install from dcs site or steam

Regarding Steam vs Standalone, check here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278074

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Some will say buy from DCS to support them but Steam deserve to be supported too especially if you got into DCS from Steam.

Benefit of buying from Steam is if you buy from DCS, you can't play them on Steam version. If you buy from Steam, you can play them on both versions.

ED doesn't need charity. Let capitalism take its course. If ED doesn't want to pay 20% or 30% to Steam, they can offer additional 10% off on their site.

Some will say buy from DCS to support them but Steam deserve to be supported too especially if you got into DCS from Steam.

Benefit of buying from Steam is if you buy from DCS, you can't play them on Steam version. If you buy from Steam, you can play them on both versions.

ED doesn't need charity. Let capitalism take its course. If ED doesn't want to pay 20% or 30% to Steam, they can offer additional 10% off on their site.

No chicken before the egg, so there would be no Steam before the developers deliver something. Steam only plays pass-through and hold up their hand on the way out.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

stable ver or beta version??

next question, stable or open beta ? is there a difference here? or can both be installed?

i seen some modules that say requires open beta 2.5.6 or higher.

obviously i'm just starting out. still waiting for GPU to finish my build.

hopefully be up an running by the weekend.

next question, stable or open beta ? is there a difference here? or can both be installed?

i seen some modules that say requires open beta 2.5.6 or higher.

obviously i'm just starting out. still waiting for GPU to finish my build.

hopefully be up an running by the weekend.

You can install both with "DCS Updater Utility"

Stable is kinda stable all the new sexy stuff is in open beta but is called open beta for a reason.

No chicken before the egg, so there would be no Steam before the developers deliver something. Steam only plays pass-through and hold up their hand on the way out.

Same has been said about agents, salesmen, headhunters, realtors... whenever "cutting out the middle man" is discussed.

Developers don't have to put them up on Steam. But they do because the hand Steam put up is worth the extra revenue.

Only plays pass-through??? Marketing is very costly and the most important aspect of any business. If it was easy, ED would do it themselves.

Edited by Taz1004

Same has been said about agents, salesmen, headhunters, realtors... whenever "cutting out the middle man" is discussed.

Developers don't have to put them up on Steam. But they do because the hand Steam put up is worth the extra revenue.

Only plays pass-through??? Marketing is very costly and the most important aspect of any business. If it was easy, ED would do it themselves.

You have a bit of a point but what bothers me a lot is that there are quite sometimes no alternatives. For DCS you have the choice, for 98% of the racing sims you have not, it's Steam or no race sim to play. Same goes for VR stuff. If you don't go Oculus, there's only Steam VR to make things work. They play pass through and at the same decide what you need to make things work. I still prefer to make my own choices...if i can!

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

You have a bit of a point but what bothers me a lot is that there are quite sometimes no alternatives. For DCS you have the choice, for 98% of the racing sims you have not, it's Steam or no race sim to play. Same goes for VR stuff. If you don't go Oculus, there's only Steam VR to make things work. They play pass through and at the same decide what you need to make things work. I still prefer to make my own choices...if i can!

That's same with Windows isn't it? If you want to play any type of simulation or resource heavy games, Windows is the only option with DirectX compatible hardwares. But that's not the fault of Microsoft. All they did was to make DirectX more accessible to developers. It's not MS's fault that Apple didn't do the same. Likewise, all Steam did was to open their platform to other VR hardwares so there would be one central platform. Otherwise, game developers will have to develop for every VR device with their own SDK. It's the developers who decide what you need to make things work. Steam only provides the means. In your example of racing sims, it's the 98% of the developers who "chose" to put their games on Steam only. Steam didn't force them. iRacing offers stand alone.

And Steam spend a lot of money on SteamVR and marketing. Donno why you keep saying it's Pass Through. Valve has extensive knowledge in VR and as you probably know, they helped with Reverb V2 development as well. Is Netflix just a pass through too?

I want VR to succeed and continue developing. And Steam and Valve played a huge part of it. More so in my opinion than Oculus and Facebook. Imagine where VR would be today without Steam.

Edited by Taz1004