So I Got Thrustmaster to sell me JUST the Warthog Grip... Now what?

LQZDnrC.jpg

So I wanted the Warthog grip, but not the base or throttle. I'd like to use one of the third parties out there, since I've heard great things about the control offered by their products. So VKB or Virpil? I've heard pros and cons for both, and am leaning towards a VKB base because of its more compact size (easier to use for a desktop mount, if I so wish). So the question is, will either of these companies sell me JUST the base (and any adaptor equipment for compatibility with the TMWH grip) and how backed up are they on shipping said items?

For the throttle, I'm going to use an X-55. I like that its generic (the labels and setup of the TM kind of turned me off), and the rotary knobs on the throttle will come in handy eventually for assigning key maps like wing sweep (F-14) and nozzle position (Harrier).

This will be my first HOTAS setup, so I'm trying to mix and match to get EXACTLY what I want, since it will also be a significant investment.

Also, for those interested, the Warthog grip was $110 shipped. Maybe this is a good idea of what the Hornet grip may end up costing as well...

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

VKB discontinued the base only option. https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=5914

You can still buy the base with the KG12 grip and just switch the grip out for the warthog.

But you'll need the warthog adapter for that, which requires you to open up the grip.

Virpil on the other hand will sell you the base as a standalone. Which works with the warthog grip out of the box, plug and play.

No idea on either order status, I'd just ask them directly for an expected wait time.

VKB discontinued the base only option. https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=5914

You can still buy the base with the KG12 grip and just switch the grip out for the warthog.

But you'll need the warthog adapter for that, which requires you to open up the grip.

Virpil on the other hand will sell you the base as a standalone. Which works with the warthog grip out of the box, plug and play.

No idea on either order status, I'd just ask them directly for an expected wait time.

That's disappointing... I really have no use for the KG12 grip. If anything I'd rather get their MCG and the base in a combo and swap out depending on what I was flying...

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

That's disappointing... I really have no use for the KG12 grip. If anything I'd rather get their MCG and the base in a combo and swap out depending on what I was flying...

Their plan is when the MCG grip is ready to order, to also offer the VKB Base with the new MCG grip as well as an option from what I understand...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That's coming. Please realize that currently the KG12 grip is the only grip VKB has on offer, and that's why you find it as the default right now for all their sticks.

Once the MCG is out, the options open up to include Gunfighter and Gladiator Pro bases with MCG grips as well.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That's coming. Please realize that currently the KG12 grip is the only grip VKB has on offer, and that's why you find it as the default right now for all their sticks.

Once the MCG is out, the options open up to include Gunfighter and Gladiator Pro bases with MCG grips as well.

Again, disappointing that the base isn't for purchase by itself, either. I suppose I'll have to look for another route

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

As mentioned you can purchase the VPC MongoosT-50 Base standalone, and it has 100% plug and play compatibility with the TM Warthog grip. No need for any adapters, or even changing any firmware files on the base to get it to work!

There is a big batch which will begin to despatch tomorrow (17th) and we'll be caught up with all existing pre-orders by the end of the week, and then we can tackle new orders the w/c 24th.

Regarding the mounting, the VPC Adjustable Desk Mount is only 35 EUR and offers a much better experience as you can easily center mount for an authentic cockpit setup!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not trying to be an ass hole but why not do this research before you bought the Warthog stick?

However, you may still end up with a pretty cool paperweight, $110 isnt bad at all if the F-18 comes in at that.

No offense taken. When I did my original digging on it all a few months ago, I saw both bases were available for purchase. With work and everything else, I wasn't able to get the stick organized until recently, but by then, things had changed

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

No offense taken. When I did my original digging on it all a few months ago, I saw both bases were available for purchase. With work and everything else, I wasn't able to get the stick organized until recently, but by then, things had changed

You probably believed (like a few others including myself) that the TM WH grip could be easily plugged into the VKB base. In reality you have to open the TM-WH grip, remove the connector cable and install the WH adapter in the grip. Sounds easy but isn't really because the WH adapter includes a little circuit board which is not easy to fit inside the grip. Some succeeded and some (including myself) didn't. So it's probably a blessing that VKB no longer sells the base by itself.

I had bought the complete stick with the KG-12 grip. My plan was to use the base with the KG-12 for WWII planes, and the base with the TM-WH grip for modern jets.

Where I stand now:

I use the VKB stick for WWII planes, and the TM-WH stick (I have a complete one with base) for modern jets. I hate the TM-WH base though because it's extremely stiff.

I have ordered the VPC stick complete and expect it to ship this week. I intend to use that stick for most planes. Except for the A-10C I might use the TM-WH grip in the VPC base.

I should know quite soon how well this works out in practice. I will report.

If the VPC base is indeed plug-and-play-compatible with the WH grip you have not wasted your money.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...
Hi, if you want I can buy your grip if you don't have any plans for it, the only thing that I need to know is your PayPal account.

Let me know if this is ok to you.

Thank you for the offer, but I ended up getting the Virpil base and the two have been serving me quite well for about a year now!

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

As mentioned you can purchase the VPC MongoosT-50 Base standalone, and it has 100% plug and play compatibility with the TM Warthog grip. No need for any adapters, or even changing any firmware files on the base to get it to work!

Does 100% compatibility mean that it uses the Target Software 100% the same?

Target is the only reason I use TM sticks and other products.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Does 100% compatibility mean that it uses the Target Software 100% the same?

Target is the only reason I use TM sticks and other products.

Compatibility means you can use the Thrustmaster Warthog grip on the Virpil MongoosT-50 base (and now also on WarBRD base) without any modifications (such as extra electronic boards) or adapters. But TARGET does not work in this case.

However, if you use the Thrustmaster Warthog base with a Virpil MongoosT-50 grip, TARGET should work.

• 10 months later...

The Virpil WarBRD base and the WH grip work with target if you change the USB id when installing the WarBRD base software.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

The Virpil WarBRD base and the WH grip work with target if you change the USB id when installing the WarBRD base software.

Its a fantastic combo. I've been using it for a few years now with no issue. Having the flexibility to use any WH compatible grip with it is a HUGE plus

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

• 9 months later...
Thank you for the offer, but I ended up getting the Virpil base and the two have been serving me quite well for about a year now!

is it still holding up good? I was wondering if you knew anyone using the Vipril base and grip (Mongoos new version base and grip?) It's 383 usd for the base+shipping, so i want to make sure I'm making the right decision, then I would need to get the desk-mount and the grip (when available), and then the throttle. This investment seems worth it because it will probably last 4 to 6 years ..... Let me know what you think. Here is the exact part #'s of what i was thinking about:

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle