Coms integration - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #11
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsane View Post
Hello, does it work on the F5E. and how do you get it going?
Yes, you open the 2D NS430 window using "LShift+LAlt+B", it gets power once the engine is running.

Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #12
HarryDeere41

Trying to use the com part in a MiG-15 - no chance to talk to the ATC. If anybody can help - it’s much appreciated!

Also, I can find no reference in the manual regarding communications.

Looks to me as the NS 430 (still) cannot be used for communication. Please comment.
HarryDeere41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDeere41 View Post
I can find no reference in the manual regarding communications.

Looks to me as the NS 430 (still) cannot be used for communication. Please comment.
Correct, it is not clear if the NS430 will ever act as a radio in DCS.

Currently you can't assign a "push to talk" radio button in the NS430's keybindings and it doesn't (can't ?) capture radio input/output from the host aircraft.

The radio part will act as a receiver i.e. you can hear ATC replies on VHF (if you disable squelch) or ILS VLOC ID's but neither VLOC CDI guidance or VHF radio transmission have ever worked.

The script files are encrypted, so there's unlikely to ever be a user created mod to fix the problems.

AFAIK there's no technical reason why the NS430 can't act as a separate radio (see Simple Radio) but it's unclear if there's any resources/desire to add the missing GNS430 features - IMHO it's likely ED will eventually change the NS430's description and cite "everything is subject to change" but who knows, multi-crew is suppose to be coming to the Huey after 7 years ?

Tested in DCS 2.5.6.52437

Last edited by Ramsay; 07-27-2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Test the current radio functionality to see if anything has changed. since release
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
Tippis

Similarly, it should be noted that the NS430 also can't act as a radio navigation tool in spite of what the description says, and for similar reasons it's unclear whether it ever will. It has most beacons pre-programmed as nav points that can be used for GPS routing, but the radio nav knob and flip-flop, much like radio part, does nothing in any aircraft.

The NS430 only ever works as a GPS receiver. I would have said “GPS navigation device” but unfortunately, the GPS navigation is also broken and has been for quite some time. Still, it tells you where you are and it has a map… of sorts. Regular means of navigation will let you get to where you're going from there.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote