over the thick halo band , and the clearly inadequate stock audio as compared to the original Rift . The questions are price and availability .

The other headset i'm interested in , the Index , raises questions of its own . I wonder about the off-ear design audio interfering with the microphone . I can't live without Voiceattack/Vaicom Pro in vr !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Someone at work told me the rift S has audio through an audio band around the headset above your ears, but just no headphones. You can definitely connect any headphones to it. I'm curious how loud this audio band may be.

From what I have read I was quite sure I would not be happy with the included audio on the Rift S. I have read it is certainly not as good as the Rift CV1. I ordered a pair of Klipsch in ear headphones today to use with my upcoming Rift S. I have been using the Oculus Earbuds ( in ear) for the last couple of years and really like them. I like how the in ear isolates all the ambient noise and the sound being literally in my ears. Just seems most natural to me.

I have always been happy with Klipsch products, have their speakers with my PC and also my home entertainment, so figure their ear phones would likely be ok for my Rift S as well.

Don B

Exactly my plan. Hopefully the reverb is released next week. But strange it’s so quiet.

From what I have read I was quite sure I would not be happy with the included audio on the Rift S. I have read it is certainly not as good as the Rift CV1. I ordered a pair of Klipsch in ear headphones today to use with my upcoming Rift S. I have been using the Oculus Earbuds ( in ear) for the last couple of years and really like them. I like how the in ear isolates all the ambient noise and the sound being literally in my ears. Just seems most natural to me.

I have always been happy with Klipsch products, have their speakers with my PC and also my home entertainment, so figure their ear phones would likely be ok for my Rift S as well.

I like Klipsch speakers I have them for my PC setup with a sub and they are blutooth too. Great sound too. I would probably do the same unless Oculus announces add on speakers.

I really want to know how it compares to my Odyssey. Obviously the Reverb will have better panels and a higher resolution but if the reverb will require me to upgrade my 1080Ti and the S won't, then it makes sense to go with Oculus.

Unless of course we get new gpu cards available too anytime soon which we won't I think.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Exactly my plan. Hopefully the reverb is released next week. But strange it’s so quiet.

Makes a bit of sense really.

The vr press is currently flooding over with Index and Rift S news.

It would either be pointless or very expensive to compete on the same news cycles as those two and waiting a week or two they can get it out in a less contested.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.