Tgp and atflir

Flightsimnerd

They are different pods, with slightly different capabilities. The main differences is that the ATFLIR is more suited for Navy use, because it's supposed to be more rugged. It also comes with a dedicated NAVFLIR module and higher magnification (iirc). Apart from these, the two pods are very similar and I doubt that we'd notice much of a difference in the cockpit.

In reality, the choice of the pods was mainly due to financial and maintenance reasons.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Also, ATFLIR got rated for carrier landings, Litening didn't. I guess they have to make sure it won't go flying off when the plane hits the deck and they never bothered to do such certification with the Litening.

Thats not true. LITENING can be used also for carrier landings, its not a problem.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

Back in the late 90s/early 00s NAVFLIR was a separate pod from the ATFLIR. One mounted on the left underside and the other on the right underside fuselage. Have they combined the two since?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Litening pod mounts on the centerline. Every time you do a cat shot the grease accumaltes on the belly. You should see the underside of a drop tank after 14 days. A litening pod would be useless.

Lucky for us we get a brand new jet every time we login!

Would it be possible to mount both tgp types and watch both (alternatily) on the mfcd? Even if that sounds completely stupid...

At least does the aircraft has some limitation like only accept one video source?

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

Litening pod mounts on the centerline. Every time you do a cat shot the grease accumaltes on the belly. You should see the underside of a drop tank after 14 days. A litening pod would be useless.

this is also not true. It can be mounted on the cheek stations and wing pylons. Wags even said this capability is coming.

Jeez there's a lot of mis-information about this.

Would it be possible to mount both tgp types and watch both (alternatily) on the mfcd? Even if that sounds completely stupid...

At least does the aircraft has some limitation like only accept one video source?

Interesting question. I would like to know as well.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Highly doubt this is at all possible. Why would you want to anyway? If you’ve got ATFLIR doesn’t it have a separate sensor to display NAVFLIR imagery to the HUD and normal TGT FLIR to an MFD....

Highly doubt this is at all possible. Why would you want to anyway? If you’ve got ATFLIR doesn’t it have a separate sensor to display NAVFLIR imagery to the HUD and normal TGT FLIR to an MFD....

Well, can't speak for him, but I don't want to actually do that. I just want to know if that would be possible to better understand the tech behind it.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, can't speak for him, but I don't want to actually do that. I just want to know if that would be possible to better understand the tech behind it.

Ok yeah. I would imagine that everything from wiring to databus, avionics programming, computing power etc would prevent it. Don’t know any details though, just guessing.

It's not about asking if usefull, or why do it, just to know if technically its possible and if that could work.

(On the A10C i dont remember if we can have one tgp on each wing and how it works in dcs...) But now f18c will have two different pods, so i wonder how it will handle both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Naflir = hud

Tgtflir = mfd

Are you sure or guessing, what if two naflir pods or two tgtflir? Or more?

Just asking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The USN never used the Lightening POD while I was in. NEVER. The USMC would use the Lightening on the centerline on the beach only. While I was in we had two different FLIR pods. One was the FLIR pod which would not laser designate by itself and required the LTD pod which would be used on station 6. The ATFLIR came right at the end of my time in the Navy and could self designate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]