Regnad A10C DCSBios Cockpit WIP - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
Regnad517

Default Regnad A10C DCSBios Cockpit WIP

OK, long time coming but can finally start to document some of this. Big thanks to Ian, Hans, and others that have helped me tremendously with some of the coding. You guys kept me going!! This community is indeed special and appreciated by me.

So, backstory. A friend of mine has gone through multiple setups and never was quite satisfied. The most recent was a 9 screen touchpanel setup fully run with helios. It was close but still wasn't right. Then we read here about DCS-Bios and it changed our world. Next thing we are purchasing a CNC Machine, bunch of arduinos, already had a 3d printer, etc... with the goal to build everything ourselves from scratch. My buddy is the engineer and I'm the computer nerd so we work well together.

We decided to split the cockpit into 3 sections basically, left, center, and right running a master Mega for each

So we are 90% done with the right panel. Some quick pics

As you can see they are coming out beautifully. Right now they are just placed in there for pics. When I say from scratch, he even made his own PCB boards with the CNC machine. Front plates are white plastic painted black and then CNC engraved. Each individual section is run from a slave arduino such as ILS, Tacan, Caution Panel, etc...

Here are some individuals

Regnad517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Regnad517

I will be adding code for each panel we used as well as I build this thread. Might help someone else and will at least be a backup for me

I was told today actually that a few of the faceplates were actually purchased from pcflights.com so thought I would mention that.

Last edited by Regnad517; 01-29-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
jrsteensen

Looking great man! Keep it up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
jrsteensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
AndrewW

That looks awesome, well done!

A-10C, AV-8B, F-5E, F-86F, FC3, FW190D-9, Hawk, Ka50 2, P-51D, Spitfire, UH-1H, F/A-18C.

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf.
AndrewW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
thrustvector

my first words were JESUS CHRIST! man that looks good, and the fact your making it completely from scratch is totally awesome!
cant believe how good they look, like better than shop bought.
dam fine work guys
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #6
Hansolo

Really good looking work Sir Looking forward for more pictures on the process.

Cheers
Hans
Old 03-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
Regnad517

Haha, so due to some bad lag and hit or miss responsiveness, we scrapped the master/slave setup and decided to mount a USB hub in each console and then assigned the com ports accordingly. Took 17 com ports but seems to be much better than our master/slave setup. Having some 4K resolution issues at the moment so we are going to alter setup and run Helios from a separate machine. Will have some new pics and updates in the next weeks.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:28 AM   #8
Pavespawn

Looks great! I’m about to put a CDU together myself!
Pavespawn is offline   Reply With Quote