Naval Operations Wish List

Wags

Spawning areas on the carriers other than the catapults, specifically on the elevators. Made a thread about it here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=186748

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thought I had as far as spawning on a carrier.

Model the inside Hull/hangar space of the carrier as additional spawn points. Then model working lifts to get aircraft on deck.

I'd also like to see personnel or a vehicle used to "park" aircraft that have just landed or just off of the lift.

After spending 20 years in the Navy and 12.5 years of that on Carriers, tractors are not used during flight ops to move aircraft, only after flight ops to respot aircraft for ease of lauching the next series of flight ops. Aircrews taxi and park their own aircraft for take off and after landing, with the help of the the ABH flight deck directors. You will never see a flight crew man their aircraft in the hanger bay and ride the elevator to the flight deck either. Only the plane captain does that to ride the breaks if need be along with the wing walkers with chocks.

Cheers

AG-51 Hoss

AT1(AW/SW) USN ret.

Hoss%20DCS%20Signature_zpswwqigfju.png

Edited by BeoWolf_57

Sempre Fortis

After spending 20 years in the Navy and 12.5 years of that on Carriers, tractors are not used during flight ops to move aircraft, only after flight ops to respot aircraft for ease of lauching the next series of flight ops. Aircrews taxi and park their own aircraft for take off and after landing, with the help of the the ABH flight deck directors. You will never see a flight crew man their aircraft in the hanger bay and ride the elevator to the flight deck either. Only the plane captain does that to ride the breaks if need be along with the wing walkers with chocks.

Cheers

AG-51 Hoss

AT1(AW/SW) USN ret.

Hoss%20DCS%20Signature_zpswwqigfju.png

I'm jealous that would have been nice, the action the scene and the travelling.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thought I would bump this being as though I have just reinstalled Dangerous Waters.

Does the DCS engine allow surface and sub surface simulation? Are there any/many differences or is it just a matter of modelling systems to a reverse altitude type scale?

I am thinking of sonar, ecs, magnetism etc rather than underwater graphics which are pretty, and pointless.

Yes I want P-3 DCS configured for both maritime surveillance and attack and non maritime surveillance.

Thought I would bump this being as though I have just reinstalled Dangerous Waters.

Does the DCS engine allow surface and sub surface simulation? Are there any/many differences or is it just a matter of modelling systems to a reverse altitude type scale?

I am thinking of sonar, ecs, magnetism etc rather than underwater graphics which are pretty, and pointless.

Yes I want P-3 DCS configured for both maritime surveillance and attack and non maritime surveillance.

No, DCS currently has nowhere near any form of underwater at all, the closest you get is when crossing small rivers using a vehicle.

For me underwater is something much needed, just basic terrain below the surface of the water, for all applicable bodies of water. It would allow for all ASW weapons and all submarine-launched weapons as well as improving the simulation of ships. Plus as you say SONAR, MAD sensors etc. For the larger rivers and lakes it would allow improvements for brown-water vessels and for smaller rivers more realistic wading for non-amphibious vehicles. That's another thing every single amphibious vehicle we have (LVTP-7, BRDM-2, BTR-80, TPz, the BMPs etc) are actually amphibious, they behave identically to any other vehicle.

It seems a shame we don't have an underwater yet, I mean even to the level of say silent hunter 3 with a very basic sea-floor etc. Because the new Kilo class model is one of the best graphically speaking naval units in DCS, there are even SLCMs to go with it, but it's totally useless without any form of underwater present.

In case adding an underwater simulation means performance loss, maybe make it optional under settings like P3D for those with lower-end PCs or those who aren't interested.

The graphics are kind of necessary for the purposes of ASW using say torpedoes, mines, anti-submarine rockets, depth charges etc - without an underwater actually there they aren't really all that possible, there actually needs to be an underwater environment below the surface of the water - again something like silent hunter 3 would be more than sufficient, I'm personally only interested in CA type control for submarines, and even then pure AI is more than sufficient, I'm not interested in having direct control of them as that's not really what DCS is for.

I mean the sea/river/lake beds don't have to be super high fidelity or be super detailed, it need only be not even on the level as the current (1.5) Caucuses map, it also doesn't need to be that accurate, for rivers a general profile can be assumed, the same goes for lakes. For the Black Sea itself a very crude and simple depth maps would more than suffice.

I mean, proper ASW is like the only thing we can't yet do in DCS to any extent, apart from firing on submarines as if they were surface ships. All the associated weapons aren't possible, meaning most ships are missing torpedoes, anti-submarine rockets etc.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Subs by their nature work autonomously, and because they only have narrow communications windows any coordinated activity requires advance planning. Therefore, they may not be the best candidate for a CA type control. However, coordinating surface ships and ASW helos against subs would be a nice addition to CA. Everything could be coordinated from the F10 menu, with datum and search radius as circles, bearing lines and tracks as the solution is refined, and then the ships or helos can engage once they achieve attack criteria. No need to have Dangerous Waters type system modeling (or even Harpoon level modeling where you can spit individual sonobuoys), but having some pull-down options like common buoy patterns based on the scenario would be great (e.g. barrier, nuclear containment, diesel containment, etc.). A level of abstraction would also mean that bathymetrics could also be left out (and with it buoy string length), which would minimize the system hit and make ASW operations more accessible.

Edited by Home Fries

Units:

- Submarines (with realistic surface / sumerge capability)

Realistic IA:

- Realistic formations (AAW / ASW / point defence barriers)

- Picket ships

- Evasive actions on ships

- Attack Pattern on ships

Realistic capabilities:

- Antisubmarine Warfare (ships / hello / aircraft):

Sosus systems

Sonar engine

Antisubmarine torpedoes / depth charges

Sonobouis on helo / aircrafts / ships

- Antiship Warfare

Sonic countermeasures and decoys (towed / deployable)

Antiship Torpedoes / missiles / mines

Realistic antiship missiles

- Amphibious warfare:

LHA and similar heavy units

LST and similar small units

Heavy units can carry small landing units into them and deploy on sea to travel to landing beach's by crane or wet interior bay.

LST and similar can carry units into them and deploy on sea to travel to landing beach's and deploy them cargo

Vehicles with sea capability can deploy to Heavy landing units and travel to the beachs

- ECM / ECCM / Decoys / Chaffs / Flares on ships

- Datalinks on ships

- Cooperative engagement capability or similar on ships

- EOSAT / ROSAT or similar satellites to detect targets

- Out The Horizon detection and launching weapons

Mine Warfare

- Mine-hunting sonar

- Deploy mines (contact / hydrostatic / influence / etc)

- mine-hunting equipment to disable, destroy mine fields

Logistic

Ships can make Replenishment on sea by Fleet Oiler or AOR ships

VERTREP replenished by Helos

Weapons

- Assisted rocket Torpedo / Stand-off missiles on Submarine / Ships

- Anti-ships / cruise missile weapons with way-points

- Anti-ships can reattach / search pattern (some Harpoon and other anti ship missiles)

- Inertial / Mid-course correction / other sensors on anti-ship / anti-air / cruise missiles

- Anti-ship missiles can be launch to a pattern area.

Other:

Ports and Naval bases (the ships can anchor on them)

Improved naval environment weather and sea state

And that only have a short list :thumbup:

+1 :thumbup:

Amphibious operations , make river praticable by small boats

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Subs by their nature work autonomously, and because they only have narrow communications windows any coordinated activity requires advance planning. Therefore, they may not be the best candidate for a CA type control. However, coordinating surface ships and ASW helos against subs would be a nice addition to CA. Everything could be coordinated from the F10 menu, with datum and search radius as circles, bearing lines and tracks as the solution is refined, and then the ships or helos can engage once they achieve attack criteria. No need to have Dangerous Waters type system modeling (or even Harpoon level modeling where you can spit individual sonobuoys), but having some pull-down options like common buoy patterns based on the scenario would be great (e.g. barrier, nuclear containment, diesel containment, etc.). A level of abstraction would also mean that bathymetrics could also be left out (and with it buoy string length), which would minimize the system hit and make ASW operations more accessible.

Eh fair enough, personally though bathymetry is for me. And for the immersiveness (sshhh that's a word!) I think it's something better there than not. However, for the sake of performance make it an option and use your idea of a more simplified system instead, like a game mode for ASW.

For CA control I think players should have at least CA control, just because for the kind of thing were expected to do with them, and the type of submarines available. The actual features don't have to have incredible system modelling (SH3 features for the underwater, in other words, one that exists, as for the actual submarines, having depth, speed and course (like aircraft but underwater) would be fine and then have the same sort of AI control as most other things.

For CA control just setting a route and telling it when and what to attack etc. Not 1st person type control we have with tanks.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

+1 :thumbup:

Amphibious operations , make river praticable by small boats

This.

What Silver Dragon said would be a godsend.

System:

• 11 months later...
Units:

- Submarines (with realistic surface / sumerge capability)

Realistic IA:

- Realistic formations (AAW / ASW / point defence barriers)

- Picket ships

- Evasive actions on ships

- Attack Pattern on ships

Realistic capabilities:

- Antisubmarine Warfare (ships / hello / aircraft):

Sosus systems

Sonar engine

Antisubmarine torpedoes / depth charges

Sonobouis on helo / aircrafts / ships

- Antiship Warfare

Sonic countermeasures and decoys (towed / deployable)

Antiship Torpedoes / missiles / mines

Realistic antiship missiles

- Amphibious warfare:

LHA and similar heavy units

LST and similar small units

Heavy units can carry small landing units into them and deploy on sea to travel to landing beach's by crane or wet interior bay.

LST and similar can carry units into them and deploy on sea to travel to landing beach's and deploy them cargo

Vehicles with sea capability can deploy to Heavy landing units and travel to the beachs

- ECM / ECCM / Decoys / Chaffs / Flares on ships

- Datalinks on ships

- Cooperative engagement capability or similar on ships

- EOSAT / ROSAT or similar satellites to detect targets

- Out The Horizon detection and launching weapons

Mine Warfare

- Mine-hunting sonar

- Deploy mines (contact / hydrostatic / influence / etc)

- mine-hunting equipment to disable, destroy mine fields

Logistic

Ships can make Replenishment on sea by Fleet Oiler or AOR ships

VERTREP replenished by Helos

Weapons

- Assisted rocket Torpedo / Stand-off missiles on Submarine / Ships

- Anti-ships / cruise missile weapons with way-points

- Anti-ships can reattach / search pattern (some Harpoon and other anti ship missiles)

- Inertial / Mid-course correction / other sensors on anti-ship / anti-air / cruise missiles

- Anti-ship missiles can be launch to a pattern area.

Other:

Ports and Naval bases (the ships can anchor on them)

Improved naval environment weather and sea state

And that only have a short list :thumbup:

+1000

(Celebrating the fifth anniversary of this thread by adding to the recent bumps.)

I'd be really happy with land-based mobile Silkworm and C-802 launchers.

Arleigh Burke-class DDGs (Flight I and II, which I know are available as mods), an AOE, and a couple Gators to round out both a Carrier Strike Group and an Amphibious Ready Group. Minesweepers.

Warships from UK, France, Italy, and the UAE. Iranian surface warships.

Editable hull numbers. (Thank you for the TACAN change!)

Smaller bow waves.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

• 6 months later...

Wags, as more and more naval assets become available in DCS (F/A-18, F-14, AV-8B NA, carriers and other ships by ED, Falkland and assets by RAZBAM,...) there really should be a dedicated naval helicopter playable to complete the naval package.

An SH-60 Seahawk variant would probably be the most obvious choice, but an SH-3 Sea King (or the British Westland variant) would be well-received as well. A Sea Lynx would probably also fit in quite well for many scenarios.

While additional scenarios in DCS like ASW would be fantastic for these helicopters, I don't think that they would have to come instantly with the release of a naval helicopter. Just being able to simply fly these helicopters in naval scenarios, land them on pitching decks of frigates, perform some VERTREP or SAR missions would do for the moment.

Wags, as more and more naval assets become available in DCS (F/A-18, F-14, AV-8B NA, carriers and other ships by ED, Falkland and assets by RAZBAM,...) there really should be a dedicated naval helicopter playable to complete the naval package.

An SH-60 Seahawk variant would probably be the most obvious choice, but an SH-3 Sea King (or the British Westland variant) would be well-received as well. A Sea Lynx would probably also fit in quite well for many scenarios.

While additional scenarios in DCS like ASW would be fantastic for these helicopters, I don't think that they would have to come instantly with the release of a naval helicopter. Just being able to simply fly these helicopters in naval scenarios, land them on pitching decks of frigates, perform some VERTREP or SAR missions would do for the moment.

would prefer an MH60S knighthawk for the modern glass cockpits. It be more simpleified in a way as it doesnt necessitate the radar operator in the back, and can be introduced in a more Utility way without necessitating Radar unit, for anti shipping. Can still use weapons like Hellfires or APKWS

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD