Considering Overclock for DCS 2.5

When I built my PC a couple of years ago I decided on getting a K CPU (PC in sig) so that I'd have the option to OC if I ever felt that it was necessary. With DCS 2.5 out I can hit 60ish FPS with highish settings, barring MSAA. Originally I found that turning that off wasn't a big deal but now I've noticed that it's making some cockpit displays difficult to read.

I'm wonder if anyone can give me an idea of how much benefit I might see from OCing my i5 6600k. I've also never overclocked any components before, so any advice or tips are welcome too.

Thanks

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Go have a look at your CPU usage in Task manager. My even slower i5 2500 is not maxed out, despite have a 1080 onboard. So I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't achieve much with an overclock.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

You can have an idea of benefit in the first sticky thread of this section (2016 hardware benchmark - DCS 1.5.X)

Basically at 3.5Ghz you have on given settings 80fps average, and you go to 95fps average if you overclock to 4.5Ghz.

A basic advice for OC : go to bios and tick the "gaming OC mode" or equivalent from you motherboard.

And also OC your 970 with for exemple afturburner : unlock voltage, apply +30-35mV, put power limit to max, add 10% to core frequency and 400Mhz for Vram frequency - that was totally stable and efficient with my 970 at the time.

Learn as much as you can before overclocking. Leave ram timing alone. Leave the registry alone. Don't mess around in the bios unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. If one has a modern card and uses MSI Afterburner for example then yes, its safe to read up on what a moderate oc is and bump it up. Still the gains are not all that much.

Worst case you crash your computer and cannot even get into bios or safe mode. I know this. More often than not you notice graphics oddities, crash to desktops, overall wierdness.

So yeah fool around with moderate settings on your card but tbo don't expect much. Simply reducing settings will do FAR more than any amount of hours of tweaking and overclocking.

If I sound negative its because I have been simming since Microprose F-119 and was well known at the local computer store. They LOVED simmers. Bottom line is read the forums and you will see that a lot of us with some of the fastest machines made are having to make trade offs especially with VR.

• Like 1

i just had my new i7 7700k @4.2 and its never max out at max settings :/ dont understand if i need to overclock to win more fps (really dont needed them but whatever)...

I guess not to overclock unless 100% cpu usage its happening?

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

no, wrong.

When your GPU tops out at 88% or such your CPU is too slow. You then either increase settings or resolution or give more cycles to the CPU. Also Frametime comes into play.

The CPU doesnt need to hit 100% to be the bottleneck from what I learned.

Faster doesnt harm, I saw my 1080Ti at 88% lately, pumped it to 5.2 and fixed it. Speed does matter imho

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the responses.

From looking at the 2016 benchmark thread, it looks like OC won't be enough to improve performance with MSAA on (unless 2.5 is drastically different). I might try it just to see what happens and "for science". If I do I'll report back.

The CPU doesnt need to hit 100% to be the bottleneck from what I learned.

This is what I read elsewhere on the forum, although I can't track down the exact post now.

I don't really have any diagnostic tools to see the exact usage of CPU, GPU, etc, so I guess I can start with getting some of those and trying to get a better idea on how my PC is working.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Install MSI Afterburner and take the time to study the tool. In "Settings" you can define what it will show in your TrayBar ( GPU temp and usage are my picks ) and what you want in an OVERLAY while you game.

I have choosen the following:

GPU: temp. usage, VRAM, FPS,

CPU: temp, usage ( all cores ) , RAM, SWAP

You can show all cores on their own if you want or add any of the other options.

HWinfo can integrate into Afterburner, those two tools are your daily toolset if you work the PC, look for bottlenecks and overall HW analysis.

MSI Afterburner is best downlaoded from Guru3d.com. It's a 2-staged install, it also installs Riva Statistics Server ( the overlay function ) while it installs MSI AFterburner. Install both as prompted, those appear as 2 separate software packages in your list of installed software, that is normal. Keep both.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the responses.

From looking at the 2016 benchmark thread, it looks like OC won't be enough to improve performance with MSAA on (unless 2.5 is drastically different). I might try it just to see what happens and "for science". If I do I'll report back.

This is what I read elsewhere on the forum, although I can't track down the exact post now.

I don't really have any diagnostic tools to see the exact usage of CPU, GPU, etc, so I guess I can start with getting some of those and trying to get a better idea on how my PC is working.

Hi Exorcet,

since I upgraded and got a nice clock on the new CPU the 1080 operates at up to 99%. Simplest way to see is using the performance monitor launched from the task manager. It will give you a nice simple overview of whats going on with your system. Using the rift I have it set on the right side of my monitor and take a peek from time to time. If you have a 2nd monitor you can use it. Alternatively Speedfan freeware will record any values you select on a live graph so you can check back after your gaming session.

Any questions please ask, there are never stupid questions :thumbup:

EDIT: I attached a screen showing the MSI afterburner software. See the GPU is almost maxxed out with an O/C on all cores of 4.9 Ghz. The RAM and Pagefile usage is there along with the temps and load of each core

1043033153_GPUusage.thumb.png.af50ba5f66cb66ae67af0bd591681db2.png

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For overclocking you'll need a good heat sink and quality PSU. You can damage your hardware if you don't know what you're doing!!!

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Thanks again for the additional info, just letting you all know I'm watching for updates, but I've been busy and had not had a chance to mess around with things just yet.

• 4 weeks later...

When I overclock my GTX 1060, not changing voltage, only increasing MHz slowly, will my PC go black first or can the card take damage just from a too high frequency?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

When you OC your card, likely you will either get a nv-driver reset with a short blanl n black screen ( GPU clock too high ) or, in case of VRAM OC, you will see pixel-errors across the screen. If you see those, back off the VRAM speed a little.

Usually the PC does not crash due to GPU/VRAM oc..but hey...it may happen as well.

The card will die if you dont cool it properly, that is for sure. Cool it as much as you can, they eat north of 180w and maybe north of 300w sometimes when OC'ed. Your 1060 may stay a good portion lower but also your heatsink was smaller to begin with, so you are in the same race, watts vs. copper :)

It makes more sense meanwhile to cool a GPU with water than a CPU, there are real nice air coolers like Noctua but nothing for a GPU.

The card won't take damage from anything. Because even changing voltages with afterburner doesn't allow you to overpass the voltage safe limit (1.24 V or Something there).

So you'll have a driver crash.

With defaut voltage you can increase frequency (core and Vram) but little. A stable OC to what your card can handle will only be with some more voltage. The heat will goes up but no problem with a custom model (throttling heat limit never achieved even with OC). You can change fans working profil to keep it cooler.

I would never ever raise Volts on a GPU.

What it cant do with default value is beyond the envelope. That's a 1 grand GPU, taking no chances to wear it out in 3 years, gotta last longer than that.

Nvidia tech rep has a nice video what more Volts do = shorten your GPU's lifetime considerably.

You should know what you are doing before going to action. You may increase PT to 120% but I would not touch the Volts with aircooled cards.

Those 10x0 GPU have clear limits what speed they do at what temp, but temp is not what kills the die, temps kill your Caps and VRM's over time. Current wears out your GPU die's tracks.

I would never ever raise Volts on a GPU.

What it cant do with default value is beyond the envelope. That's a 1 grand GPU, taking no chances to wear it out in 3 years, gotta last longer than that.

Nvidia tech rep has a nice video what more Volts do = shorten your GPU's lifetime considerably.

You should know what you are doing before going to action. You may increase PT to 120% but I would not touch the Volts with aircooled cards.

Those 10x0 GPU have clear limits what speed they do at what temp, but temp is not what kills the die, temps kill your Caps and VRM's over time. Current wears out your GPU die's tracks.

But the rest is fact? (Overclocking high MHz without increasing voltage will only crash the PC/Driver, not cause wear on CPU/damage?)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

likely

use intel IXT software. I pumped my 7600k to 4.5ghz with no problems. Do a google search on your processor and "overclock settings" and you'll find what voltage people use. Then use IXT to set it there then click stress test. If you have a generic fan I wouldn't do it. I have a 280mm dual fan radiator and it never gets faster.

Edited by FlyingTexan

use intel IXT software. I pumped my 7600k to 4.5ghz with no problems. Do a google search on your processor and "overclock settings" and you'll find what voltage people use. Then use IXT to set it there then click stress test. If you have a generic fan I wouldn't do it. I have a 280mm dual fan radiator and it never gets faster.

He's running an AMD Ryzen :music_whistling:

There is an equivalent from AMD for his sake , called AMD Ryzen Master Tool.

For that CPU, all you need to get going is to up the multiplier and leave everything else on Auto.

You can lower the vCore once you have found the highest stable clock on Auto and save a few

°C. AMD Ryzen is simple to overclock, a lot simpler than Intel. It's either 3.9 or 4 usually with Ryzen.

My tip, for DCS, if you want 4.1 GHz XFR Boost, dont OC and leave it all in default, that's the only mode the CPU will auto-boost to 4.1 GHz at all. If you stray away from "default/auto" XFR is disabled on those boards I have tested and in general iirc. Since DCS stresses only 1 core, I'd really try default for DCS but render the clip on 4G all cores later on :) I think that is best if you seek the highest fps and peak-1-core GHz.

I never tested DCS on any of the Ryzen I have built but I have overclocked them all, and all went 4G with easy means. One has a 90€ cooler and the other has a 17€ cooler, both works non-stop priming but I prefer the Noctua over any other air cooler, as good as some cheap ones are, they are usually complicated to mount, like this hell of a 17€ cooler, but hey, it works almost as good as a Noctua DH15AM4.

DanielN, read a few pages about Overclocking Ryzen, they basically all say the same, up the multi, volt on auto and you are done ;)

The GPU, get MSI AFterburner, run a GPU stresstest and UP clock and later VRAM in small steps while it runs the stress test, when ít crashes...go 1 step back and do the VRAM...small steps..until it crashes....1 back...DONE...if it still crashes from time to time, reduce a little bit more.

You can increase the PowerTarget but the fans will then ulitimately be spinning 100% if not already and that is up to you. I watercool my card and still dont up the volts, the key to GPU overclocking with 10x0 Nvidias is low temp. The lower the temp the higher it clocks stable, more Volts do not help crashes but heat up the card. If your GPU runs north of 70°C I would defo not touch the volts.

In the end, its gotta run DCS. It all means nothing if it passes all tests for hours but then has a kernel Exception mode error and kicks you out of the cockpit after 30min flying....like mine likes to do on 5.2..so I am back to 5G for now until I find the culprit for that.

Ryzen and itÄs 4G wall gives you peace of mind, with these Intels, you always want to push further...5..51..5.2..then Cache...44x 46x 48x ...LoL many variables.

DUDE I'm talking overclocking my GTX 1060 GRAPHICS card here... Did you even read? (This post directed @Flying Texan) also, I had to rewrite this post as my Android 7.0 fckd up and closed my Chrome App randomly lol

He's running an AMD Ryzen :music_whistling:

There is an equivalent from AMD for his sake , called AMD Ryzen Master Tool.

For that CPU, all you need to get going is to up the multiplier and leave everything else on Auto.

You can lower the vCore once you have found the highest stable clock on Auto and save a few

°C. AMD Ryzen is simple to overclock, a lot simpler than Intel. It's either 3.9 or 4 usually with Ryzen.

My tip, for DCS, if you want 4.1 GHz XFR Boost, dont OC and leave it all in default, that's the only mode the CPU will auto-boost to 4.1 GHz at all. If you stray away from "default/auto" XFR is disabled on those boards I have tested and in general iirc. Since DCS stresses only 1 core, I'd really try default for DCS but render the clip on 4G all cores later on :) I think that is best if you seek the highest fps and peak-1-core GHz.

I never tested DCS on any of the Ryzen I have built but I have overclocked them all, and all went 4G with easy means. One has a 90€ cooler and the other has a 17€ cooler, both works non-stop priming but I prefer the Noctua over any other air cooler, as good as some cheap ones are, they are usually complicated to mount, like this hell of a 17€ cooler, but hey, it works almost as good as a Noctua DH15AM4.

DanielN, read a few pages about Overclocking Ryzen, they basically all say the same, up the multi, volt on auto and you are done ;)

The GPU, get MSI AFterburner, run a GPU stresstest and UP clock and later VRAM in small steps while it runs the stress test, when ít crashes...go 1 step back and do the VRAM...small steps..until it crashes....1 back...DONE...if it still crashes from time to time, reduce a little bit more.

You can increase the PowerTarget but the fans will then ulitimately be spinning 100% if not already and that is up to you. I watercool my card and still dont up the volts, the key to GPU overclocking with 10x0 Nvidias is low temp. The lower the temp the higher it clocks stable, more Volts do not help crashes but heat up the card. If your GPU runs north of 70°C I would defo not touch the volts.

In the end, its gotta run DCS. It all means nothing if it passes all tests for hours but then has a kernel Exception mode error and kicks you out of the cockpit after 30min flying....like mine likes to do on 5.2..so I am back to 5G for now until I find the culprit for that.

Ryzen and itÄs 4G wall gives you peace of mind, with these Intels, you always want to push further...5..51..5.2..then Cache...44x 46x 48x ...LoL many variables.

OPs Post

When I built my PC a couple of years ago I decided on getting a K CPU (PC in sig) so that I'd have the option to OC if I ever felt that it was necessary. With DCS 2.5 out I can hit 60ish FPS with highish settings, barring MSAA. Originally I found that turning that off wasn't a big deal but now I've noticed that it's making some cockpit displays difficult to read.

I'm wonder if anyone can give me an idea of how much benefit I might see from OCing my i5 6600k. I've also never overclocked any components before, so any advice or tips are welcome too.

Thanks

________

Pretty sure I can read that he has an intel.

DUDE I'm talking overclocking my GTX 1060 GRAPHICS card here... Did you even read? (This post directed @Flying Texan) also, I had to rewrite this post as my Android 7.0 fckd up and closed my Chrome App randomly lol

It was a direct response to the person that started this thread about his question and overclocking his system. I didn't mention you, I didn't mention your graphics card, I didn't post anything about you because this isn't your thread now is it? So the real question, DUDE, is do you read?

lol OP created this thread 40 days ago, I think he already received more replies than he expected, he didn't even reply anymore, see? ;) So next time please ask OP first if he still want's your opinion, thanks.

yeah,, its very confusing sometimes, shit happens LoL.

haha..