Does the F18's prepurchase affect the F14s EA?

OnlyforDCS

Thanks for the insight and news Cobra!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks Cobra. That was very nice to read!

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Starting to have "feelings" towards cobra... well... hopes my wife dont read this.

thanks for the insight.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Our only concern currently is to bring the Tomcat to a level where we're proud of it and would feel no shame in releasing it to the public. I'm sure that once we're ready to go live, we'll be discussing appropriate spacings to other releases with Eagle Dynamics. I'm also sure that they will meet us with professionalism and work with us to make sure both aircraft get smooth rollouts.

I'd like to reiterate that we hope to make the Tomcat a very solid, robust and complete launch, with as little missing features as possible. We're also breaking a lot of new ground (in all departments) with the F-14, so it's important that we get it right.

It's honestly not long now until both the F-18 and the F-14 take to the sky together in DCS. Focus on that for now! 2018 is going to be awesome!

Thats a very, how do I put this, tactful reply. I wasn't asking for a release date, or anything like it, it was a very straighforward question but thanks for the reply anway. From it I can infer any number of things but Ill refrain from doing that as it will probably only lead to further dissapointment on my part. Good luck to you and hopefully you can get the Tomcat into our grubby little hands sooner rather than later. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thats a very, how do I put this, tactful reply. I wasn't asking for a release date, or anything like it, it was a very straighforward question but thanks for the reply anway. From it I can infer any number of things but Ill refrain from doing that as it will probably only lead to further dissapointment on my part. Good luck to you and hopefully you can get the Tomcat into our grubby little hands sooner rather than later. :thumbup:

I'll be a bit more blunt then :)

We haven't discussed release with Eagle Dynamics because we do not have a release candidate build of the F-14 ready yet.

When we do, only then will the "Does the F-18 impact the F-14's release date" question become relevant, if at all. (Depending on when we consider ourselves ready to release)

Thus, don't worry about the Hornet. The only blockade to the Tomcat's release at present are our own quality standards and incomplete development status.

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 3

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

We haven't discussed release with Eagle Dynamics because we do not have a release candidate build of the F-14 ready yet.

When we do, only then will the "Does the F-18 impact the F-14's release date" question become relevant, if at all. (Depending on when we consider ourselves ready to release)

Thus, don't worry about the Hornet. The only blockade to the Tomcat's release at present are our own quality standards and incomplete development status.

Well put Cobra. It's kind of annoying constantly seeing people saying "when's it coming out? When's it coming out?" X 1000. People need to just understand that the devs will release their products whenever they want and the choice to release early or to take extra time to get the job done right is completely vested to the developer; not to the cries of fans.

• Like 1

Great stuff, thanks again! :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thanks Nick!

While a lot of people only want to hear what they want to hear..I think the majority appreciate a no bullcrap statement like this.

Thank you for being a model of developer integrity.

Appreciate the bluntness! :thumbup:

Still have not gotten a reply from you Cobra regarding my facebook post and whether you have a PayPal acount so I can send you my money directly?

All I was asking for in return was to have the first production builds off of the download assembly line!!!!:thumbup::pilotfly:

As always Cobra thanks for the updates and the bluntness :D

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

That's pretty pessimistic.....I certainly expect it well before that.

-Nick

hey Nick,

Back in May 2015, you were very optimistic about 2016 launch of the Tomcat as well and trashed me when I said that I expect it in 2017 (see, even I was too optimistic)

DCS: MiG-21 took about 18 months to complete, with the discarding of the FC3 version of the MiG-21 and starting over with the code base (90% new code).

The Tomcat was started about 18 months ago and finishing in 2016 would mean a development time that is nearly twice as long as the MiG-21 - with a LNS team that is 3x the size of the one that did the MiG-21. No one knows when it will be done, but claiming it will be another 2 years seems a bit extreme - IMHO.

-Nick

the discussion page here :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2585598&highlight=2017#post2585598

Ouch, was it already that long in development? Time really flies..

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

hey Nick,

Back in May 2015, you were very optimistic about 2016 launch of the Tomcat as well and trashed me when I said that I expect it in 2017 (see, even I was too optimistic)

By all means..let's bring up stuff from over two years ago and pretend like it's relevant right now.

No need to dig through the past. So much has happened in the meantime, priorities changed, the studio split up into two developers etc. etc.

A straightforward question was asked and answered very much to my satisfaction by both the developer and a poster who is very intimately involved with testing the module. (I very much doubt he was a tester back in 2015, but please correct me if Im wrong)

hey Nick,

That was before I was flying the module everyday.... :)

It could take longer than I expect, but I'm giving my perspective based on the product in front of me.

-Nick

That was before I was flying the module everyday.... :)

It could take longer than I expect, but I'm giving my perspective based on the product in front of me.

-Nick

So it was indeed 2017 release... to you lucky man! I’ll keep itching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey Nick,

They scrapped a lot of their visuals thanks to laser scanning (stupid laser, what has it ever done for us).

So I think that set them back on an order of months, plus the crowded release schedule, plus Jester and its improvements, plus getting the flight model right.

There's a lot of places where the delays look to have piled up, but at least it looks like we're getting closer to a finished product than pure early-access.

They scrapped a lot of their visuals thanks to laser scanning (stupid laser, what has it ever done for us).

So I think that set them back on an order of months, plus the crowded release schedule, plus Jester and its improvements, plus getting the flight model right.

There's a lot of places where the delays look to have piled up, but at least it looks like we're getting closer to a finished product than pure early-access.

Actually I believe they said they scrapped *all* of the visual assets (3d models, artwork, etc). The only things that were retained were the TCS pod we were shown and the individual cockpit panels (the ACM panel, front pit VSD , etc). They did this after visiting several museum Tomcats with a laser scanner and found they could realistically take it all to the next level (or crank it up to 11 as Spinaltap would say)..so they did.