quick-mission dogfight why a russian spitfire?

i understand, ED is a russian developer,...but why do i have to jump into a russian spitfire, stare at a red star on the wings isntead of the roundel, listen to russian atc?sure, the russian had very view spitfires as well,...but this aircraft is a masterpiece of english engineering. its probably the most iconic aircraft of ww2, and sure associated with the BRITISH royal airforce.

i know, its not really important,....but would love to have a british spitfire in the quick-missions.

Yea, its a bit weird. I think everyone thinks Royal Air Force whenever the name Spitfire cames up in a conversation.

But it really doesn't matter, It is very easy to fix it. I takes less than a 1 minute on the mission editor.

New Mission, change the factions so UK and Germany are enemies, add the planes, Save overwriting the one in quick missions and voila. You're flying a RAF spifire. And it will always be available on Quick Missions.

*Added: Save a copy because it may be overwritten on future pathces

Edited by harm_

If you go into mission editor and then select Create a new mission it should give you options to set red Vs blue sides.

Just put UK and Germany in oposite colors.

If you can wait until tomorrow I can create the mission for you when I arrive home after work.

Edited by harm_

On the subject of the dogfight quick mission, I did manage to create the same with the 109 K4's as the opposition which leads me to wonder if the K4 is immune from death, on the stock mission I can predict the outcome of the fight as 2 dead 190's and 50/50 chance of my wingman surviving if I can rescue him in time, but under the same conditions I just cannot kill the 109's despite making plenty of good hits and having both smoking black smoke, eventually I run out of ammo and boil my engine, they are as expected a much tougher opponent in the turn fight but they seem to be made of indestructanium.

On the subject of the dogfight quick mission, I did manage to create the same with the 109 K4's as the opposition which leads me to wonder if the K4 is immune from death, on the stock mission I can predict the outcome of the fight as 2 dead 190's and 50/50 chance of my wingman surviving if I can rescue him in time, but under the same conditions I just cannot kill the 109's despite making plenty of good hits and having both smoking black smoke, eventually I run out of ammo and boil my engine, they are as expected a much tougher opponent in the turn fight but they seem to be made of indestructanium.

You need to hit them on the correct spot, save ammo, try to hit and use your 20mm Cannons

If you hit them correctly, you either snipe the pilot, shoot of his tail or one of his wings

I also suggest you to fire guns and cannons seperatly, not both at the same time

Also try not to be too close due to the guns and cannons are far out on the wing

I made a video, where you can see that i'm using short bursts with the canons on the bf 109

and on the second one, i'm using my .303 and that's why he only started smoking

I love having the roundels on the wings ... because I love helping people ... I do my best helping 109 guys by providing them nice bullseyes to aim at ...:lol:

It is Spitfire dude, 100% british (tea & biscuits included!). Just for the same reason why I see a red star when I think in a Mig.

Think in a C101 ... the first marking you think about is the spanish one despite Chile being another user of it, or an F14...

welcome to dcs ai fm bongo

generally you can knock out an ai faster by shooting off a wing than going for fuselage hits. smoke/fuel trails mean nothing.

it's not so much the FM, I'm fairly happy turning with 2 109's on my own, I'm just amazed that the outcome never changes despite me knocking chunks like rudders and elevators off both 109's and they are smoking like chimneys, they perform like factory fresh, I think something needs changing with the damage model.

Why not Russian Spit? They had a bunch of them, and anyway, aren't we still flying in a Russia map? :lol:

S!

+1 :music_whistling:

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

it's not so much the FM, I'm fairly happy turning with 2 109's on my own, I'm just amazed that the outcome never changes despite me knocking chunks like rudders and elevators off both 109's and they are smoking like chimneys, they perform like factory fresh, I think something needs changing with the damage model.

yeah, the smoke does not mean anything for the AI. you will either have to kill the pilot, set them on fire, or shoot off his wings/ slice the fuselage into two...

ED is currently working on a new damage model, so hopefully we will see improvements soon...

still, if you hit the AI with short well aimed bursts, it usually goes down really quickly.

• ED Team
i understand, ED is a russian developer,...but why do i have to jump into a russian spitfire, stare at a red star on the wings isntead of the roundel, listen to russian atc?sure, the russian had very view spitfires as well,...but this aircraft is a masterpiece of english engineering. its probably the most iconic aircraft of ww2, and sure associated with the BRITISH royal airforce.

i know, its not really important,....but would love to have a british spitfire in the quick-missions.

The fact that in the USSR Black Sea Fleet naval aviation was armed with a number of Spitfire V and IX. They fought in this region exactly.

1356665172_Spitfire387.jpg

Edited by Chizh
  • Like 1

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Spitfire IX

Soviet Union got 1185 Spitfire IX fighters - almost all were LF IX version and only two were HF IX.

First 6 Spitfires of that type arrived to Basra on April 5th, 1944 aboard s/s "City of Eastborn". Initially planes sent to Soviets were after general repairs but later planes were straight from factory.

Most planes (825) were sent to PVO units. In summer 1944 Spits LF IXC/E were assigned to 26 and 27 GIAP near Leningrad, 16 and 177 IAP PVO near Moscow, 767 IAP near Murmansk and several others.

One Spitfire HF IX was assigned to 16 IAP PVO, where Russian called it "Spitfire 9G"

There is no reports about combat use of Spitfire IX in Russian service.

http://soviethammer.blogspot.ca/2015/03/british-aircraft-in-russian-service.html

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understood the PVO units were dedicated local air defence units - true interceptor units. Which given the Spitfires heritage and limited radius of action makes sense. As you say it's capability at higher altitudes makes it an ideal interceptor of German bombers flying at 10,00ft plus. However...

By the time the Mk.IXs came into service in the PVO, German air offensive operations were limited to tactical actions, very little was going on strategically by day. This combined with the fact that the frontlines were some 100+ km to the west of their bases accounts for the complete lack of action regards their use of Mk.IXs.

It would however have freed up Russian airframes (Yaks 1b, 3 & 9, La5/7) which were far better suited to the low level nature of air-ops on the eastern frontline. 1000 airframes freed for the frontline? Suddenly makes a bit more sense...