The Rookie Thread - Page 23 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #221
dburne
Veteran

Yes indeed it certainly is!

Finally yesterday, after a week of hard training and practice, I managed to successfully take off, fly to specific waypoints, blow a few things up, and return and land safely.
I felt such joy and elation from being able to actually accomplish something this time, especially without crashing and burning!

I used Par_Bellum's tutorial on how to take off and blow things up, I screwed up on the first attempt, but second attempt seemed to get it right!
I guess now this will keep me coming back for more - going to practice the same tutorial at least couple more times...
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #222
astrospud

@d.burnette,
Parabellums tutorial is really very helpful. I have flown the mission at least 5 times, now; 2 times successfully
But, believe it or not, I still have trouble with the shooting range! Getting myself setup and trying to take out tanks that don't shoot back should be a doddle. The problem for me is, whenever I expend all remaining, by the time I get back to airfield and load up again, it's dark! I have noticed that it takes between 2 and 3 Vihkrs to kill one of these tanks. I am not too close to minimum range, AFAIK, and my Shkval reticle is locked and squared up with no ground in frame (if that makes sense). Is this normal?
BTW, I am not quite skilled up yet to use unguided rockets. Just can't quite line 'em up safely.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #223
dburne
Veteran

I have not given the shooting range a try yet, will run the tutorial a couple more times then venture out there and see how I do there.

Yeah - I am pretty wild with the unguided rockets right now myself, will definitely have to hone my skills some to be able to succesfully use those.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #224
dburne
Veteran

astropud = I have flown the mission couple more times - for me it takes two to kill a tank. And even then, it takes just a few seconds after the second hit for the tank to explode and be deemed a kill.

I have been somewhat successful now using the rockets on the infantry at the next waypoint after the tanks - however with the gun, I truly suck... have a lot of work to do to get anywhere near proficient with the gun.

I could be wrong but I don't think in this mission , if done properly, you should have to go back to the airfield to re-arm. But not for sure, as I have not exactly done it properly and got all the kills yet I don't think...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #225
GERY

As a Noob to this sim, having being first introduced to Helli Sims through my Tandy computer with Longbow one, this Sim is just awesome. It's some learning curve. Forum members' info is soooo needed. Thanks for all your help. :-)
GERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #226
astrospud

Gery, you are so right!

d.burnette: guns can be used in a similar setup to Vihkr. Approach for auto hover (you'll probably need to be closer than 1.5km from target), setup your Shkval, master arm, clear the gun trigger, oh, and don't forget to switch on turn to target (Q). Really helpful. Also, set HE rounds. Make sure the guns are not in fxed boresight position. They need to be able to track your targets.
I don't think you'll need laser on Standby for troops, only to rangefind to see if you're close enough - your HUD reticle should show this as well.

To any vets here, please correct me/enhace my explaination as required. I hate to stear anyone astray.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #227
dburne
Veteran

astropud - thanks for the tips!
I went ahead and went through the weapons deployment training mission again, and when I took control I was able to successful kill the remaining targets with my guns/cannon. Now that felt really good!

I love it when I can make progress, I feel like things are finally starting to come together - but I realize shooting at enemies that shoot back will be a whole different story, but I sure am starting to look forward to the challenge!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #228
dburne
Veteran

Ok so I have progressed to the shooting range mission, in order to maybe tune my shooting skills - but when I fly the waypoints, I cannot find any enemies to shoot... I am under the impression they should be somewhere in the area inside the box the waypoints form ( wp 2-3-4-5). I have used my zoom, I have used the shkval, and I cannot find a single enemy - not one.
I even turned labels on, and still cannot locate any. The briefing states there are a total of 35 targets.

What in the world am I missing here? I am sure it is something very simple that I am managing to miss...
Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #229
astrospud

The labels will not show. They are, for want of a better term, part of the landscape. They are static objects like rocks and buildings.
You will find the targets at WP 3, so as soon as you get to WP2, and turn to 3, initiate a hover, and set your Shkval to look a bit past WP 3. There will be a variety of bunkers, guard towers, tanks and, further on, trucks and BMPs. Check out page 2 of the mission breifing. It should show you approximately where they are.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #230
159th_Viper
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to 159th_Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burnette View Post
Ok so I have progressed to the shooting range mission, in order to maybe tune my shooting skills - but when I fly the waypoints, I cannot find any enemies to shoot... I am under the impression they should be somewhere in the area inside the box the waypoints form ( wp 2-3-4-5). I have used my zoom, I have used the shkval, and I cannot find a single enemy - not one.
I even turned labels on, and still cannot locate any. The briefing states there are a total of 35 targets.

What in the world am I missing here? I am sure it is something very simple that I am managing to miss...
The Mission-Builder, for reasons unknown, placed the Units as Static Objects instead of actual live Units (Reason might be to prevent the Units from Clubbing the Rookie).

One of the consequences of this is that the Units only 'appear' at close range which could explain your difficulty.

Another aspect of the mission on my install are that the Units are all but destroyed and according to the De-Brief Spawn as destroyed.......so you'd be better advised to Hone your skills elsewhere/on another mission - this one does not work too well.

In any event, Units are there.......Orientate yourself with the following screenies and search again

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....
One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'
'We came from the Sea..........And Tremble our Foes like a Storm on the Lee'
159th_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote