Real RAF Merlin collective project

I know I’m late to the party but I have a couple of design suggestions first use hall sensor second have you thought of hydrolic dampeners for he droop

Thanks, yeah, I'm using a pre built hall sensor assembly that is in the form factor of a potentiometer. It has a sensing angle of 60 degrees andappears to have excellent accuracy (much more than what is needed for DCS I gather?) It was about £14 delivered and I couldn't be more happy with my purchase, it works perfectly with the Leobondar board.

As I mentioned above, I'm still seriously considering the dampers. Does the pull resistance feel the same as the push resistance?

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

• ED Team
Do you have a link for the damper you used please? My current design uses a brass / nylon friction clutch to adjust resistance but I see that a lot of people use struts. Can the oil struts be adjusted?

The one I used I can no longer find, but it was essentially the same as this motorbike steering damper

not adjustable but work just fine, just the right resistance for me, but I am a bit of a gorilla :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

As I mentioned above, I'm still seriously considering the dampers. Does the pull resistance feel the same as the push resistance?

Yes they should have the same resistance in both directions. The shaft goes all the way through the piston, so they have the same effective area on both sides. Having consistent force in both directions is very important on a motorbike.

I’m using this adjustable one on mine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-255MM-Universal-Steering-Damper-Stabilizer-For-Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Suzuki-/272765898532?hash=item3f821d4f24

It’s adjustable from very easy to move with a light touch, all the way to barley movable by hand. Still works good after a year of use, but it does sometime feel like to leaks a bit of oil.

Depending on how much you’re willing to spend you could go for a used Öhlins or similar, they tend to go for around £100 on eBay

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone, it's been a crazy long time since my last update and I apologise to anyone who was following my project, it's been a roller coaster year of recovery from meningitis but I'm glad to be back with some huge updates and progress on my collective!

To keep things in the spirit of a build log and also to make sure I don't spend the next few hours here posting, I'll be updating the thread over the next few days. First of all, we left of in the design stages with some really helpful replies above, thanks guys, I ended up going for this damper https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-HI-Q-255MM-Universal-Steering-Damper-Stabilizer-For-Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki-/112487139526?hash=item1a30c188c6 although it seems to have gone up £15 since I bought it, it's a really nice damper though, very smooth feeling and seems well built.

Next up came some more 3D plans, the video below shows what was pretty close to the final design. I decided to try and integrate everything into the body itself to keep it looking clean and simple, initially I'd been looking at using belts and pulleys to connect the potentiometer but I'm much more happy with the new design.

Excuse the shaky video whilst I try and film my projector screen with one hand and dissemble the model with the mouse in the other!

So the main axle is made up of two pieces, the pot sits inside and is secured by it's bolt, there is then a screwdriver type pin that threads through the brass bearing and engages in the end of the pot. as it is threaded, it can be adjusted to zero and calibrate the collective angles from the hardware side before refining it in software with dead zones.

The other side houses the brake mechanism. So I stuck with the electro magnet and used the caliper and disc type principal. The magnet is housed within the side plate and slides freely to allow it to grip on to the inside of the disc. In my testing I'm able to get some serious clamping force from it and am really happy with it's performance, i accidentally left it on for a few hours and when I came back to it, it was hot but not too hot, it inadvertently had an epic stress test and passed with flying colours!

The lever bar itself that connects to the collective grip is sized to accommodate the 50 odd cables coming from the grip and then an adapter collar will be used to step up the diameter to the existing OD of the Merlin grip.

That's it for today, I'll get cracking on with uploading more pictures soon...

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

Projects looking good there. :thumbup:

I went away from bushings to bearings because the additional load by the "steering damper" would have killed the bushes over time, it works amazingly well. I have bought all my controls over to my Leo Bodbar 836 USB interface and it works well.

I kept things to a level that basic hand tools is all that was needed to build and construct

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

:thumbup:Thanks

I had originally designed it with bearings like yours but my engineer friend who did the machining for me insisted brass bearings and a stainless axle were the way to go and now I have it here I can see why, the precision is second to none and the action is so smooth, I'm very happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the link to yours, I'll get going on your whole thread this evening, or at least up to speed as I think I read a lot of it before I became ill.

Also, update to follow shortly. :joystick:

(Build Thread)

Oh, and i forgot to say, I have the same damper as you FragBum, I'm really impressed with how the collective feels with it attached, thanks to everyone who suggested these.

(Build Thread)

So to start off with the actual manufacturing, the first components to be machined were the collective arm, collar / adaptor and the brass bearings.

L4Ruh3y.jpg

The arm it's self was straight forward as it's just 20mm ID stainless tube, placed on a lathe and polished up.

The next part was the adaptor to connect the Merlin collective handle to the stainless arm. Throughout the project one of my main priorities is to not change or machine anything from the actual helicopter part and to adapt the design to meet this requirement. To me, this grip is something special, unique (at the moment) and not to be butchered.

TIo1aMO.jpg

The collar has a simple diameter step down and uses grub screws to secure it neatly to the collective grip, luckily even though the grip is ergonomically shaped, right at the end, the casting feathers off to a perfect circle which allows for a seamless transition between the grip and the adaptor.

vrZRKYO.jpg

WOHrSOU.jpg

The pictures above show the adaptor collar fitted to the collective grip, my friend did an amazing job with this and the transition is exact, he's 100 miles away from me so I picked up some nice accurate vernier calipers and sent lots of photos and measurements.

bPkTowC.jpg

The bearings were also machined, they're turned down from solid brass. the picture below shows the 'top hat' shape which allows them to be pressed in to 10mm stainless steel side plates and sit flush with the outside.

It's also possible to see the threaded top hat which will house the grub screw that will engage with the pot to calibrate / zero it.

h2VpBBu.jpg

Due to a slight miscommunication the other bearing was machined all the way through but luckily my friend was kind enough to turn down another with the top still on, this was both for looks and functionality though as it means that I can pack the bearings with silicone grease and it will have no route to escape.

(Build Thread)

• 2 months later...

James,

your comment in the Ralfy's TM Hornet grip Youtube video review brought me here.

I can't wait to see more of your build.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

James,

your comment in the Ralfy's TM Hornet grip Youtube video review brought me here.

I can't wait to see more of your build.

Hi, thanks :) I didn't get any replies when I updated my last progress so the thread kind of lost momentum! It's pretty much all sorted so I'll get some updates sorted here tonight.

On a side note, I think it's a shame the F18 stick is so expensive, I understand its a niche market you'd think that the only real cost is casting the grip itself, all the other switches etc seem to be pretty much bought over from the warthog. I feel like I got a great deal now as given it's £200 for just the handle, I bought the throttle and stick new on Amazon for £265 about 3 years ago! :joystick:

(Build Thread)

The next part we called the 'pin' essentially it's the axle for the collective lever, my goal here was to integrate the pot into the center of it to keep it as clean looking as possible on the outside. As illustrated in the video of the 3D plan, the pin consists of 2 hollowed out parts which are held together with grub screws, the pot is also secured with a grub screw once in place.

Here's the initial machining, i it's made from solid stainless rod.

bNMIvCj.jpg

0sYOLpQ.jpg

Yx2jmjm.jpg

Here's the finished pin, believe it or not, it's 2 separate parts that fit perfectly together! He's a lathe god haha. The joint is just to the left of the grub screw on the wider section of the body.

mM1TW3W.jpg

(Build Thread)

After the pin was completed, it was time to move on to the base and sides of the housing. it was all laser cut from 10mm plate stainless steel.

1LgpfB4.jpg

There's also a sneak preview of the brake disc in that shot too.

The plates were then marked up for all of the various holes and machining to house the bearings and cables within the steel plate itself.

8xTSjhC.jpg

Side plate after a bit of initial buffing.....

CyNpc9t.jpg

Until we get to this :thumbup:

stc7C91.jpg

(Build Thread)

damn son where'd you find this

Ebay :music_whistling:

(Build Thread)

• 11 months later...

:joystick:

IEEn4aX.jpg

Edited by james111333

(Build Thread)

First time seeing this. Nice work thus far. What's the next step?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Looking great!

So glad that thing found a good home, although slightly regretting not getting it myself when I had the chance :)

Can’t wait to see more :thumbup:

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

First time seeing this. Nice work thus far. What's the next step?

Thanks, although I only did the design / blueprints etc, it is my friend who did the lathe work.

The collective has a trigger switch that I have wired up to an electro magnet which engages with a disc, a lot like a disc brake on a car however with the steering damper set where I want it, there's just a bit too much leverage and the collective droops when the brake is engaged. It should be an easy fix though as it is polished chrome (magnet) against smooth steel (brake disc) and even with 10kg magnetism there is no resistance to the torque. I am thinking a paper thin layer of rubber bonded to the inside of the disc and it will increase the grip massively.

Overall though, even in it's unfinished state, it has truly and profoundly changed my immersion and enjoyment in helicopters (in VR too)

I recommend to anyone considering swapping out a throttle for a collective to do it, I feel so much more connected with the helicopter and the resolution of the Hall effect potentiometer is amazing.

I have recently moved so am currently building a version 2.0 home cinema / gaming room but I am desperate to get back in on it! When I've moved in to the new room the next stage will be making a box to house all of the electrics etc which will act as a base for the mechanism. My sofa is modular so I am able to lift out a cushion and slot in the collective which puts it at the right height relative to my seating position. The sofa itself will be a bit of a 'hub' with USB and power connectors built in as well as all the tactile transducer bits and bobs so that is a bit of a project on it's own. The aim is to quickly change from normal HOTAS for fixed wing and a short throw stick to the helicopter setup which will be the collective and extended cyclic more like what helos use. The wires also drove me nuts when flying sat on a sofa so there will be lots of cable management and strategically placed USB ports!

(Build Thread)

Looking great!

So glad that thing found a good home, although slightly regretting not getting it myself when I had the chance :)

Can’t wait to see more :thumbup:

Thanks, yeah, I kept checking on it and panicking haha, the more I looked, the more I convinced myself that I would regret it if I didn't buy it, I was like a kid at Christmas when it arrived, it makes the Warthog feel like a toy.

Then my wife found out how much I paid for it.....

(Build Thread)

I jumped the gun a bit as I forgot where I got to in the build thread!!

This photo shows the pin and how one end disengages to expose a cavity where the pot sits in, the end of the pin is then held in with a grub screw to complete the axle.

End cap half way removed.

DodR1hb.jpg

End cap in place.

E37L9FQ.jpg

This shows the pot fitted inside the end cap.

ITpPHeV.jpg

The slotted end then engages with a screwdriver type pin that is threaded so I can fine tune the exact positions of fully up and fully down.

This means that the pot turns with the axle and the adjustment screw is stationary.

PfjMOul.jpg

(Build Thread)

A few mock up photos.

yVXotD5.jpg

fiYaNvO.jpg

rIrfOKj.jpg

In this one you can see the hole where the electro magnet sits, it's just down and right from the main bearing. This is the 'caliper' so to speak, although it pulls and grips the disc rather than squeezes like on a car.

c1Ex22w.jpg

This one shows how all of the wiring etc is internal you can see the holes drilled in the axle, big one to the side is for wiring, little one is for a grub screw to allow adjustment of the length of the collective arm itself.

pFEpX00.jpg

(Build Thread)

• 9 months later...

I have the finished product ready to show if anyone is still interested and will get some pictures up soon, just giving this a bump! If anyone is on the fence about getting /building a collective, do it! It's a real game changer for immersion over using my WH throttle, this and Reverb G2 is just amazing 🙂

(Build Thread)