Pitch trim

max22

New to Ka-50, just got it.

When applying up lift power (still don't know the exact terminology), the heli is leaning back. Now I read and hear that I need to pitch trim but don't know how.

Will you help a Ka-50 beginner ? :helpsmilie:

Hi there yes I will try' firstly you need to assign trim function to you joystick, I am away on hols right now so can't check exact setting but from memory whist on the ground press escape and the go to settings at top of menu select search then in box type trim. I believed from memory with K50 there with be only two pitch trim setting but others will no doubt confirm being aurora trim and trim off perhaps. So you set those and then when you initially hover 10ft or so just play with collective to steady her an then close click auto-trim once it should now hold that pitch it not correct do it again until you are happy. After a while you will automatically put the stick in the right place the click the a/trim and think no more of it. Same in real helps I have flown just practice. Hope this helps.

Hi there yes I will try' firstly you need to assign trim function to you joystick, I am away on hols right now so can't check exact setting but from memory whist on the ground press escape and the go to settings at top of menu select search then in box type trim. I believed from memory with K50 there with be only two pitch trim setting but others will no doubt confirm being aurora trim and trim off perhaps. So you set those and then when you initially hover 10ft or so just play with collective to steady her an then close click auto-trim once it should now hold that pitch it not correct do it again until you are happy. After a while you will automatically put the stick in the right place the click the a/trim and think no more of it. Same in real helps I have flown just practice. Hope this helps.

Also it is termed as applying up or positive collective, which, as you correctly say increases th pitch of the rotors and with increased power manual or auto creates increased upwards lift.

You should bind the “T” key. Make sure its a button you can reach and hold easily, I use the pinky button. The ka50 uses a flight control/autopilot system that helps keep the ac stable. If you look at the right knee panel you will see 4 blue buttons, with a 5th slightly right of them. 3 of those button should be “on” pitch, roll and yaw. Then you hold down the trim button, move the ac to the desired attitude and release it. I use another button for the alt control, and another for turn to tgt, which is on the left knee panel. There are also flight director, track, heading and ingress settings.

There are several different modes of fcs. Thats a too short and simple way of saying you should watch some youtube videos on trim.

The reason for all that is to reduce pilot workload. But if you don’t 100% understand the fcs and what its doing, you will think the ac is trying to kill you.

Yeah you'll need it to be a button you can hold during combat. You will be holding this button quite a bit. Not clicking... but holding (<-- There will be a debate here in a few posts... :) ).

So the process is that as you're applying power to lift, you'll hold the trim button, add power, the nose will start to lift, move the stick forwards (still holding trim). Keep doing this... add power, keep nose down with cyclic, WHILE HOLDING TRIM. At some point the Shark will begin rolling forwards.

At that point...

Release the trim button, center the stick, yank the collective and crank up "Flight of the Valkyries"... :)

Also... Which trim MODE do you have selected in the special options section of DCS? Are you using a FFB stick?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

There is a lot to learn regarding trimming the KA-50, it will take some practice. Sometimes you will need to hold the trim button down (as mentioned ) and other times you will need to just click the trim. ( & centre stick afterwards)

Both ways have there application.

For take off, an easy way is to push about 1/4 stick forward, click trim, then when u pull collective she should be pretty level in your take off accent.

Not clicking... but holding (<-- There will be a debate here in a few posts... :) ).

Lol, no, quite agree. Clicking causes a slight jolt upwards. At least on my machine. And in combat, when your trying to get a lock, that can really screw you up.

To get a smooth trim, I always hold trimmer down, adjust to where I want, stabilize, then let up on the button.

I don’t think anyone mentioned that every time you release the trim button, you should quickly recenter the joystick.

Unless you use a force feedback (FFB) joystick, or a stick without spring.

This is not how it works in the real helicopter, but a workaround for spring centered joysticks that are most common.

There are three settings for the trim in the options...

One is used for a springless stick, one for FFB and one for a regular stick. Be sure you've chosen the right one :).

The "Push 1/4 Forwards and trim" method is alright for takeoff. It indeed will get you pretty close... but One of the best shark pilots in the game taught me the "Smooth" method. You just increase power and forward stick, while holding trim, until the shark starts rolling forwards just a tad, then let go of the trim and stick and yank the power on and go :). It'll take a few tries but once you get it you'll take off with a slight forwards travel every time.

One more thing...

Learn to manually hover quickly, and don't use the auto hover in combat. Sorta...

You'll get shot by tanks if you sit in one spot in a real immobile "hover". It's mostly ok if you hover behind cover... but you can do a lot more damage a lot faster if you don't hide, but keep moving. You don't need to be moving fast... just moving. so... Learn to "hover strafe". I've mostly even stopped using "Turn to Target" now, though sometimes while strafing I'll find a target and turn on "Turn to target" to get the chopper pointed in the right general direction and then turn it off again.

The trim is your friend here. What the trim really does in the Shark is it asks it to maintain current travel characteristics... So... If you're holding a 50 ruble strafe with a bit of forwards speed reducing altitude by say 40FPM it will maintain that until crash or no fuel :). This works for circle strafe, funnel... everything.

I also always turn off altitude hold. It can and will kill you. This means that Auto Pilot will no longer have any control over the collective... but that's "generally" a good thing :).

Be careful with the right rudder and right stick when flying fast.

You can get to say 450 or more... but do it with low blade pitch in a dive :).

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Great old post by IvanK about the trim.

Have a good play around with her first, then read up to understand what exactly is going on.

Reminds me. I've been meaning to do a real Sim world video on this trimming thing, just to show case exactly what the Shark is capable of in MP, including sling loading etc.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link