Follow up to my earlier navigation post

Tiger4-2

Hey all! Good news, I did some digging and discovered the Leatherneck Corsair will have the time period appropriate ZB Mk III Homing system, which will guide you to the Essex class carrier they are also releasing.

In addition, I read that the marianas map will be 400x400 square kilometers, which at that latitude (13.4521° N, 144.7632° E for Guam) is roughly 4° of Latitude by 4° of longitude. This means that the maximum possible flight from one end of the map to another would be about 390 miles from one corner to another diagonally.

For this distance, given the maximum acceptable margin of error of +/- 3°, which at 400 miles would be 20 miles course deviation, dead reckoning is more than adequate for navigation provided you account for magnetic deviation and variation. It would also be smart to subdivide such a course into two segments of 2° each, each with their own true courses. This is because most charts are distorted over long distances unless you are following a Rhumb Line.

It remains to be seen whether we will have plotting charts for intercepting the carrier, as I'm assuming we will be given a rendezvous point in lat long and a time frame in the mission briefing. The good news is the YE-ZB will be available, though this was apparently hard to use and very clunky, so we'll see.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Hey all! Good news, I did some digging and discovered the Leatherneck Corsair will have the time period appropriate ZB Mk III Homing system, which will guide you to the Essex class carrier they are also releasing.

In addition, I read that the marianas map will be 400x400 square kilometers, which at that latitude (13.4521° N, 144.7632° E for Guam) is roughly 4° of Latitude by 4° of longitude. This means that the maximum possible flight from one end of the map to another would be about 390 miles from one corner to another diagonally.

For this distance, given the maximum acceptable margin of error of +/- 3°, which at 400 miles would be 20 miles course deviation, dead reckoning is more than adequate for navigation provided you account for magnetic deviation and variation. It would also be smart to subdivide such a course into two segments of 2° each, each with their own true courses. This is because most charts are distorted over long distances unless you are following a Rhumb Line.

It remains to be seen whether we will have plotting charts for intercepting the carrier, as I'm assuming we will be given a rendezvous point in lat long and a time frame in the mission briefing. The good news is the YE-ZB will be available, though this was apparently hard to use and very clunky, so we'll see.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Will forward this here from the previous thread:

Dad was a V-12A Naval Aviator (Marine), who graduated at the very end of WWII/VJ as a Corsair Pilot.

On land, it was low-frequency radio range.

Around the boat, it was YE-ZB, pre-flight course plotting, and dead reckoning.

[EDIT]

YE-ZB.pdf

YE-ZB Presentation

Bowie

Edited by Bowie

They most definitely had Hayrake for use to find the boat but all naval aviators were taught to rely on good DR navigation skills due to the lack of reliability of anything electronic back in those days. :pilotfly:

Seems like.

YE-ZB.pdf

YE-ZB Presentation

Thanks/

Bowie

Edited by Bowie