HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Tried all sorts. It’s the dynamic range and contrast that’s missing, not brightness. It’s obvious straight from the DCS loading screens!

Gamma not only alters brightness, it also alters the dynamic range as perceived by the eye. I never use over 1.8 and usually 1.7 - 1.6 depending on mission, as above that, I always found the Rift to look washed out with dull colours. Same with the Reverb.

I really have not noticed any real difference between Rift and Reverb so far. Then again.. individual results may vary.

Other thing... my missions are usually either at night, sunset or sunrise. Never at midday.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I think I can see why my ground Taxy experience is suffering but want to make sure.

When Steam VR comes online with the small panel and I hit the hamburger and go to settings, it shows reprojection, just above motion smoothing as "On".

Is this not the case, do I have to manually input the line in the thread detailing switching it on to actually switch it on?

It has to be said, I like the Reverb, but I hate the software it needs.

While I am here, if you are tempted to update to 1903, be aware that the stupid bug is back, the one that makes apps disappear from the start menu. To run DCS I had to make a shortcut on the desktop to the actual DCS folder. No idea yet how to run a repair.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Ladies and gentleman, The HP Reverb has arrived in the EU! My Reverb is now handed over to the mailcompany in my country! Whoaa... waiting for the mailman! :D Hope he has a turbo in his car! :D Sorry, just like a little kid, can't wait! :D

I saw the posts about Native resolution. Wags mentioned that he send the loaner headset reverb to Moscow. He mentioned too that ED implement the native resolution in DCS, so no worries it just take some time. :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Gamma not only alters brightness, it also alters the dynamic range as perceived by the eye. I never use over 1.8 and usually 1.7 - 1.6 depending on mission, as above that, I always found the Rift to look washed out with dull colours. Same with the Reverb.

Yes, that is true. It does have an effect on mid-range colours as well.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So I have had my reverb for a few days now having upgraded from the Rift. Just to say it is streets ahead of the Rift in clarity and sweet spot. All these issues reviewers are reporting with Mura etc I just can't see it. It is good enough to do normal desktop work on as the resolution is so high and I can't see any screen doors. Blacks are also fine. One important point though, if you don't have perfect vision you must correct your vision for distance. The optics are set to infinity but this will work only on the very centre of your natural eye lens and you will lose peripheral clarity (ie much smaller sweet spot). Forget glasses use contact lenses.

Edited by drsam

9900K @ 5GHz, 16Gb DDR4 @ 4000Mhz C17, Samsung 970 Pro M2 x 2, GTX Titan X (Pascal), EVGA 1000w PSU, HP Reverb pro.

So I have had my reverb for a few days now having upgraded from the Rift. Just to say it is streets ahead of the Rift in clarity and sweet spot. All these issues reviewers are reporting with Mura etc I just can't see it. It is good enough to do normal desktop work on as the resolution is so high and I can't see any screen doors. Blacks are also fine. One important point though, if you don't have perfect vision you must correct your vision for distance. The optics are set to infinity but this will work only on the very centre of your natural eye lens and you will lose peripheral clarity (ie much smaller sweet spot). Forget glasses use contact lenses.

Hi which is your IPD, thank you :)

One important point though, if you don't have perfect vision you must correct your vision for distance. The optics are set to infinity but this will work only on the very centre of your natural eye lens and you will lose peripheral clarity (ie much smaller sweet spot). Forget glasses use contact lenses.

Interesting you should say that. Did you read that somewhere or just say from experience?

I am fairly short sighted, and with the Rift and the Vive Pro, I had to use my glasses, but one of the first things I noticed when I got the Reverb, was that the image was blurred with my glasses on, and sharp without!

So, your theory appears to be correct!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hopefully soon there will be prescription lens snap on adapters for the reverb. I got ones from here for my Odyssey and they are great.

https://widmovr.com/

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Hopefully soon there will be prescription lens snap on adapters for the reverb. I got ones from here for my Odyssey and they are great.

https://widmovr.com/

Yes, I've contacted them. Let's hope they are aware of how the Reverb is different to the Vive/Rift in terms of focal length and focus distance.

Yes, I've contacted them. Let's hope they are aware of how the Reverb is different to the Vive/Rift in terms of focal length and focus distance.
Yea you have a point there. Sometimes I forget I still have contacts on and I put the Odyssey on my head with the lens adapters on and I can't tell a difference. But if I put my glasses on while I still have the contacts in, of course things are blurry. Funny because the prescription I gave to widmovr is for my glasses I think.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yea you have a point there. Sometimes I forget I still have contacts on and I put the Odyssey on my head with the lens adapters on and I can't tell a difference. But if I put my glasses on while I still have the contacts in, of course things are blurry. Funny because the prescription I gave to widmovr is for my glasses I think.

Interesting. So, what are you supposed to have on? Just the lens adaptors? Why use them at all if you have contacts? Are they not enough? Bit confused!

not the vr headsets

there is not an issue with all the new VR devices the problem lies with DCS nothing ever finished a pile of rubbish is just that rubbish no point trying to convince yourself it the headsets . why purchase something thats never going to be complete KA50 how much revenue has that brought to the table and still a half done deal no one to blame but yourself for being lead along that path. spend tens of thousands on you rig wont make and difference , how many plains this year and how many to go who know but I bet 0 will ever be completed .

I really have not noticed any real difference between Rift and Reverb so far. Then again.. individual results may vary.

Other thing... my missions are usually either at night, sunset or sunrise. Never at midday.

actually I have reshade installed in my setup (makes a huge difference in the 2d game) - it can be enabled/disabled easily with the f5 key - it does load up in the menu's for DCS when I paly in VR- but not sure if it loads or has any effect on fps or visuals when using it with a reverb...………………?

Interesting. So, what are you supposed to have on? Just the lens adaptors? Why use them at all if you have contacts? Are they not enough? Bit confused!
Well I wear my contacts at work and I'm a software engineer so I work on a pc all day. When I get home my contacts are dry so I like to take them out as soon as I get home. So the lens adapters stay in the Odyssey in case I want to fly later in the day. Either one will work fine I just found it odd that one time I still had contacts in and the lens adapters were in the Odyssey but I wasn't seeing blurry or double vision the same as I would if I would have forgotten to take my contacts out and put on my glasses.

Well I wear my contacts at work and I'm a software engineer so I work on a pc all day. When I get home my contacts are dry so I like to take them out as soon as I get home. So the lens adapters stay in the Odyssey in case I want to fly later in the day. Either one will work fine I just found it odd that one time I still had contacts in and the lens adapters were in the Odyssey but I wasn't seeing blurry or double vision the same as I would if I would have forgotten to take my contacts out and put on my glasses.

Hmm, that is interesting. I wonder if anyone can shine a bit of light on that.

So I just ordered one from the official HP store. 6KP43EA#ABB. It is going to replace my VIVE. It should arive arround 25-6 just in time for my holiday. :thumbup:

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

I think I can see why my ground Taxy experience is suffering but want to make sure.

When Steam VR comes online with the small panel and I hit the hamburger and go to settings, it shows reprojection, just above motion smoothing as "On".

Is this not the case, do I have to manually input the line in the thread detailing switching it on to actually switch it on?

It has to be said, I like the Reverb, but I hate the software it needs.

While I am here, if you are tempted to update to 1903, be aware that the stupid bug is back, the one that makes apps disappear from the start menu. To run DCS I had to make a shortcut on the desktop to the actual DCS folder. No idea yet how to run a repair.

Just like with the native resolution, WMR is also fairly confusing when it comes to the forms of reprojection it uses. Here's my findings (I'll do a copy/paste rather than offsite link, as I think that is politer here and I've already type it :) ) :

"If a game can reach around 55 to 60 fps the WMR with the default.vrsettings set to ‘auto’ will use something called ‘motion temporal reprojection’, which is the Microsoft clone of ‘Async Space Warp’ (ASW) on the Oculus side. It looks ahead/behind frames with GPU geometry to work out an in-between frame that’s pretty convincing. This allows the trees to appear smooth at 90 Hz in the headset, but DCS needs to reach about 60 fps.

If a game only reaches about 45 fps or less then WMR falls back to ‘asynchronous rotional reprojection’, which is what the old ‘Async Time Warp’ (ATW) used to be on Oculus, i.e. ok for moving your head around, but bad at predicting things moving outside the cockpit. When you see the cockpit moving ok but the trees to the side ‘jumping’ in WMR then it’s using reprojection but falling back to what it can do.

I didn’t realize before why it falls back to the older algorithm like that, but does explain what people see.

It’s also why DCS will just stick at 45 fps even if motion reprojection is not set to ‘auto’ in that config file or everything is left as defaults - it’s because it defaults to the old ‘asynch rotational reprojection’ by default unless the ASW equivalent is enabled or the app is reaching 90 fps.

It will be interesting if the DCS VR optimizations allow more people to get to 60 fps with more settings maxed out. In my experiments with the WMR reprojection, the ‘motion temporal reprojection’ is very good, i.e. very smooth sideways trees.

REF: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps 2

Oh, plus should say. You can turn things on and off in the SteamVR settings stuff for the Valve ‘motion reprojection’ and all those things, then it’ll be completely ignored by the WMR headset. If you see any difference using those settings then it must be a placebo, as the reprojection steps only happen on the Microsoft driver side using its own rules/steps mentioned above I believe.

I think the resolution / super sampling percentage value is probably the only setting from SteamVR that is read, everything else is probably on the Windows WMR side of things.

It seems the best ‘tuning’ algorithm for WMR and using reprojection in DCS would be:

Go to the default.vsettings file and comment out (using //) the motion line, i.e. turn it OFF.

Test DCS with your settings. Adjust them so you get to 55 to 60 fps with the resolution / super sampling you want.

Go back to default.vrsettings and uncomment the line (remove the //) so it says “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”, in there.

That way you’ll get smooth tree sideways and reprojection working properly. The things I didn’t realize before were:

WMR always has some form of motion reprojection on, it’s just the simpler ‘rotational’ type (where looking sideways causes judders for example) if it can’t make some headroom over 45 fps (it seems typically you need 55 to 60 fps to be safe).

The fancy ‘motion vector’ reprojection is very good, but needs to be turned on in that file. Once on then you’re only ever going to see either 45 or 90 in the fps read-out. Turning it off is useful to adjust detail settings.

WMR is like archaeology on how it works underneath. I half expect to find a stick of a certain length that’s going to refract the sun’s rays over a temple map through a jewel, so we can find out how to do nicer anti aliasing one day…;) "

Windows is just installing an update to 1903 on my PC. I wonder if the 'WMR bug' will be fixed.

How will we know?

Is this relevant from the KB page?

'This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 18362.1020) released June 11, 2019.'

Don't know what Hololens is!

I just got the Reverb two hours ago and setup was basically plugging it in and making one adjustment on the video resolution from my Lenovo Explorer in SteamVR. The clarity and performance on my setup is very good with the way I have the settings. I can read everything inside the cockpit now but also can spot planes a lot better at a distance which I was just testing. The SDE is basically gone although if you really concentrate you can barely make out the very tiny pixels. My sweet spot also took a big jump but my IPD is 64 mm but I am actually using glasses which are working fine. I am very slightly near-sighted with the minimum prescription and am very close to not needing glasses at all. I also thought the audio is very good.

The only complaint I have at the moment is the heavy cable. I routed it around the back over a home theater recliner seat I use and then I forgot about it. A few zip ties might help too. I can't see any mura - even looking at a white screen.

I am curious on folks are handling that cable. The cable seems longer than my Lenovo Explorer.

:thumbup:

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Windows is just installing an update to 1903 on my PC. I wonder if the 'WMR bug' will be fixed.

How will we know?

Ideally it would be in the Microsoft KB release notes, but who am I kidding :)

One way to tell would be to edit your config file here:

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

..and set motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled to true (just uncomment the line) and motionReprojectionMode to auto.

When you start a game you'll get a small square in the top left, which indicates if the reprojection is working or not.

The way to tell if the renderTargetScale 'not being read as 2.0' bug is fixed or not is to edit that renderTargetScale value to '1.0' and go look at the square. Now restart SteamVR / WMR (restart both if you ever change anything in that file, it's only read at start-up) and set it back to '2.0' again. Did the square appear smaller and more to the top left or not when using 2.0 vs 1.0?

If it did then this is fixed, if the 2.0 looked like the same size/position as 1.0 then it's not. It's a good illustration of what is being limited, as it shows the underlying resolution is smaller if not fixed.