some help for an A-10 rookie? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Jason76

Default some help for an A-10 rookie?

I'm getting better at targetting and destroying enemy targets (though at 90% missile slidker setting, the Maverick seems to miss a lot). My main problem is that I am constantly gettin shot down by the Shilkas and/or the Strelas...

What's a good defensive strategy to avoid the low altitude shilkas and the higher altitude strelas? And what's the best strategy to avoid getting hit after a missile launch? As of right now, my strategy is to break turn, drop to lower alyitude, and repeatedly launch chaff and flares... it doesn't always work...
Jason76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Yellonet

When your Maverick misses are you sure you have a lock and launch authorizaition (flashing plus sign)?

Shilkas shouldn't be a problem unless you try to bomb it, if you use a maverick you should be able to stay out of it's range.
But if you are trying to bomb it, don't run straight for it but rather fly in an arch towards it, this makes you much more difficult to hit, only go straight the last few seconds to line up the sights.
Yellonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
cueceleches

Yes, whenever you have to attack a column, airbase, or whatever defended area, try first to blow up AA defences: shilkas, strelas, etc...always with mavericks if at all possible. Then, once those threats destroyed, strafe or bomb the remaining targets at ease.
cueceleches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Jason76

With regards to the Maverick... yeah, I only launch when the cross is flashing.. but it still seems to miss more than it should (am launching at maximum range and 90% missile effectiveness).
Jason76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
214th_bungle_uk

Another good tactic is to stay above 10000ft, this keeps you out of range of the shilka and the strella too I think, use mavs and ccrp to take out the air defences, then you can come in lower for strafing runs etc..

As for missile evasion, it depends on what range you have been fired on from. Generally though, the best tactic is to turn and run as fast as you can, pumping chaff and flare
Old 11-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
cueceleches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason76
but it still seems to miss more than it should (am launching at maximum range and 90% missile effectiveness).
Wow..that´s queer. I play with 50% efectiveness and hit 99% of my shots. So, definetly, there´s something wrong in your procedures...Maybe the fact of firing at max range??? I usually fire between 4 and 2 miles, depending on what I´m targeting. Also, depending on the type of mav I´m using: usually, for TV AGM, closer, and IR, thanks to better target ID and scene mag, longer shots.
cueceleches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Yellonet

Quote:
With regards to the Maverick... yeah, I only launch when the cross is flashing.. but it still seems to miss more than it should (am launching at maximum range and 90% missile effectiveness).
Strange... Some SAM systems have the capability to shoot the missiles down though.
Yellonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
GGTharos
Veteran

That would be because last I checked, the missile slider is messed up - it only works properly on 50% or 100% setting.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Gazehound

Quote:
What's a good defensive strategy to avoid the low altitude shilkas and the higher altitude strelas? And what's the best strategy to avoid getting hit after a missile launch? As of right now, my strategy is to break turn, drop to lower alyitude, and repeatedly launch chaff and flares... it doesn't always work...
Firstly avoid getting launched at - Kill them before they kill you, your maverics have much greater range. You need to be constantly scanning the area you can see for AA. Spot a strela, lock it up, throttle back to lower IR sig, shoot and leave low.
If a strela launches a missile at you, pull the throttle back to idle and pump out flares, forget chaff. The thing to consider is if to turn away or not, if you are too close it will still hit you and you will give it a hotter target as you will be low aspect.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
SUBS17
Veteran

Default A-10 SEAD

Ok this is an interesting topic so heres a few pointers on how to fight and win. Firstly approach at 10 000ft(unless theres enemy cap) as stated above. From this height you can attack most SAMs with AGM65Ds,(upto 7nm away)
I don't use any indication for MAV launch, just make sure the heat signature is in centre of the cross, it centres automatically(which indicates a lock).
Tungaska, strela1, igla, strela10 and shilka can all be hit by ccip at this altitude with cluster bombs Mk20 rockeyes and CBU97s. Unless theres a larger search radar or expert AI level then it has to be AGMs for strela 10. The trick is a good dive angle and early release followed by missile evasion manouvre. The manouvre is basically to roll inverted and pull back whilst popping 3-6 flares then 20 deg nose down break left or right away from the threat.(it will dodge most ground launched heatseekers)
BTW on expert ai tungaskas will shoot down incoming missiles using both cannon and missile. It can be defeated if you attack from 2 sides using a 2nd aircraft. The 30mm cannon also can be used to kill shilkas(it out ranges them, must fire at about 2nm to avoid getting hit), it was one of the design goals of the cannon. If you are in an area where a cap is operating then you have to fly low and use popup attack profile to take the shot and duck back down to low level. With v1.11 its even more fun with mountains.