Mission editor and UI overhaul

Terzi

Lately I had struggle with the time settings in the mission editor. The thing was, I added an aircraft and set the takeoff time. Then modified the mission time (which was hard to find how to do that), and add a second aircraft. When we go in the mission one aircraft was spawning and the other did not. This was because of a time shift after the mission time modification.

However, that is not the point. The main problem I try to express here is that, time settings are not so obvious in mission editor (especially if you are a newcomer to DCS). Time settings is just one example. Please re-evaluate the mission editor's usage, to make it easier to grasp for new starters. For most of us here on the forum, the mission editor is good and it provides all settings that we need. But from an outsider's eye; this is quite complicated regarding to their feedback.

I am writing these based on my experiences while I am introducing the DCS World (especially the F-16C) to new people.

Maybe in future when you complete the Dynamic Campaign, or publish DCS 3, you may want to re-write the mission editor from scratch by following certain Human Interface Guidelines.

Maybe to best thing to identify the problems by making a survey with people who are yet unfamiliar with DCS. Ask their opinion, where do they get stuck, let them experiment with mission editor and identify their needs etc.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Maybe in future ... you may want to re-write the mission editor from scratch by following certain Human Interface Guidelines.

A from-scratch rebuild would take a lot of man-hours and most likely would introduce lots of new bugs onto a currently mature tool.

More realistic to get, would be a few usability improvements, like drag-selecting groups of units and an undo-redo facility ... plus an update of its manual ... ideally a separate manual just for the Editor, with two sections: A Begginners Guide and a Reference Guide.

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

There was recently dev's call for features from users:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252485

so they're preparing the big updates and bug fixing. I think it's catered more toward experienced users. What new users would benefit from mostly are tutorials and guides.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

There was recently dev's call for features from users:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252485

so they're preparing the big updates and bug fixing. I think it's catered more toward experienced users. What new users would benefit from mostly are tutorials and guides.

Oh I did not know that. Thanks for pointing out. I could see that lots of things were put on the table there. Good to know updates are considered and user feedback is taken.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]