Starting in cold wheather and how to deal with overpriming?

gulredrel

Hello,

created a mission in current Open Beta (DCS 2.5.2.20601 Update 9) where the OAT is -5°C in Beslan.

I was unable to get the engine to run. I gave 10 and more shots of prime. I did several attempts and all missed (incl. reloading the mission).

I primes while cranking so not to overprime, if this has been modelled.

Did anyone is able to start the Yak in such temperatures?

Is the a way to deal with overpriming? Mags off, throttle wide open and crank the engine?

Regards

Jens

I've got a mission with -12c and it starts fine. Are you doing primer knob right, (cylinder prime) and primer knob left (pipeline fill). I'm giving it about 5 pumps in each position. Then once it is cranking over the mags go on as per the manual.

Edited by lobo**

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Maybe priming is not final yet.

AcroGimp from this forum (and a Yak-52 owner and pilot) also noticed that priming the DCS Yak as he would with his airplane end up flooding the engine (iirc he does one shot per 10 degrees below 100°c AOT - so that would be 8 with 20°c AOT).

I also started the Yak with a -10°c AOT mission and 5 shots (cylinders) and 2 shots (pipeline) made it start without any issue. Then warm up cycle @ 51% RPM (by the manual) - also takes ages to get to temp ^_^

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

if you over prime then cut the mags, and turn the fuel off, then use the starter to spin the engine over and draw fuel out.

And that will also get rid of all your pneumatic air as well :)

Correct procedure is mags off battery off, open manifold drains manually pull prop through.... bit difficult in the sim as there is no ground crew command to pull prop through.

Edited by IvanK

And that will also get rid of all your pneumatic air as well :)

Correct procedure is mags off battery off, open manifold drains manually pull prop through.... bit difficult in the sim as there is no ground crew command to pull prop through.

Hence why i said leave the battery on, if we had a feature that would manually let us pull the prop through then sure but otherwise we're kinda stuck, besides at least if we cant get it started we can do this!

Edited by zcrazyx