Functional tailhook

macrossMX

Will there be plans to make the tailhook functional?

I know it is a silly question, but the USAF does have a tailhook that is functional for all their planes (including the never to be DCS-flyable F-22) for the purpose of emergency landings in case of hydraulic failures.

Also Belsim has no problem adding this insignificant piece as functional on the F-5 for the sake of being authentic, so I am curious if ED is planning to make the hook functional.

If only ED modeled the BAK-12 or similar systems.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The F-15C and F-5E-3 have them, both used for making field landings using arrestor cables (NOT for carrier landings/recoveries) so I don't see why not, especially if we get field arresting cables in the future (it has been posted on the wishlist a few times, nothing yet though).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Without the arrestors what is he point of having the tailhooks modeled?

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Maybe when they get the new damage model in for ALL aircraft, they can model what would happen to the F15's/F16's etc, if they were to use those tailhooks in a carrier landing.

IIRC landing on aircraft carriers in the F-5E or F-15 caused quite an amount of damage, haven't tested in a while though

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

etc, if they were to use those tailhooks in a carrier landing.

The idea of the hooks within the air force is not stopping an aircraft at full touchdown speed like it is at carrier ops… it is used for stop it at the end of the runway if nothing else works and no other arresting device is available, normally far below 170kts an F-16 has at touchdown…

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

I understand that fully. My comment was for those wondering and want to test it out, that they could then see WHY you should not land AF birds on carriers just because they have a hook. It is why I used "THEY" in my original statement. ;)

• 1 month later...

Someone on the forum here iirc did the math and showed that the tail hook would stop the plane just fine for an abrupt stop. That doesn't mean the airframe will survive it or the gear will not collapse cause the f-16 has some thin gear struts, maybe if you greased the landing it might not collapse, but that sucker would be in a depot level maintenance for shure!

• 2 months later...
so has there been any mention from ED as to whether they will implement the arrestor system at certain runways. I assume Nevada would be the place to start with that?

It would be nice, but I believe ED has said no more features to NTTR. :(

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

+1 for the tailhook!

padal_lso.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Out of all the things the F-16 needs in order to be a complete, mission ready module, I can't say that the tailhook (that DCS's current land based runways don't support) should be very high on the list.

When they do implement it, I would hope that any attempt to land a F-16 on a carrier with said hook would result in a airplane with a wrecked undercarriage and potential airframe damage.