R-77 Usefulness?

FlankerMan

The TWS launch regardless whether it's a single shot or salvo of two in the MiG-29S gives immediate warning as soon as the missile(s) goes off the rail. I personally ignore the R-77. It tracks better than the ER and it is extremely maneuverable but it's pathetic range is just meh. For a close combat fight there's the R-73.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

RVE Tito have you tried R-77 since Advanced proportional navigation update? It was about the time the MiG-29 PFM was finished that it was added. Of course an ER is a much longer stick, but it has greater parity now against maneuvering targets

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Regardless of it's guidance it still seems pointless of having ARH missile for within visual range engagement.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

R-27ER is very fast, good when firing against "cold" enemy, chase him until he is withing 8-10KM and fire 27ER, it will catch him. 77 has longer range than 73 and is fire and forget, shoot it on a hot enemy within 10km and he will have hard time to escape it, or at least, you will be able to gain better offensive position for the merge. They all have their use within DCS if used correctly, can be very powerful, including the ET.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GettyImages-966740056-5b19a9713418c60036694a98.jpg

Real life unknown quantities such as the effectiveness of chaff against radar missiles boil down to the internet mention of 120C5 having 'improved chaff resistance' from previous versions such as the 120B.

So ED logic here is

SARH, chaff = it's Super Effective

ARH 'improved chaff resistance', chaff = what chaff?

Then go with gamey dice rolls to sort this out and these gamey dice rolls apply greatly to certain missiles and very little to others making the whole process a bit of a joke.

The fact missiles and radar have been constantly evolving with improved chaff resistance since the 70s is lost here.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Let Chiz or GG explain Eritrean war for you :)

Ill explain some facts from Yugoslavia, Yemen, Syria :)

Do you believe in 13% when you see this video, It should be at least at 30% in MP! There is no pure data on how good missiles are tracking, ED what you are doing with ER-27 have nothing to do with realism but it is effecting DCS competitive arena in negative way.

Let me put it this way, what dose say that missiles track more realistically now then compare to FC1? How is it possible that Su-27s radar is weaker against Chaff from 10km then Aim-120B/C radar :)?

Edited by Teknetinium

Teknetinium 2017.jpg
                        51st PVO Discord SATAC YouTube

Do you believe in 13% when you see this video, It should be at least at 30% in MP! There is no pure data on how good missiles are tracking, ED what you are doing with ER-27 have nothing to do with realism but it is effecting DCS competitive arena in negative way.

Let me put it this way, what dose say that missiles track more realistically now then compare to FC1? How is it possible that Su-27s radar is weaker against Chaff from 10km then Aim-120B/C radar :)?

Need to do that test with active :)

Ok, show some facts where R-27R/ER is used in Yugoslavia, Yemen, Syria.

In any case, the title of this thread is 'Usefulness of R-77' ... you've already got the right attention for the 27 and you know it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Try the R-27R, is worst, to make a kill you need to be at the same distance than a R-60M! :megalol:

All great information guys, thanks! When it comes to R-27ER VS R-77 (which is kind of my main point right now), one way of putting it would be this: in a J-11A (or MiG-29S), in addition to my other weapons, should I have 4 R-77s, or 2, plus 2 R-27ERs?

They all have pros and cons, all work best in certain situations depending on your fighting style. Your R-27s is your longe range stick, but if you can get close R-77s have their advantages. They are just different tools

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

All great information guys, thanks! When it comes to R-27ER VS R-77 (which is kind of my main point right now), one way of putting it would be this: in a J-11A (or MiG-29S), in addition to my other weapons, should I have 4 R-77s, or 2, plus 2 R-27ERs?

You can't leave the ET out, it's the best Russian missile so far in DCS. I always take 4 x R-77, 2 x R-27ET and 4 x R-73

On MIG-29 a mix of 2 x ET and 4 x R-77 or 4 x R-77 and 2 x R-73

Edited by JunMcKill

In the 29 I go with 1xET, 1xER, 2x77 and 2x73. The 77 I see only good in WVR combat where the adversary would be expecting your 73's which are becoming more flare-happy as DCS evolves.

The J-11 I don't fly. I stick to stock 27/33 again due the silly range of the 77. The ER might be less resistant to chaff/notch and often goes dumb off the rail but sometimes tracks like a shark smelling blood. Having more of them on board definitely gives safer options in BVR.

You can't leave the ET out, it's the best Russian missile so far in DCS.

Ummm, that's debatable..

Edited by =RvE=Tito

=RvE=

In the J-11A I always take four R-27ERs one ET and one R-77 though I also fly it a lot with five ERs and a single ET purely because of how useful the ER are Id say the other two are really hard to justify given their very situational nature

I guess under some circumstances two 77s and three or four ERs maybe an ET would make sense if the teams are stacked against red like 5 to 1

You can't leave the ET out, it's the best Russian missile so far in DCS.

Absolutely not, far from it, its smokey so it gives everyone a clear visual cue as to where you are and that its coming in and its IRCCM is so weak it might as well also go for bonfires and lit cigarettes dropped on the ground.

Its a very over rated missile and I can't think of a time I've ever needed more than one per every three or four sorties.

While it may be overrated, there a lot of aspects it can be used and making it hard to notice. So many times in a radar BVR fight someone might have the concentration to flare while chaffing an ER expecting that ET, but they can’t keep it up forever. Eventually there will be a moment their flare usage slows down and they are not expecting an ET on its own while you STT(they can’t stare over their shoulder forever). Sure it’s IRCCM game is weak, but even just the threat of it making people flare 30km away making it super easy to see them is an advantage.

With the JF-17, the MAWS only can see a burning motor 5km away. Hard maybe to take advantage of with a sidewinder, but it’ll be interesting if people can exploit it with an ET:)

I agree their might be some cases where radar guided missiles might get you more kills, especially once the Hornet has its new smaller flares, but personally for me I use it to get heatseeker kills while staying far enough away to avoid 9Xs

All is fair in love and war:wub: Even shooting down an AIM-9X!

Its not a matter of it being honorable or not, its simply that its unreliable and might kill a noob or two here and there across the front

In BVR there are two shots taken, turn signaling and killing shots

the ET doesn't really do either of these as well and as reliably as a properly shot ER or even 77 for that matter in some cases