Spitfire gauges illumination - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
NAKE350

Default Spitfire gauges illumination

Im not sure if I'm imagining it, but I'm sure I've seen the gauges with internal or backlighting before and not just flood lighting?

If so, can anyone help with how to turn it on please?

HTC Vive, EDtracker, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display with Nvidia surround set at 50Hz, T-Flight 4 Hotas, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals.
NAKE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
DD_Fenrir

Many WW2 aircraft instruments had needles and major markings painted with radium which is luminescent - whether the Mk.IX Spitfire in particular had these I cannot confirm, however, a few years ago an RCAF veteran visited a museum near me where they have a restored Mk.XVI which was a type he had flown; he asked if he could sit in the cockpit but was gently rebuffed as there was apparently a risk of radiation exposure. Make of that what you will.

But I can tell you with certainty is that they were not internally lit in reality and nor in DCS.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
NAKE350

It was seeing the DCS tutorial for taxi & takeoff that reminded me. I've attached a screenshot from the video which can be seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iEMZb-dk_E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	197954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	197955  

HTC Vive, EDtracker, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display with Nvidia surround set at 50Hz, T-Flight 4 Hotas, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
Sn8ke_iis

It's not just you, in Early Access the gauges were illuminated by backlight and think they flipped on with cockpit power. There is no keyboard callback for it. I'm not sure when it was removed or the accuracy relative to the historical model. In current real world flying warbirds it's really easy to add an LED to the instrument panel along with a GPS or radio stack. I don't know if the specimens in museums had back light or not.
Asus ROG STRIX Z270I MoBo, Intel 7700K CPU @ 5.0 GHz, Nvidia Titan Xp GPU @ 2.0 GHz , EK Liquid Cooling, Gskill 16 GB DDR4 @ 4000 MHz RAM, Samsung 950 M.2 512 GB, 960 1 TB NVMe SSDs, Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K 120 Hz panel, Sennheiser PC 363D headphones, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster: Warthog and Cougar HOTAS, MFDs, Vipergear: IPC, Saitek: Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, Combat Flight Pedals, Trim Wheel, Playseat: Air Force Flightseat, Monstertech: HOTAS mount, Gametrix: Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
NAKE350

I've made a higher contrast set of gauges here, www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302602/ which look more like the ones originally released. Not sure how to back light them yet, or even if its possible to introduce new light sources into the model.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
ams999

Thank you, finally I can read the gauges at a glance without switching the lights on...
ams999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
NAKE350

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams999 View Post
Thank you, finally I can read the gauges at a glance without switching the lights on...
No worries... It looks like the cockpit hasn't been updated for deferred shading yet..Everything, including the gauges look much better in 1.58. Hopefully it will get some official attention soon

Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 AM   #8
DeepDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
Many WW2 aircraft instruments had needles and major markings painted with radium which is luminescent - whether the Mk.IX Spitfire in particular had these I cannot confirm, however, a few years ago an RCAF veteran visited a museum near me where they have a restored Mk.XVI which was a type he had flown; he asked if he could sit in the cockpit but was gently rebuffed as there was apparently a risk of radiation exposure. Make of that what you will.

But I can tell you with certainty is that they were not internally lit in reality and nor in DCS.
+1
The stock lights are fine. I'll take the realism on this one.
I bound my left and RH dash light increase and decrease to my left and right up and down of the two black hats on the tm joystick on a layer. It works slick and easy.
I also have them turn to most times with other functions.
I throw 6 decrease 32 millisecond pulses to each one when I disconnect my imaginary battery power to ensure they are all the way off.

They let me inside the ropes but all I they would let me do was reach up and try to snap a shot of the inside through the scratched up original canopy. ALL I got was a reflection of the flash. I would have had to jump through a lot of hoops with the curator to see more.
The odd restorer has looked it over.

It makes me mad that I didn't pay more attention when I sat in it as a teen.
I hated the moment at the time actually. There really is sort of no floor and the only place for your feet is on the pedals. It was a very eerie feeling in a dark cold hanger. Sitting low in a solid metal seat. It was beat to death but it flew there and it has remained original as it was ever since.
I liked the Mustang much more in those days. The cockpit of that was a beautiful thing.
My heart is in a full wing Spitfire these days.

Many predatory birds fly over my shack and all I see is C wing Spitfires .
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #9
NAKE350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDrummer View Post
+1
The stock lights are fine. I'll take the realism on this one.
I bound my left and RH dash light increase and decrease to my left and right up and down of the two black hats on the tm joystick on a layer. It works slick and easy.
I also have them turn to most times with other functions.
I throw 6 decrease 32 millisecond pulses to each one when I disconnect my imaginary battery power to ensure they are all the way off.

They let me inside the ropes but all I they would let me do was reach up and try to snap a shot of the inside through the scratched up original canopy. ALL I got was a reflection of the flash. I would have had to jump through a lot of hoops with the curator to see more.
The odd restorer has looked it over.

It makes me mad that I didn't pay more attention when I sat in it as a teen.
I hated the moment at the time actually. There really is sort of no floor and the only place for your feet is on the pedals. It was a very eerie feeling in a dark cold hanger. Sitting low in a solid metal seat. It was beat to death but it flew there and it has remained original as it was ever since.
I liked the Mustang much more in those days. The cockpit of that was a beautiful thing.
My heart is in a full wing Spitfire these days.

Many predatory birds fly over my shack and all I see is C wing Spitfires .
I know what you mean about originality, but it's hard to tell what's real or not when I look down in the Spitfire's cockpit and it's just glowing light green... I see no shadows at all.. The current cockpit doesent look real compared compared to the AV-8B for instance and especially in VR.
I'll have the opportunity of sitting in a MkV in two weeks time, so I'll see what's what then. :-)

Old 11-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
DeepDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAKE350 View Post
I know what you mean about originality, but it's hard to tell what's real or not when I look down in the Spitfire's cockpit and it's just glowing light green... I see no shadows at all.. The current cockpit doesent look real compared compared to the AV-8B for instance and especially in VR.
I'll have the opportunity of sitting in a MkV in two weeks time, so I'll see what's what then. :-)
Good points for sure. I am always a week or so behind the beta and so I never really know if things are issues anymore. Is the sun through everything still a thing?
I am super envious of you getting to sit in an MKV. Enjoy!
Regardless of gauges, the subtle engine sounds remind you of a lot of things.

It's kind of like what the motorcycle dealer said to me when I commented on the lack of a tachometer. "Just listen to her and she'll tell you what she needs".
He was right. No need. The spitfire engine sounds do tell you a lot in DCS as well.

I watched a video yesterday of a Spitfire with the guage mod. It did look rather nice.
Whatever it was is what it should be in my opinion.
I too hope for more but not at the expense of realism.
I hope you get to the bottom of it.
Bring a little flashlight to introduce light into the glowing needles to see if they hold light on their own. That is the big question I think.
Please let us know how it goes.
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote