DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

Haven't managed to get a clear sample of multiple interfering transmissions yet, actually pretty difficult to get given the nature of it, but this clip has a few examples.

About 2:30 is a good one. Also shorter less severe example around 1:30. If you listen to the whole clip (and the other on the channel) you'll hear various examples of interference effects from multiple transmissions. Exactly what you'll hear will depend on a lot of factors including distance from/power of each transmitter.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

hello Ciribob....

Your work is one of the most important addition to the DCS community. I know there are many people helping, giving ideas, but, you are the one who is making everything possible.

I have a question, enquire, or petition... whatever.

Although it is not realistic.

Would it be possible to add a radio to be able to comunicate aircrafts with different frecuencies?? for example the Mig21, and Mig15 ahs a complete different range. They could keep their own radio, but there could be another one added by you.

Would be great to do so... Really helpfull. Now we are using TS and SImple radio, but kind of kill the inmersion.

Hi

I haven't the time to look for a precise URL & timing now, but there where such examples on youtube.

Here mainly from the ground freq at NYC https://www.youtube.com/user/H89SA

This to try (not done myself yet) https://www.youtube.com/user/victor981994

Thanks for the links!

Thank you Ciribob. TAW is in the testing :)

Thanks for the testing help! I'm aiming to have a release out today just to get all the new stuff out and then keep working on tweaking distance and LOS. Should have the option now for server admins to add a file to the server scripts folder that'll prompt SRS to autoconnect :)

Haven't managed to get a clear sample of multiple interfering transmissions yet, actually pretty difficult to get given the nature of it, but this clip has a few examples.

About 2:30 is a good one. Also shorter less severe example around 1:30. If you listen to the whole clip (and the other on the channel) you'll hear various examples of interference effects from multiple transmissions. Exactly what you'll hear will depend on a lot of factors including distance from/power of each transmitter.

Thats very helpful! Thanks! Basically just a godawful noise, I reckon I can make that :)

I won't be in this release but I'll aim for the next one.

hello Ciribob....

Your work is one of the most important addition to the DCS community. I know there are many people helping, giving ideas, but, you are the one who is making everything possible.

I have a question, enquire, or petition... whatever.

Although it is not realistic.

Would it be possible to add a radio to be able to comunicate aircrafts with different frecuencies?? for example the Mig21, and Mig15 ahs a complete different range. They could keep their own radio, but there could be another one added by you.

Would be great to do so... Really helpfull. Now we are using TS and SImple radio, but kind of kill the inmersion.

No pressure.... :P Most important addition to the DCS community is Grimes! :)

You can edit the DCS-SimpleRadio LUA but I'll look at maybe making a server side option that'll allow an optional "official" mod to be enabled that'll expand older aircraft radios. It won't be for a while though.

For Mig15 the LUA looks like:

function SR.exportRadioMIG15(_data)

_data.radios[2].name = "RSI-6K"
   _data.radios[2].frequency =  SR.getRadioFrequency(30)
   _data.radios[2].modulation = 0
   _data.radios[2].volume = SR.getRadioVolume(0, 126,{0.1,0.9},false)

_data.selected = 1

-- Check PTT
   if(SR.getButtonPosition(202)) > 0.5 then
       _data.ptt = true
   else
       _data.ptt = false
   end

_data.radioType = 1; -- full radio

return _data;
end

Giving you 1 radio, a PTT button in the cockpit and volume controls and the radioType is set to full radio which means no HOTAS controls.

You could instead do this (which is a copy of the FC3 SU25 Radio configuration)

function SR.exportRadioMIG15(_data)

_data.radios[2].name = "R-862"
   _data.radios[2].frequency = 251.0*1000000 
   _data.radios[2].modulation = 0
   _data.radios[2].secondaryFrequency = 121.5*1000000
   _data.radios[2].volume = 1.0
   _data.radios[2].freqMin = 100*1000000
   _data.radios[2].freqMax = 399.975*1000000

_data.radios[3].name = "R-828"
   _data.radios[3].frequency = 30.0*1000000 --20 - 60 MHz.
   _data.radios[3].modulation = 1
   _data.radios[3].volume = 1.0
   _data.radios[3].freqMin = 20*1000000
   _data.radios[3].freqMax = 59.975*1000000

_data.radioType = 3; -- FC3 Radio Type - No Cockpit controls - Overlay controls work + hotkeys
   _data.selected = 1

return _data
end

Hope that helps :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Quick video showing the new Auto-Connect Feature:

_dnK4oVUNuU

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

New Release Version - 1.2.2.0

Changelog

• New Server Side option - IRL Radio Tx Behaviour - Means that when transmitting you can't hear on that radio
  • Adjusted line of sight offset to 10 meters per feedback
  • Added Line of sight signal fade - Transmissions will fade over a 60m offset - Will require more tuning
  • Added Distance Signal Fade - Will require more tuning
  • Fixed import bug reported (and fixed!) by Dart
  • Added Gazelle Intercom
  • Fixed Bf-109 Radio
  • Added Intercom Hotkey
  • Added Audio Separation option for Intercom
  • Changed audio jitter buffer time to 50ms to reduce some latency
  • Changed Audio Pipeline. Client Audio mixed down per radio before being sent to NAudio
  • Added Client Optional Squelch effect for transmitting
  • Added Client Optional Squelch effect for receiving
  • Added KY-58 Client Optional Audio for transmitting or receiving - Depends on Tx and Rx settings
  • Added Version number to Logs and Window Title
  • Added Placeholder Server Option - IRL Radio Rx Serverside - Means when receiving two radios you'll hear distortion - Not implemented yet
  • Added Placeholder Server Option - Radio Static - Means you'll hear background static - not sure about this setting yet
  • Switched server to use config file instead of registry - Will be created on first run. Port config inside
  • Server and client can be configured to run on different ports
  • Multiple servers can be run on a single machine on different ports using server config files.
  • Added optional Auto-Connect for servers to prompt SRS to automatically connect
  • Added optional Re-sampler. Enable under settings if you have audio problems or audio errors in your logs.

Here's the final version of the rewrite of the audio pipeline. Fade effects are now in for Distance and Line of sight (no static, just audio reduction) and it will require more tweaking as they're not very noticeable at the moment.

Audio effects are also back in (other than constant tone on starting encryption). If you don't have IRL Radio TX behaviour on server side then you will hear mic clicks when you press and release PTT and at the start and end of receiving audio. Encryption RX sound is also now in.

This version has new LUA so make sure you use the installer.

This is a HUGE release as you can see from the changelog so please let me now if you spot anything odd so I can fix it!

Thanks to all for all the help testing. Development will probably slow again after this week as I'm low on time and the remaining parts are a fair bit of work each.

As always - Please let me know if you have issues so I can help solve them! :)

DOWNLOAD HERE - Unzip all files and Run the Installer: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

Wiki - Manual + Help

Thanks to Nossarian, there is now a Wiki here which will eventually be a central place for all documentation. Big thank you for the help! :)

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone/wiki

Auto Connect Feature - Server Owners ONLY - Clients don't need this file!

To enable SRS clients to be prompted automatically to connect just add the DCS-SRS-AutoConnectGameGUI.lua to the appropriate DCS Saved Games folder e.g. DCS.openbeta/Scripts, DCS.openalpha/Scripts or jut DCS/Scripts

Edit the line below to your server address where SRS server is running. Port is optional. DCS must be restarted on the server for this file and any changes to take effect.

-- CHANGE FROM
SRSAuto.SERVER_SRS_HOST = "127.0.0.1" -- Port optional e.g. "127.0.0.1:5002"

--TO
SRSAuto.SERVER_SRS_HOST = "5.189.162.17:5002" -- BuddySpike One
-- OR
SRSAuto.SERVER_SRS_HOST = " 37.59.10.136" -- TAW One (port optional)

And thats it.

If a client isn't connected and has SRS running they'll be prompted to connect automatically. You'll also see the message posted in the chat listing the address when slots change or a client connects.

Finally - I need your help!

If you'd like to help with this project, please help me fill in this sheet of radio info! It'll also help correct any mistakes I've made with the Radios.

LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tzd996zJ1t0heZ-t1PpL7vNUIZbXl7pI6De0GThN1Qw/edit#gid=1869108790

Edited by Ciribob

Well, you don't hang about that's for sure. Outstanding!

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Ah I was going by this: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone/issues/99

I guess as its super short range it's a very high frequency?

If you can find any proper documentation that would be great! In answer to PM just fixed frequency :)

To server admins: Please be aware that UDP port have changed to the port setting you have set on server settings and is not default to 5010 anymore but defaults to 5002 now. So if you have limited you server firewall to TCP 5002 and UDP 5010 you will not have radio transmission but clients can still connect! Either change your SRS port to 5010 or change firewall to allow UDP 5002 (or whatever port you set in SRS server dialog window).

Edited by HiJack

Always artistic jobs from Ciribob

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

FYI,

We had a two ship Gazelles with multicrew and everyone could hear each other on intercoms between ships. Also, and don't know if this is Gazelle thing or SRS but, when in Gazelle by myself I can see the victor freqs change in overlay. When in multicrew the victor freqs in overlay show 64.145 and I cant change freqs on the Gazelles victor radio.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Confirm that the SW position of the SPU-9 in the KA-50 is a "spare position", not operational in the KA-50.

So, no SW radio in the KA-50.

It´s like the SW position of the SPU-7 in the Mi-8, a spare position. Maybe it´s used in other airframes. SPU-7&9 are common systems used in a lot of airframes. Not all positions are operative in all airframes.

To server admins: Please be aware that UDP port have changed to the port setting you have set on server settings and is not default to 5010 anymore but defaults to 5002 now. So if you have limited you server firewall to TCP 5002 and UDP 5010 you will not have radio transmission but clients can still connect! Either change your SRS port to 5010 or change firewall to allow UDP 5002 (or whatever port you set in SRS server dialog window).

Thanks HiJack. Sorry meant to post something like that and forgot... Hope you weren't stuck for too long! In my defence, I changed a lot :P

Just to re-interate - The Port you see on the server window is for both TCP and UDP instead of being separate ports as it was before to ease administration and allow the auto-connect to work.

FYI,

We had a two ship Gazelles with multicrew and everyone could hear each other on intercoms between ships. Also, and don't know if this is Gazelle thing or SRS but, when in Gazelle by myself I can see the victor freqs change in overlay. When in multicrew the victor freqs in overlay show 64.145 and I cant change freqs on the Gazelles victor radio.

Thanks for the report - Were the two gazelles in the same group or in different groups both containing only one gazelle? I've had a quick look and in theory this is only possible if DCS is returning the same Unit ID for the two different gazelles but I'll investigate further tonight.

For the frequencies, I just export the frequencies that DCS gives me once I've fixed the first bug I'll have a proper look. Did you definitely change the VHF frequency to manual? Can you change any other radio settings / frequencies?

Confirm that the SW position of the SPU-9 in the KA-50 is a "spare position", not operational in the KA-50.

So, no SW radio in the KA-50.

It´s like the SW position of the SPU-7 in the Mi-8, a spare position. Maybe it´s used in other airframes. SPU-7&9 are common systems used in a lot of airframes. Not all positions are operative in all airframes.

Thanks Tarres for the thorough investigation! Next major release I'll make it optional and server side control as part of the new "expand radios option" i'll work on.

Thanks for the feedback and please let me know if you spot anything else odd. A lot has changed! :)

Edited by Ciribob

Were the two gazelles in the same group or in different groups both containing only one gazelle? I've had a quick look and in theory this is only possible if DCS is returning the same Unit ID for the two different gazelles but I'll investigate further tonight.

For the frequencies, I just export the frequencies that DCS gives me once I've fixed the first bug I'll have a proper look. Did you definitely change the VHF frequency to manual? Can you change any other radio settings / frequencies?

The first Gazelle name was Colt 1 and unit name Colt 1, Second Gazelle name Colt 2 unit name Colt 2. I could hear Colt 1 talking on their intercom while I was in Colt 2 and vice versa.

As far as the Victor radio, its working fine. Stupid me was not turning it on properly. :) Thanks Kiwi!!

Thanks for your support.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Further to Showtime's post we tried two groups of Gazelle's all with different callsigns, unit numbers and Pilot names and no matter what we did the intercom was heard in all aircraft.

On the bright side it was heard with two players in one aircraft.

Great work by the way.

K

The first Gazelle name was Colt 1 and unit name Colt 1, Second Gazelle name Colt 2 unit name Colt 2. I could hear Colt 1 talking on their intercom while I was in Colt 2 and vice versa.

As far as the Victor radio, its working fine. Stupid me was not turning it on properly. :) Thanks Kiwi!!

Thanks for your support.

Are you sure that it was through the radio you heard them and not Teamspeak? Easy to forget to disable MIC and SPEAKER in TS :music_whistling:

IRL Radio Rx Serverside - Means when receiving two radios you'll hear distortion

Hi Ciribob,

Please, could this feature be disabled by default for the clients in CA slots?

Reason is that they are usually doing GCI or ground based FAC duties.

For example: The ground based FAC would be in a command car / hummer outfitted with a SINCGARS (or the older AN/VRC-12 set plus the AN/PRC-113 and -117 just to make sure he has the whole range covered) and several receivers, each of them with their own separate antennas (typically 2 to 3 receivers).

With each receiver having a separate antenna there is no distortion. The FAC uses the one transceiver to jump between the various frequencies he needs to transmit on.

Cheers!

USMC-dayton.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Edited by ViFF

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website