MiG-29 PFM

Magic Zach

So, the only two jets I actually somewhat enjoy to fly are the SU-33 and any MiG-29. I am very pleased that the SU-33 is getting it's PFM soon, but HEY, what about the MiG-29? What about the MiG folks out there? PFM for the MiG-29?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 weeks later...
So, the only two jets I actually somewhat enjoy to fly are the SU-33 and any MiG-29. I am very pleased that the SU-33 is getting it's PFM soon, but HEY, what about the MiG-29? What about the MiG folks out there? PFM for the MiG-29?

Have you actually flown a jet that is not part of FC3?

One of my first jets was the F-15 but I did not not like the fake flight model. So then I got the A-10C, which was a great stable plane to fly but the weapons systems where too complex at first and I wanted something a bit faster. Then I got the F-86 which I really enjoyed flying and operating for its simplicity. And now my latest is the AJS-37 Viggen which is now my favorite jet! I have found it to be the perfect mix of simplicity and sophistication for any newbie and pro alike. I have become impressed by Swedish engineering after learning all of its systems.

In reference to Russian jets the Su33 is the only FC3 jet I kinda have an interest in trying out since the update was announced. By the way would the Mig-19 that is currently being developed interest you?

Not interested in the MiG-19. And yes, I only have the FC3 aircraft. I am a bit tight on money. I only get one module about every 3 or 4 months, if that.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Not interested in the MiG-19. And yes, I only have the FC3 aircraft. I am a bit tight on money. I only get one module about every 3 or 4 months, if that.

I can certainly understand not wanting to blow $60 for one jet. All of the modules I have bought I got on sale. So I would recommend just saving up and keeping tabs on the DCS site for news of the next sale. In the mean time I would recommend doing your research on other high fidelity models that might interest you. That is what led me to buy the Viggen. At first I knew nothing about it but the more I learned about it the more it interested me. I highly recommend it for its simple start up sequence, its stability, simple weapons systems. Heck you don't even have to worry about flaps because they are automatic. Plus it has a 3 stage afterburner. One of the Viggens features I love is the thrust reverser. I have been able to pull up just about every landing without ever running out of runway. Plus being able to back up the jet while taxing has come in very handy.

Check out this great review about the Viggen.

Edited by Evoman

I have FC3. I know.

The reason I enjoy the SU-33 is because it is fun to air refuel with it, even with a PFM. See the Multiplayer Addicts FB page and see the two separate posts of an SU-33 refueling inverted from a KC-135. Yours truly. The other reason is that it is carrier-capable. I've practiced the past 3 days on the AO server, and I have yet to crash, which apparently is unusual for a beginner at carrier landings in DCS.

I enjoy the MiG-29 simply because it is small and pretty. It is the only jet in DCS I enjoy looking at. I find the cockpit quite vivid and appealing, and the little plane can pick up speed rather quickly (however, I will note that it has the SFM). Also, it's rather fun to troll tall F-15s by parking under their wings, taxying under their wings, and when there is a long line of F-15s waiting to move onto the runway, I pass under them with ease, while they're all stuck.

Edited by Magic Zach

If Naval ops is your thing I hope you are considering the upcoming F/A 18 and F-14. The Tomcat is a day one buy for me and I might end up getting the Hornet on a sale.

But I hope they do a full fidelity module someday of the Mig-29 or SU-33. The problem has been that it has been hard to get the necessary data from Russia mostly because they are still classified. So until then the Mig-19 and Mig-21 will be the newest full fidelity Russian modules available.

By the way did you know the Viggen is able to land on Aircraft carries using its thrust reverser. lol

Edited by Evoman

FA-18 seems interesting. I'll wait and see what other people say about it until I buy it myself. That's what I did with the Spitfire. I'm crossing my fingers for a Corsair and Japanese Zeros. I still have the 190 to buy, and then I'll have all the WWII birds.

Having a fully interactive jet may be cool, and carrier capable to boot. I might get it, if everything falls just right.

Oh so your a WWII warbird guy. What would you say is your favorite one?

After playing so much War Thunder the F6F Hellcat became my favorite. It even led me to get into RC airplanes when I found out they made an all electric model of the Hellcat that was affordable compared to what RC planes cost years ago.

My favorite aircraft from WWII and in DCS is the P-51D Mustang, which is what we have in DCS, a P-51D-30 (even though the skins will say 20). The P-51D has been my icon and beloved fighter since I was 6, and first heard of it off of the History Channel. I only had one RC plane. It was cheap and made of foam. Had It for a month. I would let my dad try it occasionally, and every so often he'd crash it a little, but nothing too bad. One day, it suffered from the elevators locking downwards, nosedived, and broke to pieces. I blame dad because of all the scuffs he gave it.

Also had a rather high-grade RC helicopter, and according to the manual, I was far to young for it. It flew good (and I got rather good at it) until my much-older-than-me father decided to step in and give it a try...

The helicopter came home in pieces.

I then got a little drone with a 240p camera. My dad asked if he could fly it...

I learned: "Hell no!"

This has all gone rather far from on topic, but I don't believe this thread will make any actual progress. Some guy will probably post this exact same question in 8 months, and will get tenfold the response that I will get, because that's often the way.

Edited by Magic Zach

I did some research on the Mig-29 for any news of an update and all I found was this statement that was announced on Jan 8 2016: “Once we complete the flight model of the Spitfire IX, we will begin work on a new flight model for the MiG-29. Speaking of the MiG-29, we are also completing work on an all-new external model!”

The Mustang is indeed a beautiful iconic airplane. I just have not had the best experience with it in War Thunder. And from what I have read about the DCS module is that it has a big learning curve to master it. Add to that having to employ good engine management to keep from blowing the engine!

It was nice to read about your history with RC aircraft. Sorry to hear about the bad luck you have had.

Electric RC airplanes have come a long way in just the last few years. Ever since the introduction of lipo batteries with high discharge rates making them ideal for model aircraft. Nowadays most RC aircraft are made of molded foam that is highly detailed and come in RTF ( Ready to Fly) or ARF (Almost ready to Fly) kits that can be assembled in just a few hours or less. And they can range in size up to 78” wingspan.

You can find most of the best RC models currently on the market at MotionRC. If you do decide to get into the RC hobby I recommend starting out with an RC flight sim trainer or a trainer airplane such as the HobbyZone Mini Apprentice S with SAFE technology. It is better to crash in the sim or the trainer than in your fancy new Warbird. Lol

You can find all RC propeller warbirds here. https://www.motionrc.com/collections/warbirds

For Jets EDF ( Electric Ducted Fan) here: https://www.motionrc.com/collections/jets-and-ducted-fan

Here is a review of the Mini Apprentice S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOauT-KrZ4

Edited by Evoman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I read in the Jane's At the Controls book on the Mig-29 that the Fulcrum could cobra. The practical application of the cobra in combat as an example when you are in a turning fight with someone in your rear quarter you could cobra in the horizontal plane, which would momentarily crank your nose 180 degrees around the circle, setting you up for a HMD Archer snapshot.

I was wondering if the Cobra will be modeled for the Mig-29 PFM upgrade.

They don't model specific maneuvers, they model aerodynamics. That's the whole point of a PFM, it is not scripted.

Okay let me reword then since I didn't technically say it correctly.

Will the PFM Mig-29 be modeled so it is aerodynamically capable of performing a cobra in both the vertical and horizontal plane?

I thought we would have had a PFM for the Fulcrum by now...

Will the PFM Mig-29 be modeled so it is aerodynamically capable of performing a cobra in both the vertical and horizontal plane?

You didn't understand my response. It isn't scripted. It is aerodynamically modeled. So, if it is capable of a maneuver in RL it will be capable of it ingame. That's the whole point.

Beyond that nobody knows because it doesn't exist yet.

@Zach

If you helped them code it all this time, maybe we would. Several aircraft have received FMs and 3d models since this thread was started, which FC3 Owners received for free, one by one.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The SU-27 and SU-33 both have gotten a PFM update and both can do the Cobra maneuver, so why wouldn't the Mig-29?

I think there is no need to worry about this. :)

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

can wait to have mig29 PFM !!!

its gonna be awesome

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black