F/A-18C Hornet | Audio Production / Overhaul

I_Gamer

Any updates on this? Just curious.

Not as of yet - apologies, I've been busy with other projects as well as work. I'll hopefully be able to fix the whisking issue in this coming week or so. The rest of the reported issues are limitations by the current access we have to the audio files/api.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

All things sound @ Echo 19 Audio

linktr.ee/echo19audio

• 2 weeks later...
Not as of yet - apologies, I've been busy with other projects as well as work. I'll hopefully be able to fix the whisking issue in this coming week or so. The rest of the reported issues are limitations by the current access we have to the audio files/api.

Good stuff! I’ll keep an eye out for any updates. Still really enjoying this sound mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys! Sorry for the lack of updates here!

I'm planning on releasing an update today to help combat against the "whisking" sound when in F2/F3 views. It's not gone, but is reduced and much more manageable now. That, among other tweaks as well. :)

Thanks for the continued support!

EDIT:

Update is released! I'm going to begin some more work on the howl effect and stop it from sounding like a siren in F2. If I could tell the game to only use that sample in F3/F11 views, I would just opt to do that. But, that isn't a feature I have access to.

Edited by I_Gamer

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

“whisking”?

Are you guys referring to the Oscillating “Siren” sound when in outside view?

Yeah, other than that I am enjoying this mod as well.

Thanks for it.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

“whisking”?

Are you guys referring to the Oscillating “Siren” sound when in outside view?

Yeah, other than that I am enjoying this mod as well.

Thanks for it.

No. That's a separate issue. That sound you're hearing is the howl sample, as it is not a perfect steady "tone", because it was taken from a real hornet flyby.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Whisking appears to have be reintroduced in v1.1.1.

It was never really gone, just reduced, I can't change the way the game handles these files unfortunately. This is as good as it will get for now, until ED gives us modders more control over how things work in the game (which I doubt will happen unfortunately).

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Are these limitations on how the game handles sound files part of why flyby sounds tend to go quiet? I've noticed that just about every jet sound mod out there gets quieter as the jet passes the camera, with a strange "whoosh" noise, when it should be at its loudest point instead.

Are these limitations on how the game handles sound files part of why flyby sounds tend to go quiet? I've noticed that just about every jet sound mod out there gets quieter as the jet passes the camera, with a strange "whoosh" noise, when it should be at its loudest point instead.

Yes and no. I wish there was an easy way of explaining why, but my attempt would just make it sound more confusing than it needs to be. :music_whistling: But I'll give it a whirl.

Short answer: There's not really any way of telling the game otherwise, at least for audio, since we cannot define or change how the game handles audio other than the cone/shape, gain and fade distances.

In ArmA 3 (hear me out); the modding community has complete access of how a certain "addon" is handled in game. How this affects the audio side of things is having direct access to how the game engine calls or executes a certain audio file. For aircraft in ArmA; I can define how fast it needs to be going, or define a speed "gate" (so, between X / X speeds - be value Y, otherwise don't play). I can also tell the game engine in which camera position the player needs to be in for them to hear the sounds. Currently only ED developers, including third party (I believe), have access to where and how the game can call up and execute audio files.

The modding community only gets access to the raw audio files (which is better than 90% of games, that hide them behind custom packaged files for copyright concerns) as well as the SDEF files, which can only change the volume/pitch and distance of which a sound can be heard.

For there to be any sort of monumental immersion enhancements to happen in DCS, either the community should be given some sort of access into an API / SDK like environment to create these sorts of things, or ED should develop some sort of LUA environment to where modders can still create/define their own sound sets for any given aircraft - within controlled space and not given direct access to the game's underlying API or engine.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Interesting that the issue was pretty much nearly resolved and usable until after the increase in levels. The whisking is back with a vengeance. Do you have a copy of the first update that you did? Wish I wouldn't have deleted it. It was much improved for me than the latest 1.1.1.

Check your Discord messages! :)

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Some of those passes sounded like someone actually whisking thin batter :megalol:

Wow - yeah that is absolutely atrocious sounding. I don't blame you for liking 1.1 better. :lol:

Sometimes DCS confuses me.... A lot actually, it confuses me a lot. :music_whistling:

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

I think the issue is that you are using sounds that have a pitch variations. The way the sim deals with these files is that it loops them at a different rates depending on speed. If ou were to find sound files that are steady and can be looped without detecting the loop, the issue would be resolved.

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

I think the issue is that you are using sounds that have a pitch variations. The way the sim deals with these files is that it loops them at a different rates depending on speed. If ou were to find sound files that are steady and can be looped without detecting the loop, the issue would be resolved.

That's the issue with the way DCS handles sounds, though. If everything were flat it would sound very uninteresting, and is what accounts for why most of the aircraft (if not all) sound very "whooshy" and lack any sort of audio dynamic.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

• 1 month later...

Incoming update!

New update is coming soon to the Hornet overhaul in DCS!

Many fixes, tweaks and even some additions are making their way to the Hornet! Oh joy! Everything is sounding better than ever thanks to your support.

Stay tuned and keep an eye out here for more details. Exciting things planned for 2019!

Edited by I_Gamer

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio