Advice on ground target strafing?

imacken

Imacken, do a search for "Dart's Page", he did a lot of entertaining videos about how to do stuff in the old IL-2 series. Under Movies, look for the one on how to use the sight to determine range. He uses some simple rules of thumb based on how the sight works (and Bag the Hun), including how to judge when to open up on soft targets like trucks, given that in aircraft with wing mounted guns, awareness of your convergence distance is imperative for effective strafing.

I looked at one of those videos, and I'm not sure that what happens in them relates at all to how tings work in DCS. I mean, he is being fired at by all sorts of units and they NEVER hit! Try what he does in DCS Spitfire, and you are a goner almost immediately.

The other thing that I notice a lot, is how rock steady the nose is in a lot of these videos. Mine wobbles around all over the place when I am trying to get an aim on a ground target.

Strange.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Has anyone done any proper tests to see how well the modern radar guided AAA copes with WWII aircraft compared to more modern types? In some ways, since things like the Spit can jink about a lot more, then perhaps they are not so accurate as they might be?

IRL, I'm guessing that they can predict something less twitchy such as an A-10 or SU-25 a lot better, but this is superhuman AI we are dealing with regardless of RADAR.

Has anyone done any proper tests to see how well the modern radar guided AAA copes with WWII aircraft compared to more modern types? In some ways, since things like the Spit can jink about a lot more, then perhaps they are not so accurate as they might be?

IRL, I'm guessing that they can predict something less twitchy such as an A-10 or SU-25 a lot better, but this is superhuman AI we are dealing with regardless of RADAR.

Heh, i am pretty sure that Bismarck accuracy on Swordfish's rule dont apply here in DCS :P Here even 50 cal on truck is amazingly accurate and radar SPAA have even longer range... So I would say much more deadly