The Rookie Thread - Page 117 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #1161
Nevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkroyale048 View Post
^

I do believe the INU is fully engaged when the airspeed appears on your HUD. When you try to engage the auto hover without it; you will find that the auto pilot channels would suddenly switch off.

Didn't know that thanks.
Nevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #1162
Nevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper6 View Post
From what I understand, INU alignment is instantaneous(not modeled in DCS). The DNS(Doppler Navigation System) is what takes time to align. This controls readout on the HUD for airspeed, as well as your hover controls. If you do not wait the 3 minutes for this to align, you will not get airspeed readout in HUD. And your autopilot dampers will go haywire if you try to engage hover hold.

Reaper6

Thanks reaper, I have never read anything about a doppler, so this is helpful, I just thought it was the INU and that was it. Good stuff.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #1163
Nevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor9 View Post
Also same thing happens if you let your rotor RPM's drop down enough that your AC generators go offline, you'll lose your Doppler and will have to let it warm-up again.

Yeah this one took me a while to figure out, I kept forgetting to swtich on the AC generators, then when I remembered that I kept forgetting to put the throttle??? in Auto mode. But those days are long gone now, thank goodness, hehe.

Last edited by Nevyn; 04-05-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #1164
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper6 View Post
From what I understand, INU alignment is instantaneous(not modeled in DCS). The DNS(Doppler Navigation System) is what takes time to align. This controls readout on the HUD for airspeed, as well as your hover controls. If you do not wait the 3 minutes for this to align, you will not get airspeed readout in HUD. And your autopilot dampers will go haywire if you try to engage hover hold.
This!
Yurgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #1165
Reaper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
Thanks reaper, I have never read anything about a doppler, so this is helpful, I just thought it was the INU and that was it. Good stuff.
No problem. I believe the DNS is activated by the "NAV" switch on the right panel near IFF. So its probably a good idea to have this as one of the first switches you turn on.

Reaper6

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.
Reaper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #1166
Catastrophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor9 View Post
Also same thing happens if you let your rotor RPM's drop down enough that your AC generators go offline, you'll lose your Doppler and will have to let it warm-up again.

One interesting thing to note is that if you take-off before your Doppler is warmed up, you'll still have the airspeed ladder on the left side of the HUD. The digital speed readout in the top left corner of the HUD is actually your ground speed, which is why it is reliant on the Doppler to provide a readout. Try some strong winds in your mission, and you'll notice the disparity between the two readouts depending on what direction you're flying.
I never heard about the doppler - which switch is that?
Catastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:42 AM   #1167
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophy View Post
I never heard about the doppler - which switch is that?
If I'm not mistaken the Doppler Navigation System depends on the "ПНК ВКЛ – ОТКЛ" (Targeting Navigation system ON – OFF) switch on the aft section of the wall panel. There is no distinct switch for the Doppler Nav, though.
Yurgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #1168
Catastrophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
If I'm not mistaken the Doppler Navigation System depends on the "ПНК ВКЛ – ОТКЛ" (Targeting Navigation system ON – OFF) switch on the aft section of the wall panel. There is no distinct switch for the Doppler Nav, though.
Sometimes my HUD isn't complete and the ground speed is missing. Also my weapons and targetting and countermeasures.
It always happened when I tried out MP - I suspect it's a flaw in my startup sequence. Can it be that some systems need alternating current power for proper startup? I used external power as a first step in my latest try and everything seemed to start up fine.
Catastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #1169
Reaper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
I believe we are talking about the same switch. It is labeled as "NAV" in the cockpit. This switch does control DNS, you will notice when you switch this to on the HSI flags will turn off and the system begins to warm up.

Reaper6

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #1170
Reaper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophy View Post
Sometimes my HUD isn't complete and the ground speed is missing. Also my weapons and targetting and countermeasures.
It always happened when I tried out MP - I suspect it's a flaw in my startup sequence. Can it be that some systems need alternating current power for proper startup? I used external power as a first step in my latest try and everything seemed to start up fine.
These systems must have power from the GPU(Ground Power Unit) or from the Left/Right AC Generators. If you are supplying them power from AC Gen then your throttle must at least be in "Auto". And your engines must be running.

Reaper6