SARH only BVR Combat

The AMRAAMer

What does BVR combat look like when both aircrafts only have SARH missiles?

Usually, with AMRAAMs and R-77s, people will wait until pitbull and then break defensive. But how does one defend against an incoming SARH missile while supporting their own?

For example, if both I and an Su-27 fire a SARH at each other from 15 miles, how should I continue the engagement? If I wait until my missile impacts, I won't have enough time to defend against the enemy missile. Break defensive and my missile goes stupid. What should be done?

F-Pole is what you're looking for. Whoever forces his oppenent's missile to fly the longer intercept course, wins.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

What does BVR combat look like when both aircrafts only have SARH missiles?

Usually, with AMRAAMs and R-77s, people will wait until pitbull and then break defensive. But how does one defend against an incoming SARH missile while supporting their own?

For example, if both I and an Su-27 fire a SARH at each other from 15 miles, how should I continue the engagement? If I wait until my missile impacts, I won't have enough time to defend against the enemy missile. Break defensive and my missile goes stupid. What should be done?

Short answer: you cant go headon and expect to win.

You need to outsmart him and maneuver so that you can take a shot and he cant because he doesn't have you on the scope.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

theoretically, the guy with the longer stick wins (missile quality and inherited energy from forward speed of host aircraft) in practice it's mostly luck as chaff will decide whether your missile hits or not.

winning 1v1 will simply never be reliable. even with significant energy advantages attaining a non-mutual kill is going to be luck of the dice for the most part.

to win, bounce engaged enemies and maintain a high speed. ultimately, if you are engaged you should simply turn away and let your friends press.

you brought friends, i hope?

Winning the 1v1 is not reliable, surviving is. SA is much more of a factor in SARH duels compared to the usual ARH spamming because you're pretty much tunnelvision after committing to it.

If both sides see each other it's very unlikely either one can pull something to disappear long enough that it matters, especially against a good opponent. The only exceptions are extremely well thought out notches and exceptional terrain masking. Generally you can deal with both of these but every now and then the guy does it so well you just need to ditch the fight. When these things happen you need to have an internal clock that tells you how much time you have to find him based on the situation and if you can't do it it's better to get out.

In principle I found that against the average pilot, breaking up his typical engagement plan has severe effects on his fighting quality. Simply put if you do something out of the box often he will not know in time how to react. This can even mean very simple things like notching outside fighting range and returning later and you might find him pursuing other people with total disregard to you.

Once you're committed to the duel you want to arrive with much more energy than the other guy, get a powerful shot ( doesn't imply you must shoot first, but generally you should ) then dump it to reduce closure. Typically this results in a diving snake maneuver to minimize closure - which might change with updated APN missile guidance, we'll see.

If the other guy has the energy advantage you can either try to match him or pull the other extreme - play all the cards that trump his kill solution to you by flying low, notching, terrain masking etc. This is especially powerful against bandits flying above 30kft because you can sneak in under them from outside your fighting range and once you're within a certain range they are simply gimbal limited and are very unlikely to see you.

Once the missiles are flying you need to assess the quality of launches from both sides. If you think your shots fare better then you should push for the kill and if the other way around then you either need to abort or do something to dumpster his missile. This is again where notching comes into play. The opponent might have a good shot in the air but if you remove it from the equation by ditching the guidance you level the field. The only problem here is that your missile will also be wasted, and now he has the angle advantage on you - so you have to be very clever on when and how you turn back. If you can notch well enough that he loses you completely you can usually recommit and gain a first shot advantage but if it is not the case then you will only get an equal fight at best. In same cases you can take sneaky IR shots and run, but this usually doesn't work against good pilots.

What's also important is to be very smart with your missiles. In an Eagle you're carrying 4 Sparrows but you might absolutely need all of them to kill someone. Hell you might need a few of your 9s to make sure he's dead. Once you're in the fight there's no saving missiles, if you're close and you saw your shot fly dumb you need to followup immediately, if it's viable at all because in some cases this automatically means you either run or you're dead. Generally the closer you get the more intensive the spamming is because like other said these things are really not reliable.

There are 2 other main factors that matter most (probably as much or more compared to your fighting skills)

1. wingmen: now this is a very obvious one. What I noticed flying on blueflag is that when I flew with another 104th the chances of survival were much more consistent. If you fly smart and have the right SA you're almost immortal solo aswell, but having a buddy will make it much easier to handle surprises. Which leads to the other point:

2. flight planning: with ARH you can just about do whatever the heck you want, fly into the middle of an opposing country, kill everyone alone and then fly home - all alone. With SARH you really cannot do this because you're always limited to fighting one guy at a time, all the way until he's really dead. So you need to fly in a way where you position your enemies that you can fight them effectively ( one at a time) and you have a clear escape window. Making use of your air defenses is also something you can do and it's very effective. Obviously this also all matters when you're using ARHs but not nearly as much.