How classified is Hornet?

Alfredson007

I was watching a 2009 -filmed finnish documentary series about Hornet pilots and in few (aerial combat training) situations the HUD had something censored below altimeter, on the right-center side on the HUD.

Made me wonder, what was censored, and why, and how classified are the C-hornets and their sensors these days (and were in 2009 - almost decade ago).

I was watching a 2009 -filmed finnish documentary series about Hornet pilots and in few (aerial combat training) situations the HUD had something censored below altimeter, on the right-center side on the HUD.

Made me wonder, what was censored, and why, and how classified are the C-hornets and their sensors these days (and were in 2009 - almost decade ago).

Not enough to affect ED's confidence in being able to represent it an accurate enough fashion.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

they also sensor locations/coordinates etc for deployment/pilot safety.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The fact that the HUD is sometimes blurred out doesn't mean the HUD symbologies are classified, but the information presented in it is.

For example, sometimes you see planes doing gun runs, and normally some of the information on the HUD is blurred out. I spoke to a Navy pilot and he said they don't want to show how they do the gun runs. Pitch attitude, Mach number, and others.

The fact that the HUD is sometimes blurred out doesn't mean the HUD symbologies are classified, but the information presented in it is.

they also sensor locations/coordinates etc for deployment/pilot safety.

This

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There was post on the forum (i can't find it now :P ) saying that sometimes a black block appears on the HUD playback whenever a weapon release button is pressed. It looks like something is being censored but is in fact just to let someone watching the recording know a weapon release was commanded.

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle

I have flown the sim in Payerne LSMP. All was classified except the ADI/FCS/ENG pages. Generally, not touch of the panels. Just fly around and enjoy a one time life experience ;)

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I have flown the sim in Payerne LSMP. All was classified except the ADI/FCS/ENG pages. Generally, not touch of the panels. Just fly around and enjoy a one time life experience ;)

doubt as much was classified because The available USN Natops Hornet Manual covers content beyond just the ADI/FCS/ENG pages.

In any case Wags stated the module was made from Public Sourced Information. guess with enough puzzle pieces you can get quite close approximation of the actual Classified stuff.

EDIt: looking up Payerne LSMP means you flew a sim of the Swiss Version of the Hornet.. WEll thats a different story, AS the Swiss Hornet has been further modernized with different Avionics Suite, so its not a fair comparison.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Not enough to affect ED's confidence in being able to represent it an accurate enough fashion.

Anything to do with FCR-sensitivity and DLZ's will be a guesstimate I guess, to my knowledge the launch parameters of e.g. the AIM120 are still classified.

EDIt: looking up Payerne LSMP means you flew a sim of the Swiss Version of the Hornet.. WEll thats a different story, AS the Swiss Hornet has been further modernized with different Avionics Suite, so its not a fair comparison.

Well, it was before they received the new sims. So it was the old C/D pit ;)

And and that one had worse graphics than FS9 at that time ...

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Sensor (FCR, TGP, RWR) and missile performance are generally classified, as well as most EW related items.
Plus ECM and IFF. How ECM works probably will remain classified for good.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Why you gotta remind us that 2009 was a almost a decade ago....got people feeling old...:(

Why you gotta remind us that 2009 was a almost a decade ago....got people feeling old...:(

You feel old when you read a 2013-2014 threads about commenting how happy they are to soon to fly F-18 as it was announced....

4-5 years later we are just to about get it ;)

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Even the F-16 is classified. Remember the overall tech might be simple, but all software is very advanced and highly secret.

So ED might come very close but will never know it. Also a lot of real world parameters cannot be made into a game.

And the closer we get the more the gamer will be pissed of, that his plane or weapon/sensor is not working.

So going to be a healthy mix of guesses, data and business perspectives.

Want the real deal ..you need to become a fighterpilot and the first one that goes "screw this shit and become a fighter pilot" look me up for a case of beer :)

Casual gamer statement :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]