How to find range from current position for ATC

JSpidey

Hey guys, I have a question. When I contact ATC for a inbound request, or frankly any request that gives me a range. How do I know when I reach the range instructed by ATC? For example when I request Inbound it tells me a azimuth and a range, following the azimuth is fine, but I don't know how far to go. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Yeah in the current ATC you have to cancel and repeat inbound to tell you range again.

I hope in the new ATC you would, once you establish contact with particular ATC, talk to the controller by issuing requests/responses, like asking for range, direction to interception vector, wind, qnh, any birds, but the ATC capabilities aren't the same in all airfields in real life, they have varying tech level of radars/detectors, the question is which ERA (timeline) is a map set in? I had the idea of ERA flavours of the maps, not exactly having to be a full blown mod that replaces models/terrain, but just some functions like the ATCs, etc.

And maybe an emergency function in which you would broadcast on emergency frequency and a suitable listening ATC would respond (if that applies to military plane/faction), the closest ATC would respond but in case where one airfield is either larger or has friendly units while the other is smaller or both are relatively close then maybe both would respond and player would quickly be able to choose which one, for example if high-up and loss of flight/engnie systems maybe you'd have to glide down and if a runway is too close you'd be going in too steep/fast without executing trick manouvers to lose altitude/speed which probably would be something you would want to avoid at all costs when having malfunctions.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

There is a few different ways you could accomplish this but I hesitate to get into it. I recommend you use other options available to you depending on the aircraft you are flying. Tacan with a runway course heading is my favorite in the F-18. NDB’s, waypoints, etc, etc. Give Tacan a shot first. Chucks guide to the F-18 does a good job explaining these options. We can help you along the way too.

Present ATC in DCS is really short on this capability. Once read there is plans to overhaul ATC in DCS. I am looking forward to seeing the new ATC in dcs.

The ATC actually needs to be more alive and functional in control all aircrafts to base.

The ATC in Falcon BMS does a good job at controlling all aircraft within it radar contact with updated vectoting information to the pilots.

A dynamic ATC controller would add live to the sim

For instance, if you stay to long on the runway after or before takeoff, you get a warning to get off the runway as other aircrafts are inbound or ready to takeoff.

This and more are some immersive features I love to see.

At the moment, using NDB and tacan works for those airfields that have these facilities(frequencies) and for those airfield which does not have, assign navigation Waypoint that would provide ranging information on your HUD.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

There is a few different ways you could accomplish this but I hesitate to get into it. I recommend you use other options available to you depending on the aircraft you are flying. Tacan with a runway course heading is my favorite in the F-18. NDB’s, waypoints, etc, etc. Give Tacan a shot first. Chucks guide to the F-18 does a good job explaining these options. We can help you along the way too.

I agree with the sentiment. I just check in with ATC for procedural reasons rather than functional reasons. TACAN with course line will set you up nicely.

The instructions are visual. It's a vector to a point on the extended centerline 10km or so in mid air. It provides no allowance for radius of turn required when you arrive. The idea is that you visually recognize the runway environment by looking out the window before you actually reach this point.

The instructions are visual. It's a vector to a point on the extended centerline 10km or so in mid air. It provides no allowance for radius of turn required when you arrive. The idea is that you visually recognize the runway environment by looking out the window before you actually reach this point.

So in the simulator, the range information is just a reference to the runway. Then you call in and request landing once you have visible/on final?

If you plot the point using the ruler (pause, F10, draw, mark) you'll see that it's not the runway itself but some approach point in line with the runway but some distance out.

So if you fly at this approach point and get within XXX range the ATC says "oh good you arrived at the approach point cleared to approach, contact tower for landing clearance." I guess the idea is that if you make it to this approach point you see the runway and can go from there. It's very visual and close enough.