2.5.0.14138.317: Multiplayer Server Crashes Every 5 mins, to almost 4 hours

Drexx

Project: DCS Open Beta 2.5.0.14138.317

Type: Bug

Reported: Older Versions were

Priority: Critical, Server Destroyer

Summary: Multiplayer server I know of is constantly crashing between 5mins to 4hours. No correlation to what is being done on the servers. Happening without anything linking to what is the cause yet

Description:

Multiplayer servers are constantly crashing between 5mins and 4 hours like clockwork. Throwing a transport.dll error over and over

Attachments(version 2.5.0.14138.317 Only!):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qey768zmvacb1cm/AAAmlS-BNP14CGU5PiEA9tX8a?dl=0

(I open a new forum every version this is happening to keep the confusion down, I also seperate the crash logs)

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

• ED Team

Closed the other thread, I will speak with a team member in the morning.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

no worries we will get there in the end. Strange as some servers have had no crashes, like the 104th.

wondering if it is something else in the scripts somewhere

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Just throwing darts out there. 1 thing I’ve noticed often is when you have multiple ground units traveling down a road and the lead vehicle is too slow they all get bunched up. If I force the lead vehicle to stop or rather even a lone vehicle. Then tell it to go again it will no longer follow the route assigned to the unit but go off into a random direction. So there is something wrong going on with the pathfinding. Maybe that is the source of the random crashes?

no worries we will get there in the end. Strange as some servers have had no crashes, like the 104th.

wondering if it is something else in the scripts somewhere

My server uses the FULL game engine (its really the only truely dynamic server out there, where the units spawn is completely around the base they belong to, you never know what your going to come across), unit you spawn you can control them toward other bases, and between every crahs and restart all the units come back exactly where they left off, servers like the 104th do not have these features.

So my system will test Eagle Dynamic's engine fully, and bugs that come out will be more than other servers if they do exist, I can explain how things work, my logs, all LUA commands that are run have a CMD: preceding them (except for a very few external commands),

example:

SCRIPTING: CMD: coalition.addStaticObject(0, {["x"] = coord.LLtoLO(44.684663764042, 37.759250723703).x, ["y"] = coord.LLtoLO(44.684663764042, 37.759250723703).z, ["category"] = "Fortifications",["country"] = "RUSSIA",["type"] = ".Command Center",["name"] = "Novorossiysk Logistics",["heading"] = 0,["shape_name"] = "ComCenter",["canCargo"] = false,})

the Commands built in say something, there just nto verbose, so I would see if they were causing it too.

so you can see EXACTLY what is run and when, I don't see the same cmd run when the crash happens which leads me to the crash being in the main system of the game and not anything to do with the script lua commands, My server has the most combat arms type gameplay (routine 5-15 unit platoons raiding bases thanks to blackfoxNZ), so if there are any bugs with the control/AI pathfinding, I would lean to it being in there.

There is one rather bluntly weird thing going on in all the logs, I think the red farps, next to a blue base(I do this to free up more parking spots at the bases) are firing off the base capture event when there is only 1 color unit there in the first place. so I am constantly getting massive amounts of capture events (which I ignore because they do not work right atm) all the time. This could be a completely different bug, I meant to report it with a simple mission showing this happening but I havent had the time atm.

example:

2018-02-09 19:02:56.176 INFO Scripting: event:type=base captured,initiator=Command post,place=Anapa-Vityazevo_Expansion,t=36040.05,initiatorMissionID=,

2018-02-09 19:02:56.176 INFO Scripting: event:type=base captured,initiator=Command post,place=Anapa-Vityazevo_Expansion #001,t=36040.05,initiatorMissionID=,

2018-02-09 19:02:56.176 INFO Scripting: event:type=base captured,initiator=Command post,place=Anapa-Vityazevo_Expansion #002,t=36040.05,initiatorMissionID=,

Why is a command post capturing farp pad bases?

I'll keep on testing though

Edited by Drexx

Here are some screenshots of what we is achievable on Drex's server. there is not any other server that can handle a moving unit and Drex's can handle 18 unit convoy flawlessly. take a look at the screenshots below and ask yourself and the ED team. do you not want to see more of this kind of game play?, Gameplay where CAS can support actual players on the ground and CAP can fight to keep them alive. Gameplay that takes Land,sea and Air and puts it all into on server where players are the cause of every little thing that happens, not AI that on has X amount of tasks/tactics it can use, Gameplay where everything a player does will effect the outcome, weather its if the convoy gets destroy or takes over a base. This is what Multiplayer is all about. This is what ED should be working on and helping Drex Because Drex is a true pioneer when it comes to all things multiplayer in DCS world so listen to him, work with him and one day DCS will become something great.

Cheers

BlackfoxNZ

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1278727911

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1263320208

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922545747621871443/8D4F2148F7EA4766CBC736BB348F9A392D7D6955/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922545747621872814/07C0699D8A1D221A3DCF21323C5FD1FA2A7902CC/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922545747621874710/2145B3A0284A5051A688B7FE6E45F5288801F38A/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922545747621875917/E5FC70AC2D3B6210E5A20A62C799E312B8F44D77/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922545747621877102/FE589D4496982ABE3EA2A887994941CD9BFFB3B8/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/922545747621878032/514C8184835A69FA39456F433F9668FDD4FF2207/

Edited by BlackFoxNZ

• ED Team
Here are some screenshots of what we is achievable on Drex's server. there is not any other server that can handle a moving unit and Drex's can handle 18 unit convoy flawlessly. take a look at the screenshots below and ask yourself and the ED team. do you not want to see more of this kind of game play?, Gameplay where CAS can support actual players on the ground and CAP can fight to keep them alive. Gameplay that takes Land,sea and Air and puts it all into on server where players are the cause of every little thing that happens, not AI that on has X amount of tasks/tactics it can use, Gameplay where everything a player does will effect the outcome, weather its if the convoy gets destroy or takes over a base. This is what Multiplayer is all about. This is what ED should be working on and helping Drex Because Drex is a true pioneer when it comes to all things multiplayer in DCS world so listen to him, work with him and one day DCS will become something great.

Cheers

BlackfoxNZ

Complex MP missions makes finding and fixing issues a lot harder.

As mentioned I will be talking with a team member in the morning.

Edited by BIGNEWY

• ED Team
Track of the most recent crash from my client side.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KNsn7blvK6mB7BkC3x70fRmqDLB8e0vL

Thanks for the track, it crashed my DCS before I could get it to play back :)

we will take a closer look in the morning, it is late this side of the world

Edited by BIGNEWY

Capture rules might have changed. But generally for FARP and airbases if it is "uncontested" without coalition ground objects near it, it will belong to its default coalition. Once a coalition ground object gets near it, that acts as an enforcement of ownership. I think it might have changed because it appears that if both red and blue get near it then will change coalitions to neutral instead of default. In previous testing it stayed with whomever "owned" it last.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Capture rules might have changed. But generally for FARP and airbases if it is "uncontested" without coalition ground objects near it, it will belong to its default coalition. Once a coalition ground object gets near it, that acts as an enforcement of ownership. I think it might have changed because it appears that if both red and blue get near it then will change coalitions to neutral instead of default. In previous testing it stayed with whomever "owned" it last.

Its very weird that a .CommandCenter static object is causing a farp pad to capture, I just wish I can turn off all that logic, it has to be using up resources

Thanks for the track, it crashed my DCS before I could get it to play back :)

we will take a closer look in the morning, it is late this side of the world

Hey BIGNEWY,

Been testing all night with all my server players. I even took the 104th Longbow mission file (from a track), copied the EXACT options file over to my mission, zipped the group up, changed .zip to .miz file loaded it up with everything locked down but allowed people to drive vehicles, just not control them in forward observer.

The transport.dll crashed again.

So I went to my template spawner code, and through 1 line set "["playerCanDrive"] = false" and loaded up the same mission( to not allow any players to first person drive any of the spawned units, which is every unit on my server). I have not saved this mission in the mission editor since I edited it, to make sure the options file is still left unchanged in the .miz group.

So far its been stable, no transport.dll crashes yet in 1 session (1 asyncNet.dll crash when 2 people left the server exactly the same time by pressing exit, but that is another bug ticket), SO

It has SOMETHING to do with people DRIVING the combat arms vehicles, maybe when they get destroyed while a player is in side, I dont know, I havent loaded a simple mission up yet to test all of this. (want this server setup to go on for a few sessions to prove that the transport.dll bug is gone not allowing anyone to physically drive the ground vehicles.)

Will be going to bed soon, wanted to update you on this. It does feel like some progress

-Drex

Edited by Drexx

• ED Team

Thanks Drexx

I will highlight this to the team, going to try and catch a team member today, but it is the weekend, most likely Monday. I will take a look at this myself now.

Have a good night

Edited by BIGNEWY

BIGNEWY, just to make sure, ED is also working on the asyncNet.dll crash? (Will also cause many crashes in future, with more players joining/leaving servers)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• ED Team
BIGNEWY, just to make sure, ED is also working on the asyncNet.dll crash? (Will also cause many crashes in future, with more players joining/leaving servers)

yes, they are looking into it, but keep it for another thread so we can focus here on the transport.dll

Project: DCS Open Beta 2.5.0.14138.317

Type: Bug

Reported: Older Versions were

Priority: Critical, Server Destroyer

Summary: Multiplayer server I know of is constantly crashing between 5mins to 4hours. No correlation to what is being done on the servers. Happening without anything linking to what is the cause yet

Description:

Multiplayer servers are constantly crashing between 5mins and 4 hours like clockwork. Throwing a transport.dll error over and over

Attachments(version 2.5.0.14138.317 Only!):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qey768zmvacb1cm/AAAmlS-BNP14CGU5PiEA9tX8a?dl=0

(I open a new forum every version this is happening to keep the confusion down, I also seperate the crash logs)

Thanks for opening a new thread.

I reported the crash information here - https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3389628&postcount=30

As it is happening in Blue Flag also since 2.5 was released and both hotfix1 & 2 did not solve it.

My server uses the FULL game engine (its really the only truely dynamic server out there, where the units spawn is completely around the base they belong to, you never know what your going to come across), unit you spawn you can control them toward other bases, and between every crahs and restart all the units come back exactly where they left off, servers like the 104th do not have these features.

So my system will test Eagle Dynamic's engine fully, and bugs that come out will be more than other servers if they do exist, I can explain how things work, my logs, all LUA commands that are run have a CMD: preceding them (except for a very few external commands),

example:

SCRIPTING: CMD: coalition.addStaticObject(0, {["x"] = coord.LLtoLO(44.684663764042, 37.759250723703).x, ["y"] = coord.LLtoLO(44.684663764042, 37.759250723703).z, ["category"] = "Fortifications",["country"] = "RUSSIA",["type"] = ".Command Center",["name"] = "Novorossiysk Logistics",["heading"] = 0,["shape_name"] = "ComCenter",["canCargo"] = false,})

the Commands built in say something, there just nto verbose, so I would see if they were causing it too.

so you can see EXACTLY what is run and when, I don't see the same cmd run when the crash happens which leads me to the crash being in the main system of the game and not anything to do with the script lua commands, My server has the most combat arms type gameplay (routine 5-15 unit platoons raiding bases thanks to blackfoxNZ), so if there are any bugs with the control/AI pathfinding, I would lean to it being in there.

There is one rather bluntly weird thing going on in all the logs, I think the red farps, next to a blue base(I do this to free up more parking spots at the bases) are firing off the base capture event when there is only 1 color unit there in the first place. so I am constantly getting massive amounts of capture events (which I ignore because they do not work right atm) all the time. This could be a completely different bug, I meant to report it with a simple mission showing this happening but I havent had the time atm.

example:

2018-02-09 19:02:56.176 INFO Scripting: event:type=base captured,initiator=Command post,place=Anapa-Vityazevo_Expansion,t=36040.05,initiatorMissionID=,

2018-02-09 19:02:56.176 INFO Scripting: event:type=base captured,initiator=Command post,place=Anapa-Vityazevo_Expansion #001,t=36040.05,initiatorMissionID=,

2018-02-09 19:02:56.176 INFO Scripting: event:type=base captured,initiator=Command post,place=Anapa-Vityazevo_Expansion #002,t=36040.05,initiatorMissionID=,

We also don't see the issue related to scripts, but rather to commanding of newly spawned units.

Hey BIGNEWY,

Been testing all night with all my server players. I even took the 104th Longbow mission file (from a track), copied the EXACT options file over to my mission, zipped the group up, changed .zip to .miz file loaded it up with everything locked down but allowed people to drive vehicles, just not control them in forward observer.

The transport.dll crashed again.

So I went to my template spawner code, and through 1 line set "["playerCanDrive"] = false" and loaded up the same mission( to not allow any players to first person drive any of the spawned units, which is every unit on my server). I have not saved this mission in the mission editor since I edited it, to make sure the options file is still left unchanged in the .miz group.

So far its been stable, no transport.dll crashes yet in 1 session (1 asyncNet.dll crash when 2 people left the server exactly the same time by pressing exit, but that is another bug ticket), SO

It has SOMETHING to do with people DRIVING the combat arms vehicles, maybe when they get destroyed while a player is in side, I dont know, I havent loaded a simple mission up yet to test all of this. (want this server setup to go on for a few sessions to prove that the transport.dll bug is gone not allowing anyone to physically drive the ground vehicles.)

Will be going to bed soon, wanted to update you on this. It does feel like some progress

-Drex

We have also tested in Blue Flag.

In Blue Flag we didn't use tactical commander but actually used forward observer to avoid people moving units around, I believe all other dynamic servers have done the same after we noticed that moving units in a large scale create lag.

We have noticed 2 issues thus far:

1. After units are spawned in, they are controlable although they are not supposed to be, this can be part of the issue or a whole other issue all together.

2. Spawned in static (Fortification) units (such as bunkers and barracks) are spawned in invisible.

This tells us that there might be issues with the spawn mechanism, maybe the transport.dll issue is related to the first issue I mentioned.

Edited by xcom

• ED Team

guys dont post off topic, this is a bug thread.

thanks

• ED Team

Spent some time tonight in combined arms which were dynamically spawned but could not reproduce a crash.

I will be chatting with a team member on Monday.

Okay so there is a trend it crashes consistently after an aircraft is shot down? It doesn't happen every time but when it does crash it happens a few seconds after an aircraft is shot down. here is the latest track. you will notice a mig21 shoots down an f15 and then a crash. on an earlier session I watched an f15 shoot down an su27 and the server crashed.

DynamicCaucasus_1.00.25_257_TRYTHIS-20180210-171931.trk

Edited by Skarp

We've had three hours with CA doing all the things I can think of with an artillery commander and 4 players without the transport.dll crash since hotfix2. Units we are using are all dynamically spawned, moving, shooting, lasing. Prior to the last update it was crashing very often.

But I wonder, if multiple commanders can cause this? Will report to the thread if we can reproduce

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• ED Team
We've had three hours with CA doing all the things I can think of with an artillery commander and 4 players without the transport.dll crash since hotfix2. Units we are using are all dynamically spawned, moving, shooting, lasing. Prior to the last update it was crashing very often.

But I wonder, if multiple commanders can cause this? Will report to the thread if we can reproduce

l was testing earlier with 3 clients all as commanders, I could not create the crash unfortunately.

so I kept my server on lockdown all night, no controlling units or driving them (using ["playerCanDrive"] = false), it still crashed on transport.dll , so I am trying other things, will let you know if I find anything definitive,

If this helps, when the crash happens, the timer on the server stops counting up, a good 4-5 secs passes then the crash dialog and everything comes up, this could be the physical halting of the runtime though.

Latest test, all wind, turbulence, and clouds are turned off, IM just shooting in the dark atm. I al also setting up a single player mission with tons of AI attacking themselves, Will also host this as a multiplayer instance, see if someone getting shot or crashing makes it happen

So far nothing I have done has physically stopped this crash form happening, I know people on 104th that are also going through crashing too, so 104th is not 100% stable like some people believe, too bad that is a dead end since its a black hole of communication so far.