The B-17

SlipBall

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you guys, I can't wait to see this old girl in the game. All this talk of the Mighty Eighth game brought back some memories so I went looking for it and found it on www.gog.com for 6 bucks!

Heh, I did the same thing when the kickstarter began. It's still as hard as I remember it - having to use a joystick for the M2s, but man the gameplay was way ahead of its time!

This was what made the B-17 such an iconic aircraft; among the heavy bombers of its era, it was the easiest to fly accurately and in a 'tight' formation for mutual protection. Even so, there was no hydraulic (or electrical) boost for the controls, which meant that for many basic maneuvers you had to have a second set of arms and legs working the yokes & rudder pedals, there were literally dozens of gauges that needed to be closely monitored and the workload for the two pilots was such that somebody else had to keep track of the course, another guy had to juggle the radio communications and intercom, and five more men had to be dedicated almost solely to manning the guns aft of the cockpit.

Modeling this aircraft's systems at the same level as the existing DCS P-51D should need a network of at least 2 or 3 people just to get it off the ground, fly around, and safely back down. Chances are that you would need 6 or 7 to operate at minimum combat efficiency, or the AI interface will need to be brilliant.

I'd look for a couple of extra levels of 'play' for those who can only fly the Fortress offline or solo, with role-specific training programs for pilots, navigators/radio officers and flight engineers at a minimum (I do not envy the person assigned to creating that aircraft's manuals...)

That is going to be an enormous project.

cheers

horseback

If they could get it to the DCS P-51 level but "simulate" the extra hands needed to get it in the air and fly. Like an AI co pilot that could get wounded or killed making it harder to control the aircraft until a real live pilot jumps in the seat to help. Yeah it would be a huge undertaking but oh so cool.

Like "Otto" :D

airplane-movie-autopilot_zpsf21d9fb0.jpg

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

what a great comedy that was!! :megalol:

I wonder if in RL both the pilot and the co-pilot had their separate responsibilities. For example the different check list for pre-flight, landing etc., if the pilot does "A" and then the co-pilot would be as expected to do "B". If the team could design an co-pilot AI to do the expected response to what you the pilot just did, then B-17 SP could be possible and a lot of great fun. The AI would have to be patient and not just run down his own check list, but having to wait for the pilot to trigger his next move :)...AI calling out his action's would be awesome

Edited by GT 5.0

Looking at other threads and found one saying that the initial map is only going to be 100 x 160 km, not very big for bombers to stretch their legs. So with the release of our favorite bird we are going to need maps covering England to Berlin and maybe to Moscow. With the release of the map sdk to kickstarter backers....anyone here want to give it a try?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Those intractable B17 shots are fantastic, thanks for posting them. Really hope they can build a B17 for DCS, would throw money at a kickstarter or separate pay to access.

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder